Finance Assistant - Part-time 25 hours/wk
Finance Assistant - Part-time 25 hours/wk
Annual Salary: £25,000 fte (inc £2,500 LW) pro rata for 25 hours
Conditions: 25 days annual leave pro rata + 5% contribution to a personal pension plan on satisfactory completion of probation period.
Hours: 25 hours per week, times by arrangement but must include some hours worked on Thursdays & Fridays. Some out of hours work may be required for which time off in lieu will be granted.
Location: Ataxia UK Office, 12 Broadbent Close, London, N6 5JW.
Reporting to: Head of Finance and Administration
Main purpose of job:
To fulfil the finance assistant role and to help manage the day to day administration of the company.
Finance & Data entry
- Entering the following transactions in an accurate and timely fashion into the accounting system:
- Purchase invoices and credit notes
- Sales invoices and credit notes
- Petty cash transactions
- Credit card transactions
- Income transactions
- Staff and trustee expense claims
- Conference and other bursary claims
- Entering income transactions into the fundraising database in an accurate and timely fashion ensuring that donations are gift aided where appropriate.
- Maintaining the Petty Cash float and ensuring payments are recorded properly with the necessary supporting paperwork retained.
- Processing cheque and BACS payments in an accurate and timely manner ensuring that these are properly authorised and retaining records of authorisation.
- Ensuring that all purchase invoices, purchase credit notes, sales invoices, sales credit notes, credit card and petty cash documentation, trustee and expenses claims, documentation accompanying income transactions, conference and other bursary documentation are properly retained and filed.
- Producing accurate monthly reconciliations for income, bank accounts and petty cash in accordance with monthly deadlines
- Producing reports from financial and fundraising software on a monthly basis as requested
- Assisting in the preparation of the monthly management accounts, budgets, reforecasts, comparisons against budget, quarterly projections, balance sheet summaries and cash flow forecasts as required.
- Ensuring that banking of all cheques and cash is at least once a week and that amounts banked agree with Raisers Edge before banking is done.
- Ensuring that incoming post is opened in accordance with post opening instructions and that all income is properly recorded.
- Undertake financial administration to support Ataxia UK’s welfare and travel grant schemes.
- Any other ad hoc work as necessary.
- To participate with the rest of the team in the reception function e.g. answering the telephone and receiving visitors to the office
- If required, to undertake procurement of office goods e.g. stationary
- Attend supervisions and staff meetings as required
- Undertake professional development and training as required
- Monitor and proactively seek ways of improving systems and procedures to ensure efficiency, user friendliness and maximum impact
- In all areas of work ensure that due attention is given to compliance with Ataxia UK policy and the law regarding issues such as health and safety, confidentiality, data protection and risk management
- Undertake other reasonable duties as required
- A minimum of 2 years office bookkeeping/accounting experience
- Experience of finance data entry
- Commitment to working with people with ataxia
- Knowledge and understanding of the barriers faced by people with a disability.
- Ability to take a sympathetic and patient approach when dealing with our Friends (members).
- Articulate & numerate. Educated to GCSE (or equivalent) standard including English and Maths.
- Able to develop professional and effective relationships with colleagues and supporters.
- Systematic approach, with good attention to detail.
- Ability to manage workload, learn new skills and work to deadlines
- Competent in Microsoft Office
- Commitment to equal opportunities
- Support for the ethical use of animals in medical research and human embryonic stem cell research
- Willingness to undertake training as required
- Relevant finance or accounting qualification or working towards one is desirable.
- Experience of working within the voluntary sector (paid or unpaid).
- Experience of Raiser’s Edge or similar database
To apply please submit your CV and covering letter detailing your suitability for this role and how you meet the Person Specification, via the below method.