Gene Data Domain Owner - Open to flexibility
5 days left
- Contract Type
Gene Data Domain Owner - Open to flexibility
- PhD or equivalent experience in scientific, computational or mathematical scientific domain
- Demonstrated successful experience in delivering informatics solutions to scientists
- Broad knowledge of drug development and discovery with deeper experience in how genes/pathways are selected and validated in R&D
- Sound knowledge of the data types and sources (internal and external)relevant to the gene domain and how they can be used and combined to improve and advance decision making
- Demonstrated skills to line manage and lead PhD level bioinformaticians and/or scientists
- Demonstrate competencies to work, collaborate and deliver with external partners (e.g. technology providers, academics)
Why is using our gene data so important ? ...
Selecting a gene as a target to pursue is a key decision in drug discovery and development with a final outcome (e.g. an efficacious and safe medicine) that may not be known for many years. The scientific opportunities on how to do this in a data driven way have never been as exciting. In addition to more traditional approaches, the rapid development of high-throughput genome scale technologies has revolutionised how genes and pathways can be associated with diseases and potential targets validated. These approaches are generating vast amount of diverse data externally and internally that need to be managed, integrated with other relevant information and made available as easily as possible to GSK scientists for queries and decision making.
Maximising this accessibility, via “data domains” that group like-minded data together, is a key part of utilising the new tools and capabilities being introduced by the R&D Data CoE.
How can you help? - Summary of new role ...
Specifically, for the Gene Data Domain, we are looking for an “Owner” that will be accountable to set-up and execute the domain strategy in this rapidly evolving area. He/she will have the opportunity to work with external key strategic scientific initiatives (e.g. Open Targets, Altius) that are generating relevant data in the gene domain. The role is located in the Target Sciences (TSci) organisation reporting to the Head of Computational Biology and Stats and will have responsibility for the TSci data and scientific computing strategy.
The successful candidate will also have a dotted line to senior leadership in the R&D Data CoE and will work very closely with the DPUs, other scientific platform organisations such as PTS and R&D IT to implement and demonstrate value of an integrated data strategy for the gene domain. In this role it will also be important to build strong relationships and have credibility with key external opinion leaders. This is an exciting and rapidly evolving scientific domain with interesting data challenges where the successfully candidate will need to demonstrate strong leadership, content expertise and change management skills to help GSK fully realise the potential of the data available.
- Responsible for developing and executing a data domain strategy, each domain being aligned to a business classification of data e.g. Clinical, Assay, Gene etc
- Leads a partnership with the R&D business lines, Data CoE, Domain sponsors and domain stakeholders (providers/consumers) to plan on a 1-5 year horizon including;
- Leading definition of Domain scope and population (data sources/types) ordering including oversight on the quality of the data, length back in history (scientific/business obsolescence), cost v’s curation, and prioritisation of emerging strategic and new sources internally and externally
- Leads the oversight on Domain sensitivities/security/access/legal considerations (eg asset divestment)
- Thought leadership on Domain standards, ontologies (both content and metadata) and the processes / resources for on-going curation
- Sets and delivers Domain integration requirements to the Platform team and business lines
- Co-owns Cross-Domain collaboration (how does this domain fit into the ecosystem), how data is shared across domains and how it is used longitudinally.
- Delivers, Manages and Leads the SME workflow to deliver data curation process including negotiation and change management of data creation with appropriate meta data and embedding of new processes to standardise data for example machine learning approaches
- Supports development of change management plans and leads execution of delivery within the R&D lines to identify and engage the right SMEs, securing the appropriate amount of time needed by the SMEs (i.e., ~20%)
- Supports the value creation (information as an asset), monitoring and reporting of this domain population and usage to others.
- Govern the access/control policy for the domain (facilitated by CoE framework)
- Provide/enforce guidance relative to GxP re-use of data
- Supports the Data CoE Innovation and Incubation group to define and prioritise use cases and delivery approaches
- Works alongside the Data CoE and R&D IT to ensure that the domain strategy and roadmap has a supported and sustainable IT roadmap, particularly with regard to lifecycle management of key sources on the R&D inventory
- Co-Leadership of Collaboration/Engagement with other domain owners
- Provides line management leadership of data experts where needed and leads relevant business lines with data stewardship plans and processes that drive re-use of data
This role operates across all/multiple R&D business lines as part of the CoE, and also within the relevant business lines – for example PCPS or PTS with support and guidance from the Data CoE. The impact of this role will span R&D and also set GSK up as having competitive advantage against external competitors.
The Domain strategy and delivery is supported directly by Patrick Vallance and the R&D exec and the domain owner will work with the R&D exec right through the lines to people creating and curating data
When applying for this role, please use the 'cover letter' of the on-line application to clearly describe how you meet the competencies for this role, as outlined in the job requirements above. The information that you have provided in your cover letter will be used to assess your application.
Thank you for your interest in this opportunity.
GSK is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive equal consideration for employment without regard to race, color, national origin, religion, sex, pregnancy, marital status, sexual orientation, gender identity/expression, age, disability, genetic information, military service, covered/protected veteran status or any other federal, state or local protected class.
Important notice to Employment businesses/ Agencies
GSK does not accept referrals from employment businesses and/or employment agencies in respect of the vacancies posted on this site. All employment businesses/agencies are required to contact GSK's commercial and general procurement/human resources department to obtain prior written authorization before referring any candidates to GSK. The obtaining of prior written authorization is a condition precedent to any agreement (verbal or written) between the employment business/ agency and GSK. In the absence of such written authorization being obtained any actions undertaken by the employment business/agency shall be deemed to have been performed without the consent or contractual agreement of GSK. GSK shall therefore not be liable for any fees arising from such actions or any fees arising from any referrals by employment businesses/agencies in respect of the vacancies posted on this site.