Insurance Accounting Advisory - Senior Manager, Open to flexible working
Job Description Summary:
To take ownership of allocated assignments in a way that meets and exceeds the clients expectations while taking responsibility for managing and developing employees and getting involved in business development.
Come and think independently with an organisation that’s doing the same. We’re determined to help shape a Vibrant Economy in the UK and beyond. It’s why we empower our people to bring new ideas to the table and take the lead in driving them forward. It’s invigorating. It’s inspiring. It’s creating opportunities every day for our clients, our business, and everyone here. So bring your passion, ambitions and ideas, and together, let’s make change happen.
Helping clients of all shapes and sizes, in financial services advisory we support businesses who make a major contribution to the growth of the economy in the UK and beyond. You’ll provide financial services organisations of many different sizes with the advice and solutions they need to unlock sustainable growth or navigate complex risks and challenges. You’ll help them achieve their business goals, enable them to grow sustainably and in turn help to shape a vibrant economy.
About the team
The Financial Services Group at Grant Thornton is looking for exceptional performers at Senior Manager level to join the Actuarial and Risk team to deliver on IFRS 17 Projects. You will have a strong knowledge of either non-life or life insurance accounting and be a good all round team player with a proven track record in building and sustaining client relationships. You should be ACA qualified (or equivalent), and have experience of managing finance change programmes or assisting clients with accounting advice and be used to working to tight deadlines and handling pressure.
You will be responsible for winning and delivering accounting change programmes in particular in relation to IFRS 17 implementation, ensuring the high quality of our advice and support to our clients. You will also lead and coach your team members, and manage relationships with senior level clients. More broadly, you will also contribute to the running of our business unit, including business and people development.
As a Senior Manager, you’ll work as part of a team of problem solvers with extensive consulting and industry experience, helping our clients solve their complex business issues in relation to IFRS 17 and IFRS 9 from strategy to execution. Specific responsibilities include but are not limited to
- Proactively assist in the management of a portfolio of clients, while reporting to Directors and above
- Be involved in the financial management of clients
- Be actively involved in business development activities to help identify and research opportunities on new/existing clients
- Develop project strategies to solve complex technical challenges for our clients
- Manage and deliver large projects by developing the project team, assessing engagement risks throughout, driving conclusions, and reviewing / challenging the output produced by the team
- Shape and deliver projects to meet and exceed the expectations of our clients and our own quality criteria
- Train, coach, and supervise team members
- Continue to develop internal relationships and developing your Grant Thornton brand
About the role
Insurance is a fast growing business with a unique assurance division offering a broad range of services, tailored to assist Insurers grow and overcome the complex challenges they face. Our client base varies – Global multinationals, through to private equity backed businesses and start-ups.
You will gain experience across a wide variety of markets and industry sectors including life insurance, retail GI, reinsurance, and Property and Casualty insurance.
As part of the assurance team you will work primarily on accounting change engagements, with the insurance sector experiencing unprecedented change through the impact of IFRS 17 the new accounting standard for measuring insurance contracts. This provides an excellent opportunity for strong candidates to broaden their experience and rapidly progress within our firm.
The following skills are required for this role
- ACA or equivalent
- Focused and initiative driven (required to maximise growth potential)
- Experience of working with clients in either the FS or more specifically Insurance industries
- A passion for delivering an exceptional client service
- Proven ability in leading audit engagements, including planning, controlling and completing a diverse range of assignments
- Strong analytical and organisational abilities
- Experience in supervising and developing staff
- Proven track record of establishing and maintaining strong client relationships
- Experience of supervising and developing staff through coaching
- Strong project management
- Knowledge of International Accounting Standards, US GAAP and a life insurance background would be an advantage
- Strong team-working skills
- Desire for continuous improvement
- Highly developed listening and questioning techniques
Becoming a shared enterprise
Our unique culture is built around collaboration. Everybody here plays their part. We share ideas. We share responsibility. We share the rewards. Put simply, we’re better together.
The time you spend outside of work helps shape what you can bring to our firm. We value the commitments you may have outside of work and will consider all flexible working applications.