Technical Excellence and Innovations Director, Clinical Programming, Open to flexible working
3 days left
- Contract Type
Are you a collaborative and visionary leader? Are you a strategic thinker? Can you drive a step change in technical excellence and strategy within GSK's Clinical Programming Biostatistics group?
We are excited to announce that GSK's Clinical Programming department is establishing a new Technical Excellence and Innovations Team. We are looking for an exceptional person to guide that group as a senior Director. The purpose of the Technical Excellence and Innovations Team is to support project facing delivery teams with the right tech related tools and processes to transform data into knowledge in support of high-quality decisions and regulatory agency submissions.
Overall, the aspiration is for transformation - FROM an 'old-school' department of traditional SAS programmers TO a modern, agile, 21st Century function enabled by contemporary technological approaches and capabilities. The Director will be expected to lead a vision to create an environment in which all data of all sorts can be surfaced and analysed by Clinical Programmers using the latest in programming methodologies and languages; built-in automations to eliminate heavily manual and repetitive tasks; data integrations off the critical path; impactful visualisations to accelerate and improve decision making and Clinical Programmers provide analysis-ready data for the application of predictive algorithms.
The group Director has a key role in this mission for transformation and is accountable for:
- Leadership and Strategy: Develop vision and orchestrate the transformation and modernisation of the Programming Function - Cutting edge methods, techniques and tools, in alignment with R&D strategies (Modern Employer, Top Quartile Performance, Future-Ready) and business stakeholders.
- Capability and Development: Lead strategy for skill transformation - Develop a fit-for-the-future workforce with capabilities aligned to the vision and to the Biostatistics Future-Workforce-Planning goals of expanding clinical data engineering/data science capabilities. Build capabilities and seed new talent to transform a department of >300 traditional SAS programmers into modern open-source coders, who work in an agile software development way. Use global talent programs, such as Esprit and FLP, to bring new contemporary skills into the organisation. Support transformational projects in partnership with R&D Tech - ensuring key business talent fill lead roles.
- Innovation: Develop multi-lingual programming capabilities, explore latest impactful data visualisation approaches and establish methods for ingestion/integration of novel high-volume digital data and data from other different sources, such as real-world evidence registries. Ensure continuous evolution to avoid a return to stagnation; Build and maintain an internal and external reputation for innovation, with influence in the external cross-industry dynamic environment.
- Business Process Leadership : Accountable for supporting Tech projects that impact the Biostatistics function. Lead implementation of new business processes, process simplification/improvements and ways of working. Support design of new strategy and requirements and push the opportunities for enhanced productivity and efficiency gains via increased automation. Ensure key business talents fill product leadership roles on transformational projects and provide sponsor-level support for tech investment projects, ensuring resources, solution mindsets, managed budgets and on-time deliverables.
- License to Operate (LTO) Management: Accountable for Building an effective support model for existing tech/processes, mitigating data integrity and aging tech risks that have potential to impact regulatory submissions. Ensure the right service levels are in place from partner groups and maintained in line with business priority and need. Escalate concerns quickly when they occur.
- Quality, Risk & Compliance: Business accountability for ensuring all functional products utilised for GxP work are robust and compliant with internal security, risk management policies and practices, external regulatory and statutory requirements, and that continuity plans are in place where required.
- Business Partnerships: Cultivate strong collaborations with partner functions. Enable bi-directional transparency (between Business and Tech) to ensure alignment of strategies, achieve business objectives/outcomes and maintenance of service levels in line with business need.
Furthermore, if the Pharma and Vaccines proposed integration is approved later this year, then accountabilities will stretch more broadly to cover a combined RxVx organisation. This Directorwill be required to play a leading role in the effort to harmonise technical systems and processes between the two organisations.
When formed, this new group will bring together existing dispersed pockets of technical support that currently resides across the global Biostatistics organisation, to form a single coherent group providing critical mass, focus and collective accountability for a modern-day high performing programming function.
