Senior Packaging Engineer - Global Oral Health, Open to flexible working
1 day left
- Contract Type
Are you a Senior Packaging Scientist with the drive to work on innovative projects?
In this role, you will be responsible leading all aspects of the packaging development process ranging from concept generation to commercialisation of new and/or modified packaging components; including primary, secondary and tertiary packaging components. You will have the opportunity to lead packaging develop and innovation projects for well-known brands like: Aquafresh, Sensodyne, Pronamel and parodontax. Within your project teams, you will be seen as a packaging expert.
While this role is part of our Oral Healthcare team, you will also be part of our Global R&D Packaging Team. Within this larger global team, you will have ample opportunity to not only connect with the Global Packaging Leadership team but to also connect and work with your global peers on an as needed basis.
This role will provide YOU the opportunity to lead key activities and initiatives to progress YOUR career within the Oral Care and Global Packaging Teams.
Key responsibilities/requirements for this position include:
- Own all aspects of the development and commercialisation of new packaging innovation projects.
- Be involved early. Assist in the development of new packaging initiatives at the concept stage. Work within the wider GSK CH network to drive for consumer insights.
- Utilise consumer insights and unmet needs as a basis for all projects. Ensure the consumer is at the heart of all we do.
- Identify, develop, test and commercialise new and modified packaging components that support both the business needs and the consumer propositions. Including primary, secondary and tertiary packaging components.
- Represent R&D packaging within key project teams. Manage and be accountable for project time lines, deliverables, budget and cross functional team needs. Ensure that your projects are in alignment with commercial, procurement and global supply chain strategies.
- Work with the supplier network to identify, develop, test and source packaging solutions that not only meet packaging innovation requirements, but also sustainability and recyclability requirements as well.
- Manage all aspects of the R&D packaging development process utilising GSK CH's End to End (E2E) process.
- Write specifications, reports, protocols and test methods that meet GSK CH standards of the global packaging documentation system.
- Be a technical packaging expert. Ensure technical knowledge, expertise on material science and packaging/assembly/conversion technologies are successfully transferred within GSK's global packaging teams.
- Be a global expert in packaging innovation trends and consumer understanding: .
- Identify and follow external packaging trends as related to the Oral Healthcare category and packaging formats.
- Lead competitive packaging trend reviews. Understand competitive and supplier patent landscape.
- Attend industry conferences, trade shows and supplier events. If needed, present at leading conference to promote GSK's packaging innovation efforts.
- Must be a self-starter with the ability to influence internal and external project team members.
- Hold self accountable to deliver projects and leadership expectations under tight timings. Have a "Right the First Time" approach to projects.
- Be your true self. Utilise past experiences to help drive projects, packaging and other initiatives forward. Be willing to be a change leader.
- Be a hands-on project leader with the ability to influence future brand packaging strategies.
- Be comfortable working with minimal supervision.
- Support the Global R&D Packaging Team.
- Work within the Global R&D Packaging team to continue to build the role of packaging within the company. Support the development of and implementation of new global packaging ways of working and best practices. Have access to global R&D packaging leaders.
- Bachelor's degree in Engineering (Packaging, Chemical or Mechanical), or material science with Technical Packaging Development experience in a R&D environment.
- Have a track record of converting consumer ideas and unmet needs into production ready packaging components (primary, secondary and tertiary).
- Have an awareness of new packaging trends, manufacturing methods, packaging conversion techniques and assembly methods, supplier capabilities and competitor packaging technologies and product launches.
- Strong technical packaging skills; with a key focus on delivering projects on time, on budget, while ensuring compliance with all local, national and global rules and regulations.
- Experience working within a FMCG company in a matrixed organization.
- Proven ability to work with cross functional team members, external suppliers and manufacturing locations under accelerated time lines.
- Have a high degree of project ownership. Proven ability to manage and deliver multiple projects with low level of guidance required.
