Financial Controller, part time, 1-2 days per week (or equivalent flex time)
Limmud Financial Controller (Part Time)
Limmud, an international charity based in the UK, dedicated to Jewish learning and community development, is seeking a Financial Controller.
The position is part time, one to two days per week (or equivalent flex time) during normal working hours, with some requirement to be available for occasional meetings or calls in the evening or on Sundays. The position is based in North London. The vacancy is immediate.
Interested candidates should submit a CV and cover letter by Monday 18 February 2019 (including two professional references and salary expectations) to Jon Freedman, Deputy Director via the application method below.
Only suitable candidates that fulfil the requirements of the below position description will be contacted.
Reporting to the Deputy Director of Limmud, the Financial Controller, a qualified accountant (Chartered, CIMA or ACCA), will take responsibility for managing financial processes and providing sensitive, mission critical reporting for a growing charity operating across the UK and overseas. The Financial Controller will also be accountable to the Treasurer on the organisation’s Board of Trustees and will be responsible for providing financial information and reports to the Treasurer. A part time bookkeeper will report to the Financial Controller.
The candidate must:
- Be a qualified accountant (Chartered, CIMA or ACCA)
- Have a minimum of five years of relevant financial accounting experience, with an emphasis on management accounting, financial reporting, and development of financial processes
- Have proven experience in Sage up to accounts production
- Be an advanced user of Excel, and have analytical experience and skills
- Have experience of Charity financial reporting, governance, and oversight
- Demonstrate a commitment to creating and maintaining strong and effective internal controls, and to delivering high quality, complete and accurate information to senior management on a timely basis
- Possess the right to work in the UK (no relocation package available)
- Be highly numerate with strong presentation and writing skills
- Be proficient in English, with excellent communication skills, particularly the ability to communicate financial information simply
- Be able to work alone or as part of a team
- Be self-motivated
- Be able to build trust, working professionally with strong work ethics
- The Financial Controller will be joining a seasoned team of Limmud professionals. They will supervise the work of a part time bookkeeper, and oversee financial processes also involving other staff members and volunteers.
- The Financial Controller will oversee financial processes and controls, making recommendations for improvements and implementing changes as needed.
- They will be responsible for creating and maintaining policies and procedures for these financial processes, training other staff and volunteers, and supporting these users as needed to ensure compliance.
- The Financial Controller will have primary responsibility for managing Limmud’s use of the SAGE system for optimal effectiveness, and will make a regular review for ongoing improvement. They will work with other staff members and volunteers to also optimise the interfaces with other systems, including those of our banks and service providers.
- This person will be responsible for appropriate recognition of fundraising income, and communication with other staff and volunteers with reporting and data for further action.
- They will be responsible for production and delivery of financial data, including monthly management accounts, cash flow forecasts, fundraising metrics, and other financial reports as necessary and agreed, including ad hoc information and reporting deliverables as requested by senior management and/or Trustees. The Controller will need to be able to disseminate financial information in simple language and formats for a wide audience of staff, Board, and volunteers, some of whom will not be familiar with financial reporting.
- They will support production of budgets and provide data and reporting against them.
- The Financial Controller will work with the external auditors to support production of the annual accounts, and provide input where necessary for compliance reporting including the annual Charities Commission return.
- They will ensure GiftAid is successfully claimed and paid to Limmud in a timely manner.
- The Financial Controller will assist members of Limmud’s board/volunteer leadership, particularly the Treasurer, including participating in relevant volunteer meetings.