This exceptional group Director must be an influential, strategic and innovative leader with a broad and deep understanding of the technology requirements and complexities of a Biostatistics organisation; including knowledge of systems, regulations, processes and interfaces; challenges faced by such a group; deficiencies and opportunities that exist; have expertise in driving change in a large global org, and have the ability to engage, influence and bring key stakeholders from across R&D, as well as Biostatistics staff, along 'on the journey'. They will need to be adept at assessing/addressing emerging business needs and strong at forging relationships at senior (VP) levels with key groups such as R&D and Core Tech, Biostats LT and DevLT.
Basic Qualifications & Experience Required:
- Bachelors degree or higher in Mathematics, Statistics, Data Science, Computer Science or related discipline
- Proven experience as an influential, strategic and innovative leader with a broad and deep understanding of the tech used and future-tech needs of a Biostatistics (or equivalent) organisation.
- Strong knowledge of systems and tech-processes, interfaces, challenges and opportunities associated with a Biostatistics function
- Demonstrable experience as a technical expert who has led global teams, products and processes
- Track record of building and leading successful teams in a global matrixed environment
- Experience leading significant business improvement efforts / change projects - with a proven ability to bring key stakeholders (VP level +) from across an R&D organisation (in addition to staff) along 'on the journey'
Preferred Qualifications & Experience:
- Degree or higher in Data analytics, systems technology, open-source coding, data science
- Demonstrated business acumen in understanding the implications of decisions from a broad business perspective and ability to use this knowledge to influence decision-making at senior levels.
- Strong sense for optimisation, simplification, urgency, pragmatism and judgement - a proven ability to make things happen.
- Comfortable operating with little direction
- Proven ability to navigate ambiguity and deliver innovative solutions to complex problems
Why GSK? :
At GSK, our mission is to improve the quality of human life by enabling people to do more, feel better and live longer. Our three world-leading businesses research and deliver innovative medicines, vaccines and consumer healthcare products. We need a talented and motivated workforce to deliver against our strategy. To achieve this, we strive to attract the best people and to create an environment that empowers and inspires.
As a company driven by our values of Patient focus, Transparency, Respect and Integrity, we know inclusion and diversity are essential for us to be able to succeed. We want all our colleagues to thrive at GSK bringing their unique experiences, ensuring they feel good and to keep growing their careers. As a candidate for a role, we want you to feel the same way.
As an Equal Opportunity Employer, we are open to all talent. In the US, we also adhere to Affirmative Action principles. This ensures that all qualified applicants will receive equal consideration for employment without regard to race/ethnicity, colour, national origin, religion, gender, pregnancy, marital status, sexual orientation, gender identity/expression, age, disability, genetic information, military service, covered/protected veteran status or any other federal, state or local protected class*(*US only).
We believe in an agile working culture for all our roles. If flexibility is important to you, we encourage you to explore with our hiring team what the opportunities are.
Please don't hesitate to contact us if you'd like to discuss any adjustments to our process which might help you demonstrate your strengths and capabilities.
As you apply, we will ask you to share some personal information which is entirely voluntary. We want to have an opportunity to consider a diverse pool of qualified candidates and this information will assist us in meeting that objective and in understanding how well we are doing against our inclusion and diversity ambitions. We would really appreciate it if you could take a few moments to complete it. Rest assured, Hiring Managers do not have access to this information and we will treat your information confidentially.
Important notice to Employment businesses/ Agencies
GSK does not accept referrals from employment businesses and/or employment agencies in respect of the vacancies posted on this site. All employment businesses/agencies are required to contact GSK's commercial and general procurement/human resources department to obtain prior written authorisation before referring any candidates to GSK. The obtaining of prior written authorisation is a condition precedent to any agreement (verbal or written) between the employment business/ agency and GSK. In the absence of such written authorisation being obtained any actions undertaken by the employment business/agency shall be deemed to have been performed without the consent or contractual agreement of GSK. GSK shall therefore not be liable for any fees arising from such actions or any fees arising from any referrals by employment businesses/agencies in respect of the vacancies posted on this site.
Please note that if you are a US Licensed Healthcare Professional or Healthcare Professional as defined by the laws of the state issuing your license, GSK may be required to capture and report expenses GSK incurs, on your behalf, in the event you are afforded an interview for employment. This capture of applicable transfers of value is necessary to ensure GSK's compliance to all federal and state US Transparency requirements.