Legal Counsel, open to flexible working - 12 Month FTC Maternity Cove
EY is a global network of professional services firms engaged in advisory, transaction, assurance and tax services with member firms in over 170 countries worldwide. The UK firm of Ernst & Young LLP has over 700 partners and 17,000 employees.
The UK Legal team is well established and highly regarded. Led by our General Counsel, Lisa Cameron, we comprise 20 lawyers supported by 2 paralegals. The UK Legal team also forms part of a Global legal function.
We have a vacancy for a manager within our high performing and ambitious in-house legal team. In line with our NextWave Strategy to create long term value as the world’s most trusted, distinctive professional services organisation we are disrupting ourselves for the future, focussing on asset based services, emerging technologies and encouraging and enabling innovation. We enjoy a challenging workload, supporting that Strategy by the prompt delivery of pragmatic, adaptable and commercial legal advice to all levels within our business.
Your key responsibilities
The work within the UK Legal team is highly varied and covers all legal issues arising from the running of a professional services business. Much of the legal work is at the cutting edge of business practice as the firm constantly finds innovative ways to help our clients’ businesses.
This in-house role includes:
- Regulatory: Contentious and non-contentious, such as providing legal input on compliance and regulatory matters (including the UK’s FRC, FCA and ICAEW) and responding to regulatory inquiries;
- Litigation: advising and handling claims including amicable settlement of disputes, actively managing the handling of claims by external lawyers;
- Undertaking internal investigations;
- General: providing legal advice to the firm’s service lines and its other internal support functions such as real estate and facilities, procurement, finance, HR, IT, knowledge and marketing and the opportunity to be the legal lead on firm-wide projects.
Skills and attributes for success
- Strong team player with excellent negotiation and communication skills.
- Demonstrable commitment to the attributes of our highest performing teams – focus on results, accepting of accountability, committed, embraces healthy conflict, builds trust.
- Keeps calm and copes well with conflicting and ever-changing deadlines.
- Ability to lead, provide a view, take responsibility and ownership of issues, including an ability to take difficult decisions and provide substantiated arguments.
- Commercial awareness of the business issues facing us as we evolve, coupled with an active desire to get alongside our business, offering legal insight and support.
To qualify for the role you must have
- Approximately 5 or more years of post-qualification experience.
- Significant experience gained either in a reputable City law firm (or equivalent) and/or in-house
- Ability to provide practical legal advice and support with a high degree of professionalism in a fast-paced environment and to establish a high degree of credibility, respect and trust at all levels.
Ideally, you’ll also have
- Proven ability to establish a high degree of credibility, respect and trust at all levels, including with senior members of the firm, some of whom have a considerable understanding of the law.
What we look for
A self-starter, adept at responding promptly/juggling deadlines who actively looks to build relationships based on trust and confidence.
What working at EY offers
We offer a competitive remuneration package where you’ll be rewarded for your individual and team performance. Our comprehensive Total Rewards package includes support for flexible working and career development, and with FlexEY you can select benefits that suit your needs, covering holidays, health and well-being, insurance, savings and a wide range of discounts, offers and promotions. Plus, we offer:
- Support, coaching and feedback from some of the most engaging colleagues around
- Opportunities to develop new skills and progress your career
- The freedom and flexibility to handle your role in a way that’s right for you
EY is committed to being an inclusive employer and we are happy to consider flexible working arrangements. We strive to achieve the right balance for our people, enabling us to deliver excellent client service whilst allowing you to build your career without sacrificing your personal priorities. While our client-facing professionals can be required to travel regularly, and at times be based at client sites, our flexible working arrangements can help you to achieve a lifestyle balance.