About Hire Me My Way
17 Apr 2016
The Hire Me My Way campaign, run by Timewise Jobs, aims to end the workplace exclusion that’s experienced by part-time and flexible workers. It’s a voice for everyone who can’t work a traditional full time job. We’re asking employers to listen to people’s needs and open up to flexibility – right from day one of a new hire.
Fair job opportunities for people who need flexibility
Wouldn’t it be wonderful if we could all find work that allows us to accomplish all the other things we need to do in our lives? If we could contribute our skills and talents at work, but with some control over when and where we do the job?
There are limits of course – employers have needs too, and agreeing flexible working is always a matter of give and take.
But at the moment, there are so few part-time and flexible jobs available that people who need them are unfairly disadvantaged in the job market.
Hire Me My Way aims to get Britain’s biggest employers to open up more of their jobs to flexibility at the point of hire.
End years of disadvantage
Although people can request flexible working in their current job, they often get stuck in that role and can’t move up within the organisation, or find a new job with the same flexibility. And if you ever lose or leave a part-time or flexible job, it’s incredibly difficult to find another one at the same level.
The shortage of jobs advertised with part-time or flexible hours is holding millions of us back in our careers. It stops us from switching jobs or applying for promotion, or even from working at all.
- 1,500,000 people in the UK are trapped in low paid part-time jobs they’re overqualified for.
- Over 400,000 people can’t work unless they can find a suitable flexible job
- 9 in 10 people want to work flexibly. They’re chasing only 1 in 10 quality jobs that offer flexible working.
Employers are listening
Many employers already recognise the business benefits of offering flexible working to existing staff. We’re beginning to persuade them that the next step is opening up to flexibility at the point of hire, to attract the best talent and improve diversity. We’re also talking to employers about looking at their existing flexible workers, and ensuring that they get fair opportunities for promotion.
On this site you’ll find a list of employers who have joined the Hire Me My Way campaign and are committed to taking action on ‘flexible hiring’. Read their statements about their recruitment approach on this topic, and inspiring case studies of people who work flexibly for them.
Sources for statistics:
- 1.5 million people are trapped in low-paid part-time work - How Flexible Hiring Could Improve Business Performance and Living Standards - Joseph Rowntree Foundation, 2016
- 400k people can’t work unless they can find flexible work – as above
- 9 in 10 people want to work flexibly – Flexible Working: a Talent Imperative – Timewise, 2017
- 1 in 10 jobs paid £20,000 or more (full time equivalent) are advertised with flexible working options – Timewise Flexible Jobs Index 2017