Product Designer, Open to flexible working
Do more, feel better, live longer. GlaxoSmithKline's motto, what does that mean to you? We're an equal opportunity employer. We celebrate diversity and are committed to creating an inclusive environment for all employees.
Our open and transparent message to you
We're a new (ish) team of passionate thinkers and makers, 25 strong and 1-2 years old at the time of writing this, based out of a budding tech hub in Kings cross. We're embarking on a journey of discovery within the pharmaceutical and healthcare industry and we're here to challenge the status quo within the industry and within GSK itself. There are problems a-plenty and we need passionate, low ego, eager to learn people to make meaningful technology and experiences with us.
Who we're looking for...
You're proficient in Product Design and you're passionate about research and UX design. You thrive on making a meaningful impact to the business and its customers. You genuinely care and enjoy helping your users, whilst balancing their needs with the business needs. You're in the pursuit of producing tangible outcomes but also have an eye for detail and beauty to exceed expectations and delight our customers. You have excellent interpersonal skills and empathy for those you work with and build for, you are a low ego learner and teacher. You pride yourself on your ability to collaborate closely with a cross functional team, not just product design.
What you'll be doing...
- You'll report into the Director of Product Design.
- You'll work across multiple product initiatives, so be prepared to switch caps from B2C to B2B efforts, core and non core products, continuous ambiguity that one path could lead to a dead end and another to huge customer and business value.
- You'll collaborate with your squad(s) of multidisciplinary, passionate people.
- You'll solve real problems through a mix of design thinking, lean design sprints, workshops and dual track agile. Whatever your methodology, we want someone hands on and eager to solve problems pragmatically,according to the context at hand.
- You'll envision how people experience our products and bring that vision to life that feels inspired but most importantly, human.
- You'll take on complex tasks and turn them into intuitive and accessible experiences that transform the way our customers achieve their goals, all the way from a first time user to a sophisticated expert.
- You'll closely work with researchers, product managers and engineers to collaboratively discover, define and achieve the squad's OKRs.
- You'll conduct your own research processes and run customer and stakeholder interviews to develop findings that guide our next move in the near and long term with user testing of your own prototypes or fellow designers.
- You'll work with and under the guidance of our dedicated senior researcher on building out research strategies, processes, personas, empathy maps, jobs to be done, whatever it takes to help us intelligently inform the team about problems, solutions and our customers behaviours.
- You'll not just be a researcher but a proficient ux'er and will flesh out user flows, pull together wireframes, prototype with Invision or direct to code with the engineering team.
- You'll delight in experimentation and test your outputs by whatever means with your end user.
- Overall, you care deeply about your customers, both internal and external and you'll build meaningful and lasting relationships.
What you've accomplished recently...
- You've led or co-led design and research efforts within a multidisciplinary team and delivered experiences to achieve measurable outcomes.
- You've accepted that everything is an assumption and you're adept at creating testable hypotheses.
- You've established yourself as an evangelist for product design.
- You've crafted beautiful end-to-end experiences on a variety of platforms, including mobile and desktop.
- You've effectively communicated and presented your designs to teams with rationale and you thrive on feedback.
- You've partnered with researchers and product managers to ascertain the validity of your product and design direction.
- You've worn many hats in the product design discipline and are happy and excited to do so again.
Preferred/nice to haves experience...
- To be able to craft beautiful and reusable interfaces and experiences in Sketch, Figma, Invision or whichever tool you think is best for you and the task at hand.
- To have used and contributed to design systems
- To have facilitated design thinking & design ideation workshops
- To have worked in the health or pharmaceutical industry
As a company driven by our values of Patient focus, Transparency, Respect and Integrity, we know inclusion and diversity are essential for us to be able to succeed. We want all our colleagues to thrive at GSK bringing their unique experiences, ensuring they feel good and to keep growing their careers. As a candidate for a role, we want you to feel the same way.
As an Equal Opportunity Employer, we are open to all talent. In the US, we also adhere to Affirmative Action principles. This ensures that all qualified applicants will receive equal consideration for employment without regard to race/ethnicity, colour, national origin, religion, gender, pregnancy, marital status, sexual orientation, gender identity/expression, age, disability, genetic information, military service, covered/protected veteran status or any other federal, state or local protected class*(*US only).
We believe in an agile working culture for all our roles. If flexibility is important to you, we encourage you to explore with our hiring team what the opportunities are.
Please don't hesitate to contact us if you'd like to discuss any adjustments to our process which might help you demonstrate your strengths and capabilities.
As you apply, we will ask you to share some personal information which is entirely voluntary. We want to have an opportunity to consider a diverse pool of qualified candidates and this information will assist us in meeting that objective and in understanding how well we are doing against our inclusion and diversity ambitions. We would really appreciate it if you could take a few moments to complete it. Rest assured, Hiring Managers do not have access to this information and we will treat your information confidentially.
Important notice to Employment businesses/ Agencies
GSK does not accept referrals from employment businesses and/or employment agencies in respect of the vacancies posted on this site. All employment businesses/agencies are required to contact GSK's commercial and general procurement/human resources department to obtain prior written authorisation before referring any candidates to GSK. The obtaining of prior written authorisation is a condition precedent to any agreement (verbal or written) between the employment business/ agency and GSK. In the absence of such written authorisation being obtained any actions undertaken by the employment business/agency shall be deemed to have been performed without the consent or contractual agreement of GSK. GSK shall therefore not be liable for any fees arising from such actions or any fees arising from any referrals by employment businesses/agencies in respect of the vacancies posted on this site.
Please note that if you are a US Licensed Healthcare Professional or Healthcare Professional as defined by the laws of the state issuing your license, GSK may be required to capture and report expenses GSK incurs, on your behalf, in the event you are afforded an interview for employment. This capture of applicable transfers of value is necessary to ensure GSK's compliance to all federal and state US Transparency requirements.