Financial Controller - Part Time - London
3 days left
- Contract Type
English Touring Opera is seeking a part-time Financial Controller to lead its financial operations.
The Financial Controller will provide vital support to ETO’s Executive Director and is a key role with one of the UK’s leading opera companies, which produces and tours work across the UK.
This is a new position and the right candidate will have scope to make it their own, working with a talented, energetic and dedicated team to make ETO’s shows happen.
Purpose of Role
The Financial Controller is a key financial officer of the company and supports the Executive Director in ensuring clear and accurate reporting of financial information to the Board and stakeholders, and in providing relevant accounting and tax expertise to benefit the company.
The Financial Controller will work closely with the full time, permanent Finance Manager and support their professional development.
Key Areas of Responsibility
The key areas of responsibility are:
- Preparation of quarterly management accounts including narrative reporting for the Finance Committee and Board
- Monitoring of cash flow and preparation of cash flow forecasts
- Compilation of business plans and budgets and reporting against actuals in management accounts
- Compilation of financial and other statistical information for submission to the Arts Council and other stakeholders
- Drafting of annual financial statements, including narrative reports, pre-audit preparation and liaison with auditors
- Preparation of tax claims (Theatre Tax Relief) and VAT returns
- Preparation of monthly payroll information for ETO’s external payroll services provider
The Financial Controller will contribute to the work of other departments within ETO and carry out, within reason, other duties to further the objectives of the company, acting as an ambassador for the company at all times.
Time Commitment and Working Approach
2-3 days per week (40-60% of a full-time role). Flexible hours will be considered (eg a 3-day working week spread over 4-5 days). The post will be based at ETO’s Farringdon office.
Essential Qualifications, Skills & Experience
- CIMA Professional Qualification
- A minimum of 5 years’ professional experience
- Excellent communication skills (written, verbal)
- An ability to explain financial concepts and accounts procedures effectively to colleagues who are not financially trained
- An aptitude for team-work and supporting others
- Meticulous attention to detail and numerical accuracy
- Good working knowledge of Sage Accounts or a similar accounts package (ETO uses Sage 50 Accounts)
- Excellent Excel skills
Desirable Qualifications, Skills, Interests & Experience
- Experience of charity accounts
- Experience of subsidised theatre accounts
- Experience of Creative Tax Relief claims
- Experience of VAT Partial Exemption in a theatre context
- An interest in the arts (especially theatre, music, opera)
- Experience of managing and/or training people, especially developing accounting talent
- Experience as part of an audit team might be an advantage
Terms & Conditions
Gross Salary: £35k-£40k p.a. full time equivalent dependent on experience - pro rata’d for 40-60% of a full time role (ie 2 or 3 days p.w.). Payable in monthly instalments on the final Friday of every month, in arrears.
Holiday: 20 days p.a. full time equivalent pro rata’d rising to 25 days p.a. full time equivalent pro rata’d after 2 years’ service – plus all Bank Holidays (also pro rata’d for the days p.w. worked);
Pension: Employees are automatically enrolled into ETO’s pension scheme (managed by Royal London), to which ETO will contribute 4% and the employee will contribute 4% of salary, starting with the first salary payment. (Employees have the right to opt out of the scheme.)
Probationary period: 6 months
Notice of termination: 1 month on either side during the probationary period. On successful completion of the probationary period, this will increase to three months either side.
Office base: London (currently at 50 Britton Street, London EC1M 5UP)
Working hours: Flexible – ie 2-3 days’ work may be spread over 3-5 days p.w. ETO’s core office hours are Monday to Friday, 10am to 6pm, including a 1 hour lunch-break.
Training & Professional Development: ETO offers on-the-job training to be negotiated (special conditions may apply depending on the package). ETO also agrees and supports a Professional Development Plan with each of its employees after successful completion of the probation period.
Expenses: Travel will not be a requirement of the role, but should any travel, accommodation, hospitality or any other reasonable expenses be incurred in the service of ETO, they will be reimbursed on presentation of receipts, subject to the terms of ETO’s current expenses policies.
1) Covering letter demonstrating your suitability for the role, referring to the Person Specification above (No more than 2 sides of A4)
2) Your CV (No more than 2 sides of A4)
3) Contact details of 2 referees, one of whom should be your current or most recent employer. (Please indicate in each case how you know them and at what stage they may be approached)
4) Details of your availability for interview in London on 28th or 29th March 2019 (these are the dates provisionally scheduled for first-round interviews);
4) A completed Equal Opportunities form .(This is for monitoring only and will be detached from your application on receipt. It will not form part of the selection process. See GDPR information below.)
Please send (by email only) to Jane-Eve Straughton:
Strictly 5pm, 22nd March 2019
First Round Interviews:
Provisionally scheduled 28th & 29th March 2019 in central London (Farringdon)
GENERAL DATA PROTECTION REGULATION 2018 (GDPR)
You may be familiar with the EU General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR) which came into effect in May 2018.
The data you provide as part of your application will be held securely – in accordance with GDPR - and accessible only to those involved in the recruitment process. It will not be used for any other purpose.
Once the recruitment process is over, should you be unsuccessful your data will be stored for a maximum of 12 months, then destroyed. If you are appointed, your application form will be retained and form the basis of your personnel record. By applying, you give your consent to your data being stored and processed in this way.
If you complete an Equal Opportunities Monitoring form and include it with your application, you consent to the information you provide in it being stored anonymously and processed exclusively for the purposes of Equal Opportunities monitoring.
ETO’s full privacy notice can be found on its website here: http://englishtouringopera.org.uk/site/privacy-policy/
Apply for Financial Controller - Part Time - London
Already uploaded your CV? Sign in to apply instantly
More searches like this
- Finance £30,000 - £40,000 part time jobs in London (Central)
- Accountancy £30,000 - £40,000 part time jobs in London (Central)
- Finance Department £30,000 - £40,000 part time jobs in London (Central)
- Admin £30,000 - £40,000 part time jobs in London (Central)
- Charity £30,000 - £40,000 part time jobs in London (Central)