Corporate Governance Team, Assurance - London - Maternity Cover
1 year maternity cover (full time, but willing to consider 4 days a week)
Starting January/February 2017
About EY’s Corporate Governance team
The Corporate Governance (CG) team was established in March 2013. Its aim is to help the audit practice win and defend FTSE 350 audit clients, by using corporate governance as a brand differential. It is a small team of 6 people within UK&I Assurance.
EY and Vision 2020
EY is a global professional services organisation providing advisory, assurance, tax and transaction services. We are committed to doing our part in building a better working world for our people, our clients and our communities. And we are united by our shared values and a dedication to delivering exceptional client service
We have ambitious goals for 2020. Globally, we want to be #1 or #2 in professional services and be the best brand. To achieve this, our teams need to perform at the highest level, and have a relentless focus on delivering the excellent client service that will help us to continue to grow and become the market leader. In this context, your career will develop and grow.
We make sure our people succeed. The networks you build and the experiences you have with us will help define and accelerate the rest of your career. Last year in the UK, nearly 2,000 of our people were promoted or progressed within their grade, and we are significantly increasing the number of partners in the UK. So when you build something better at EY, we make sure you’re rewarded.
What does the CG team do?
- Engage with some of our largest clients and targets to present corporate governance developments and share insights and best practices
- Produce thought leadership, publications and other collateral on Corporate Governance matters to help engage with our clients and targets
- Raise EY’s profile by speaking at and/or hosting events and conferences on corporate governance matters
- Support audit pursuits
- Attend listed client meetings and events
- Help prepare meeting materials for client meetings and pursuit documents
- Perform reviews of annual report and accounts
- Drive research and analysis on Corporate Governance matters
- Write, plan and deliver thought leadership – recent publications that the Corporate Governance team have produced include “Annual reporting in 2015: evolving communication in a changing world” (September 2016), “Governing culture: practical considerations for the board and its committees” (June 2016), “Nomination committee – coming out the shadows” (May 2016)
- Support the Executive Director with the operation of the team
- People - manage workload across the team and review the work of the junior members of the team
- Internal network - key contact point for Business Development, Marketing, Company Secretarial team and the People Advisory Services team.
Required Skills and Experience:
- Fundamentally you must have a passion for corporate governance and good knowledge of the UK’s regulatory and legal framework in which listed companies are governed.
- Organised with high attention to detail
- Excellent project management skills
- A team player
- Analytically minded
- Good communication skills, including PowerPoint and writing skills
What will you gain from the role?
- An excellent grounding the corporate governance framework in the UK including standards and guidance
- Practical experience of how corporate governance matters are being addressed at corporates
- Ability to critique and review PLC annual reports and accounts and pose questions
- Opportunity to attend client meetings with EY partners/directors - we are regularly in meetings with FDs, Company Secretaries, Group FCs, Heads of IR, and audit committees
- An opportunity to improve/enhance your presentation and technical writing skills
- Develop a good internal network - we work with other EY departments/SLs who work in the broader Corporate Governance arena as well as audit teams from all sectors
The role is based in London, however EY supports flexible working and the team are happy to consider individuals who are looking to work 4 days a week.
EY is committed to being an inclusive employer and we are happy to consider flexible working arrangements. We strive to achieve the right balance for our people, enabling us to deliver excellent client service whilst allowing you to build your career without sacrificing your personal priorities. While our client-facing professionals can be required to travel regularly, and at times be based at client sites, our flexible working arrangements can help you to achieve a lifestyle balance.