Automation Manager - Open to flexibility
Automation Manager - Open to flexibility
- HNC or engineering degree
- Masters Degree in Automation, Chartered
Exciting job opportunity to join the Maidenhead site as a Controls and Instrumentation Manager. The Maidenhead site is part of GSK’s global manufacturing and supply (GMS) which is responsible for making and shipping the products that help people do more, feel better, live longer. We have more than 27,000 people in GMS, across 86 sites in 36 countries. Together, these people help to produce 4 billion packs of medicine.
Maidenhead is one of the most advanced operations of its kind in the world. Dedicated to the production of Oral Healthcare brands such as Aquafresh, Sensodyne & Macleans, producing in excess of 400,000,000 tubes of toothpaste and 18 million bottles of Mouthwash per year. For consumers across Europe and the Middle East.
- As job holder you will lead and manage the site automation strategy, the reliability, maintenance and performance improvement of the automation infrastructure for the site producing ≈400 million units per annum.
- Lead the Controls and Instrumentation team to ensure compliance of the automation & instrumentation infrastructure with statutory, GSK and site quality and safety requirements and to deliver improved business performance.
- You will lead, manage, develop and coach the Controls and Instrumentation teams skills and behaviours to facilitate rapid problem solving and investigation activities for all automation issues; automation capital project execution aligned to automation strategy and instrumentation / automation infrastructure maintenance and obsolescence.
- You will support the site in meeting site and department in delivering Safety, Quality, Customer Service and Cost objectives.
Key Responsibilities of job holder:
- You will be responsible for developing, owning, implementing and updating the site Automation Strategy aligned to the site strategy, Global Engineering Standards & Global IT strategy, ensuring that site Automation standards are managed adhered to and updated.
- Providing team leadership, resources and development to support the business in terms of safety (EHS); quality - QMS (Quality Management System); plant & equipment performance (Customer service), delivery of effective maintenance, breakdown resolution; root cause analysis and continuous improvement for the automation and instrumentation infrastructure
- Leading the definition and delivery of the skills training programme for all engineering staff on site for instrumentation and control systems such that the capability of the site technicians meets the requirements of the business, including:
- Technical up-skilling & mastery
- Skills development to stay ahead of increasing technology in the field of instrumentation, control technology and GSK standards
- On-going GEMBA and coaching
- Machinery and Process Safety
- Managing and leading (where applicable) interaction with the site project management team and the GMS central organisation for automation projects. Challenge projects, supplied equipment and procedures where appropriate including provision of technical guidance for the design and installation of instrumentation and control systems, process control, DCS, PLC’s and SCADA systems, ensuring that the relationship between the departments is efficient and productive.
- Managing and leading (where applicable) automation capital projects and deliver scope within cost, quality and time expectations using the appropriate project management tools & techniques.
- Managing and leading continuous improvement programmes and projects including the development and optimization of operation and maintenance procedures for instrumentation and automation / control systems. Including the ownership of software change control process and the provision and control of programmable devices and the control of the programs and data used to control the production plant and equipment.
- Managing the tender and appoint contractors for the supply of automation services, plant and equipment, installation or service work for Production operations, such that they contain appropriate technical specifications are delivered as required and represent value for money.
- Managing the compliance with the quality management systems for the department including the calibration schedule for production equipment and services, driving down cost and decreasing the generation of out of compliance notifications.
- Taking ownership and managing the site disaster recovery procedures, network drawings, IP address and software register for all site control systems
- Providing technical expertise during regulatory audits and support statutory inspection requirements, machinery safety and Guidance on suitability.
- Ensuring that GMP, quality, health & safety processes, regulatory compliance and GSK standards are adhered by the team and in all aspects of the role.
Job-Related Experience required:
- Extensive experience working in an FMCH and GMP compliant environment
- Experience in developing and implementing automation strategies in a highly automated manufacturing environment
- Proven capability of designing, specifying, managing and improving control and automation systems including –
- Motion Control
- Data Acquisition
- Machine safety
- Automated Control Networks
- SCADA / HMIs
- Experience of successfully delivering capital projects >£1m
- Significant problem solving skills with a proven record of resolving major issues at their root cause through working with the engineering, technical and operational teams
- Experience of leading and managing multi skilled technicians and support engineers in the manufacturing environment, to include performance management, objective setting, coaching/mentoring, development and prioritization
- Experience in developing close links with key site customers (quality, operations, EHS)
- Experience of providing and presenting data and recommendations to site leadership teams to facilitate and influence timely and effective decision making.
- Demonstrated knowledge of engineering standards and statutory requirements for plant, machinery and workplaces applicable to a large volume consumer products factory.
Please click Apply to continue.
Important notice to Employment businesses/ Agencies
GSK does not accept referrals from employment businesses and/or employment agencies in respect of the vacancies posted on this site. All employment businesses/agencies are required to contact GSK's commercial and general procurement/human resources department to obtain prior written authorization before referring any candidates to GSK. The obtaining of prior written authorization is a condition precedent to any agreement (verbal or written) between the employment business/ agency and GSK. In the absence of such written authorization being obtained any actions undertaken by the employment business/agency shall be deemed to have been performed without the consent or contractual agreement of GSK. GSK shall therefore not be liable for any fees arising from such actions or any fees arising from any referrals by employment businesses/agencies in respect of the vacancies posted on this site.