Senior Packaging Scientist - Sustainability & Value Engineering, Open to flexible working
1 day left
- Contract Type
We are looking for an experienced Sr. Packaging Scientist with significant experience in developing and commercialising Sustainable Packaging Solutions and Value Engineering to join our Oral Care Packaging Team in Weybridge, Surrey, United Kingdom.
This is a new role within our Oral Care packaging team. In this role, you will be responsible for identifying, developing, testing and commercialising sustainable and Value Engineering packaging formats (tubes, bottles, closures and folding cartons) that are in alignment with our current Oral Care business needs and priorities on a local and global level. You will work within a matrixed organisation to ensure that your validated sustainable packaging solutions are in alignment with the commercial brand strategy, procurement strategy and global supply chain network strategy.
In addition to leading sustainable packaging projects, you will also be our Oral Care expert in Packaging Sustainability. As such, you must be highly familiar with global recyclability trends; local, national and regional packaging recyclability regulations; and, external sustainability testing and global packaging recyclability certification agencies. Upon conclusion of the sustainability program, this position would transition to supporting either value engineering and/or future packaging innovation projects.
This role will provide YOU the opportunity to lead key activities and initiatives to progress YOUR career within the Oral Care and Global Packaging Teams.
Key responsibilities/requirements for this position include:
- Own all aspects in the development and commercialisation of sustainable packaging formats (tubes, closures, bottles and folding cartons).
- Represent R&D packaging within key project teams and global R&D packaging initiatives. Be laser focused on delivering your projects.
- Manage and be accountable for project time lines, deliverables, budget and cross functional team needs.
- Utilise internal End to End (E2E) process and packaging systems to ensure delivery of projects on time.
- Partner with all internal project partners and key stakeholder to ensure that your projects are in alignment with commercial, procurement and global supply chain strategies.
- Work within the wider GSK sustainability organisations to ensure projects meet or exceed all company sustainability/recyclability needs and requirements.
- Work with the supplier network to identify, develop, test and source packaging solutions that are not only sustainable, but are recyclable.
- Be a global expert in packaging sustainability trends, recycling technologies (current and under development) and local/national/regional recyclability regulations.
- Identify and follow external packaging sustainability trends as related to the oral care category.
- Partner with external agencies to ensure GSK Consumer Healthcare is aware of all new and pending changes to local, national, and regional changes in recyclability requirements.
- Work closely with external industry partners (suppliers, labs and others) to ensure that all sustainable package solutions meet local, national and regional recyclability requirements
- Lead competitive sustainability reviews. Understand competitive and supplier patent landscape.
- Attend industry sustainability conferences, trade shows and supplier events. If needed, present at leading conference to promote GSK's sustainability efforts.
- Must be a self-starter with the ability to influence internal and external project team members.
- Hold self accountable to deliver projects and leadership expectations under tight timings.
- Have a "Right the First Time" approach to projects.
- Be a hands-on leader with the ability to influence future brand packaging strategies. Be willing to be a change leader.
- Support the Global R&D Packaging Team.
- Assist in the development and implementation of the global R&D Packaging Sustainability Strategy.
- Participate in future strategy teams, while ensuring Oral Health needs and requirements are met.
- Bachelor's degree in Engineering (Packaging, Chemical or Mechanical), or material science with Technical Packaging Development experience in a R&D environment.
- Have a proven track record of driving packaging sustainability and recyclability projects from concept through to commercialisation; with a key focus on delivering projects on time, on budget, while ensuring compliance with all local, national and global rules and regulations.
- Have an awareness of global packaging sustainability and recyclability requirements.
- Experienced working within a FMCG company in a matrixed organization.
- Experienced working under accelerated project time lines and with a high degree of project ownership.
- Proven ability to work with internal cross functional teams, external suppliers, external labs and recycling coalitions.
- Experienced at liaising early with Manufacturing, Logistics, R&D, Quality, Regulatory and Procurement to shorten project development time; while ensuring all technical packaging requirements are met.