- Experienced at liaising early with Manufacturing, Logistics, R&D, QA, RA and Procurement to shorten project development time, while ensuring a smooth and robust product launch.
- Experience delivering packaging projects utilising an E2E R&D Packaging Development Process for various product formats (syrups, solids, powders, semi-solids, suspensions, solutions etc.) and packaging technologies.
- Awareness of external e-Commerce, digital and sustainability trends and capabilities.
- Some knowledge of pharmaceutical regulations (EMEA, FDA) affecting development of packaging.
- Experienced with packaging validation techniques and procedures.
- Strong communicator in both written and verbal communications.
- Active user of IT initiatives (e.g. Global Packaging Specification Database, Packaging catalogue, LCA analysis, etcetera)
Preferred Qualifications (in addition to the above):
- Master's degree in engineering (packaging, chemical, mechanical) or material science with relevant R&D Packaging experience.
- Continually develop knowledge in new areas of packaging to improve efficiency in assigned projects
Our values and expectations are at the heart of everything we do and form an important part of our culture. These include Patient focus, Transparency, Respect, Integrity along with Courage, Accountability, Development, and Teamwork. As GSK focuses on our values and expectations and a culture of innovation, performance, and trust, the successful candidate will demonstrate the following capabilities:
- Operating at pace and agile decision-making - using evidence and applying judgement to balance pace, rigor and risk.
- Committed to delivering high quality results, overcoming challenges, focusing on what matters, execution.
- Continuously looking for opportunities to learn, build skills and share learning.
- Sustaining energy and well-being Building strong relationships and collaboration, honest and open conversations.
- Budgeting and cost-consciousness.
As a company driven by our values of Patient focus, Transparency, Respect and Integrity, we know inclusion and diversity are essential for us to be able to succeed. We want all our colleagues to thrive at GSK bringing their unique experiences, ensuring they feel good and to keep growing their careers. As a candidate for a role, we want you to feel the same way.
As an Equal Opportunity Employer, we are open to all talent. In the US, we also adhere to Affirmative Action principles. This ensures that all qualified applicants will receive equal consideration for employment without regard to race/ethnicity, colour, national origin, religion, gender, pregnancy, marital status, sexual orientation, gender identity/expression, age, disability, genetic information, military service, covered/protected veteran status or any other federal, state or local protected class*(*US only).
We believe in an agile working culture for all our roles. If flexibility is important to you, we encourage you to explore with our hiring team what the opportunities are.
Please don't hesitate to contact us if you'd like to discuss any adjustments to our process which might help you demonstrate your strengths and capabilities.
As you apply, we will ask you to share some personal information which is entirely voluntary. We want to have an opportunity to consider a diverse pool of qualified candidates and this information will assist us in meeting that objective and in understanding how well we are doing against our inclusion and diversity ambitions. We would really appreciate it if you could take a few moments to complete it. Rest assured, Hiring Managers do not have access to this information and we will treat your information confidentially.
Important notice to Employment businesses/ Agencies
GSK does not accept referrals from employment businesses and/or employment agencies in respect of the vacancies posted on this site. All employment businesses/agencies are required to contact GSK's commercial and general procurement/human resources department to obtain prior written authorisation before referring any candidates to GSK. The obtaining of prior written authorisation is a condition precedent to any agreement (verbal or written) between the employment business/ agency and GSK. In the absence of such written authorisation being obtained any actions undertaken by the employment business/agency shall be deemed to have been performed without the consent or contractual agreement of GSK. GSK shall therefore not be liable for any fees arising from such actions or any fees arising from any referrals by employment businesses/agencies in respect of the vacancies posted on this site.
Please note that if you are a US Licensed Healthcare Professional or Healthcare Professional as defined by the laws of the state issuing your license, GSK may be required to capture and report expenses GSK incurs, on your behalf, in the event you are afforded an interview for employment. This capture of applicable transfers of value is necessary to ensure GSK's compliance to all federal and state US Transparency requirements.