Senior Marketing Effectiveness Manager, Open to flexible working
Diageo is the world's largest premium alcoholic beverages company, and home to one of the world's leading consumer marketing teams. Over the last 2 years, Diageo has invested in developing and launching a cutting edge Marketing Effectiveness capability known as Catalyst. The goal is to enable every marketer in the business to measure and optimise the performance of every pound of their marketing budget.
Globally, Diageo is targeting delivery of an incremental £70M profit growth per annum from improvements to the performance of its marketing investments. Core to delivering this will be continued enhancement and application of our Catalyst platform, combined with an ongoing focus on training and capability development across our global marketing organisation.
The Global Marketing Effectiveness team is the specialist group that leads this programme, awarded by both the IPA in Europe, and ANA in North America in 2018 for its pioneering work on marketing effectiveness. Based centrally within the Diageo organisation, they are responsible both for managing and enhancing our marketing effectiveness technology platforms and partnering closely with every one of Diageo’s ‘in-country’ subsidiaries to drive application of this technology whilst building local capability and culture to deliver higher performing marketing every day.
The team is organised regionally, with one Senior Manager assigned to each of the following areas:
- Europe & North America
- Latin America and the Caribbean
- Asia Pacific
The Senior Marketing Effectiveness Manager - Europe & North America will be the leading functional specialist within Diageo for driving the marketing effectiveness agenda within the region they manage. They will be directly accountable for delivery of financial performance goals from marketing for that region, as well as building capability across a diverse set of countries, cultures and personalities. In addition, the role holder will be given global accountability for leading specific capability enhancement projects. The role holder will have a high degree of autonomy to deliver results in the way they deem most effective.
Direct responsibility for ensuring the delivery of the share of the ~£70M p.a. marketing effectiveness profit target associated with the region being managed by the role-holder. The role holder is also responsible for the working effectively with key external partners. Budgets and expenditure with these partners will need to be managed by the role holder.
This is a complex role requiring advanced problem solving and influencing skills. The role holder will have to work across ~40 different countries simultaneously to support implementation of a common solution at scale and manage the associated cultural change.
This role carries the responsibility of being a leading subject matter expert for Diageo on marketing effectiveness. The success of a leader in this role hinges on their ability to drive action from a large and complex organisation of hundreds of marketers to spend their money differently.
Purpose of Role:
The role exists to create a virtuous culture of Marketing Performance, Measurement & Evaluation in Diageo, to increase the impact of our investment in A&P.
Top 5 Accountabilities:
- Drive delivery of the regional marketing financial performance target through utilisation of Diageo’s marketing effectiveness platform to the entire marketing budget in that region.
- Build capability across all Diageo marketing teams within the region – through a combination of developing a network of marketing effectiveness specialists in each country, and broader training for the wider marketing population. The goal is to drive a deep change in behaviour applying marketing effectiveness principles to every investment decision.
- Manage and continually enhance the marketing analytics programme that underpins the marketing effectiveness capability in each region.
- Work with colleagues in the Marketing Effectiveness team to synthesise key learnings and insights into marketing performance and ensure they are fed back to key decision makers effectively.
- Continuously and actively seek out further enhancements of Diageo’s marketing effectiveness capability to unlock further value.
Qualifications and Experience Required:
- Minimum Bachelors/Masters degree level education, preferably in Economics, Mathematics, Statistics, Engineering, Computer or Physical Sciences from a top tier university.
- Significant experience in similar consumer marketing organisations and/or marketing effectiveness consultancies and/or econometric modelling agencies and/or top-tier management consultancies – reaching at least Project Manager level.
- Able to demonstrate experience directly driving business change in a client / market facing capacity. This should include experience working directly with business leaders at all levels of seniority.
- Experience applying statistical analysis techniques to various business problems is required (e.g. econometric analysis, forecasting / response curves, elasticity modelling, benchmarking), as role will involving managing and quality controlling third party analytics providers.
- Outstanding communication and influencing skills are critical.
Location / flexible working
- London based at Diageo Global HQ
- Can work from home 1 day per week
- Some travel to key regional countries (up to 8 weeks per annum)
- Must be comfortable working remotely with others, flexing working hours where necessary