- Experienced at delivering packaging projects utilising an E2E R&D Packaging Development Process for various product formats (syrups, solids, powders, semi-solids, suspensions, solutions etc.) and packaging technologies.
- Have a functional understanding of packaging test methods and validation techniques/ procedures.
- Proven ability to manage and deliver multiple projects with low level of guidance required.
- Be a Strong communicator (both written and verbal communications).
- Experience with running packaging Life Cycle Analyses.
- Working knowledge of the various packaging specification software systems.
- Be an internal influencer.
Preferred Qualifications (in addition to the above):
- Master's degree in engineering (packaging, chemical, mechanical) or material science with relevant R&D Packaging experience.
- Significant sustainability experience in various tube structures, rigid plastics and films. Proven track record of commercialising 'game changing' sustainable packaging initiatives.
- Significant experience in utilising life cycle assessment tools and software to prove sustainable packaging solutions meet project requirements.
Our values and expectations are at the heart of everything we do and form an important part of our culture. These include Patient focus, Transparency, Respect, Integrity along with Courage, Accountability, Development, and Teamwork. As GSK focuses on our values and expectations and a culture of innovation, performance, and trust, the successful candidate will demonstrate the following capabilities:
- Operating at pace and agile decision-making - using evidence/data and applying judgement to balance pace, rigor and risk.
- Committed to delivering high quality results, overcoming challenges, focusing on what matters, execution.
- Continuously looking for opportunities to learn, build skills and share learning.
- Building strong relationships and collaboration; honest and open conversations.
- Budget and cost-consciousness.
As a company driven by our values of Patient focus, Transparency, Respect and Integrity, we know inclusion and diversity are essential for us to be able to succeed. We want all our colleagues to thrive at GSK bringing their unique experiences, ensuring they feel good and to keep growing their careers. As a candidate for a role, we want you to feel the same way.
As an Equal Opportunity Employer, we are open to all talent. In the US, we also adhere to Affirmative Action principles. This ensures that all qualified applicants will receive equal consideration for employment without regard to race/ethnicity, colour, national origin, religion, gender, pregnancy, marital status, sexual orientation, gender identity/expression, age, disability, genetic information, military service, covered/protected veteran status or any other federal, state or local protected class*(*US only).
We believe in an agile working culture for all our roles. If flexibility is important to you, we encourage you to explore with our hiring team what the opportunities are.
Please don't hesitate to contact us if you'd like to discuss any adjustments to our process which might help you demonstrate your strengths and capabilities.
As you apply, we will ask you to share some personal information which is entirely voluntary. We want to have an opportunity to consider a diverse pool of qualified candidates and this information will assist us in meeting that objective and in understanding how well we are doing against our inclusion and diversity ambitions. We would really appreciate it if you could take a few moments to complete it. Rest assured, Hiring Managers do not have access to this information and we will treat your information confidentially.
Important notice to Employment businesses/ Agencies
GSK does not accept referrals from employment businesses and/or employment agencies in respect of the vacancies posted on this site. All employment businesses/agencies are required to contact GSK's commercial and general procurement/human resources department to obtain prior written authorisation before referring any candidates to GSK. The obtaining of prior written authorisation is a condition precedent to any agreement (verbal or written) between the employment business/ agency and GSK. In the absence of such written authorisation being obtained any actions undertaken by the employment business/agency shall be deemed to have been performed without the consent or contractual agreement of GSK. GSK shall therefore not be liable for any fees arising from such actions or any fees arising from any referrals by employment businesses/agencies in respect of the vacancies posted on this site.
Please note that if you are a US Licensed Healthcare Professional or Healthcare Professional as defined by the laws of the state issuing your license, GSK may be required to capture and report expenses GSK incurs, on your behalf, in the event you are afforded an interview for employment. This capture of applicable transfers of value is necessary to ensure GSK's compliance to all federal and state US Transparency requirements.