Head of Business Development, Open to flexible working
Head of Business Development
Head of Business Development
Permanent, Full Time
??68,760 - ??73,935 + excellent benefits including outstanding pension scheme
11th October 2020
Are you a professional business development manager with experience spanning both the commercial and public sectors?
Have you worked in a highly technical or scientific environment with experience of evolving, implementing and leading a business development plan?
If so, we have an exciting opportunity for a collaborative and enthusiastic Head of Business Development to support the UK Atomic Energy Authority (UKAEA) and UK companies to benefit from opportunities in the fusion and adjacent sectors. You will be tasked with developing a cluster of organisations engaged in fusion technology for mutual benefit and to advance the field of fusion. Managing a small team, you will be responsible for helping UK industry to win substantial business in fusion and generating revenue for UKAEA business units, all part of maximising the economic impact of the fusion programme.
Working with organisations across the commercial sector, you will provide expert advice and leadership in the professional management of business development, the collection and management of information and reporting and will develop best practice throughout UKAEA.
Working in collaboration with internal and external partners, you will:
- Support, analyse and develop business development activities throughout UKAEA
- Lead on commercial opportunities and engagement arising from major international research organisations, including ITER
- Work with the organisation to prepare and write technical and non-technical bids and proposals
- Collate, maintain and communicate reporting information on UKAEAs BD activity to demonstrate deliverables
- Encourage cross-collaborative team working within business development and UKAEA divisions and departments
- Support UK businesses winning contracts from international fusion projects
- Oversee the day-to-day management of Business Development Management team
To be successful, you will have a collegiate approach to business development and will have worked in a highly technical/heavily scientific research environment. If you have the self-assurance and passion to aid commercial organisations and international partners to use UKAEAs skills and facilities to advance fusion, generate economic impact and generate revenue - we want to hear from you.
We offer an outstanding benefits package, including a world-class pension, generous holiday allowance, flexible working, exciting challenges and a unique working environment.
At UKAEA, we strive to make everyone feel welcome and fully supported. We welcome applications from under-represented groups, particularly from individuals from black and other ethnic minority backgrounds, including nationality and citizenship, people with disabilities, (visible and hidden) and women. Our Inclusion Ambassadors are actively promoting and advancing diversity and inclusion in the organisation to help make our organisation an employer of choice. UKAEA has a graded career structure and our mentoring scheme will enable you to reach your true potential.
The UKAEA hosts and manages the JET nuclear fusion energy experiment on behalf of the EU and is also home to the UKs MAST-U fusion energy experiment. UKAEA also works with industry and other third parties to develop new technologies currently in Remote Handling and Materials research. Following recent UK funding, two new centres of excellence in tritium fuel handling and component testing and validation are being built. The culture at UKAEA promotes research, innovation and leading-edge technological excellence, whilst investing in people.
Knowledge, skills and experience
- Relevant experience of delivering business development in a highly technical/heavily scientific environment
- Possess experience of working with both the commercial and public sectors
- Experience of managing professional sales, business development or similar teams
- Degree qualified in a relevant scientific, technical or engineering discipline
- Proven ability to build and develop productive professional relationships with customers and partner organisations
- Excellent written, verbal and communication skills - including presenting skills
- Well organised and capable of managing to deadlines and priorities
- Experience of using or operating a customer relationship management system
- Proven experience of business planning
Selection Methods and Notes:
- As part of the selection process, you may be expected to complete work-based simulation exercises and a personality profile either online or onsite.
- Please be advised that this vacancy may close earlier than stated if large or sufficient numbers of applications are received.
- Please note, UKAEA do not pay travel expenses for interviews.
- We actively promote equality and value diversity in our workforce. We operate a number of flexible working arrangements (such as part-time working/job share/home working). Flexible working may be available with this role.
- Please note, all employees working at the UK Atomic Energy Authority will be required to complete an online Disclosure Certificate application as part of their clearance - The Disclosure & Barring Service (DBS) checks will show the details of all current criminal convictions (convictions considered unspent under the Rehabilitation of Offenders Act 1974) or will confirm that there are no such convictions...... click apply for full job details