Actuarial Senior Manager - open to flexible working
Job Description Summary:
To take full ownership of many complex allocated assignments, with minimal director/ partner involvement, in a way that meets and exceeds the client’s expectations whilst taking responsibility for managing and developing staff and growing the business.
Let’s talk about the job
If you enjoy working on a wide-reaching range of projects that will help businesses and communities flourish, you’ll fit right in. Here are some things you can expect from the Actuarial Team.
- Making quality second nature. This means doing what’s right even when no one’s looking. The work that you will do has a major impact on our clients and our firm. We pride ourselves on the high-level standards we have for the work that we do.
- Own your own work. – Lead from the front in-regards to delivering client work, engaging the Actuarial & Risk team and greater Financial Services teams to ensure correct skill utilisation on all projects.
- Be a part of a team – Take responsibility for developing more junior team members, understanding their carer aspiration and support in this delivery.
- Build your brand – Good communication capability to the internal population and the external stake holders to ensure we are always promoting our core values.
The minimum criteria
- Qualified Actuary or equivalent experience
- Experience managing internal or external stake holders and working with-in set project timeframes
- Ability to work to tight deadlines and exceed client expectations
- Monitoring junior team members work and coaching/career development
- A wealth of experience in a consulting role within Life Assurance
Skills to set you apart
• Keeps abreast of relevant industry and professional developments and contributes to thought leadership.
• Builds a personal network from which to generate leads.
• Develops new business from own contacts and collaborative working with FSG colleagues or others in the wider firm.
• Contributes effectively to developing, launching and exploiting new initiatives and service lines to diversify the business.
• Takes an active part in networking events and introduces contacts to colleagues.
• Leads or speaks at industry, professional and client recognised external events.
• Acts as an ambassador for the firm in seeking out opportunities to raise the profile of FSG and Grant Thornton in the market place.
• Demonstrates an understanding of the full range of the firm's products, services and capabilities and takes an active role in cross selling.
• Participates in business development activities and contributes effectively to sales pitches and drafting proposals.
• Ensures client take-on is completed in accordance with Grant Thornton risk management procedures.
• Takes day to day management responsibility for delivery of a portfolio of client assignments.
• Takes responsibility for managing selected client accounts.
• Effectively manages client expectations regarding fees, delivery and deadlines.
• Acts as a role model for colleagues and demonstrates leadership.
• Is an approachable and respected member of the team who takes a proactive interest in the team's performance and wellbeing.
• Takes responsibility and ownership for wider team issues.
• Leads, manages, motivates and coaches team members, contributing to positive morale.
• Ensures staff are working collaboratively across all areas within the FSG to maximise our contribution to the firm and to clients.
• Provides constructive upward feedback to more senior colleagues.
• Develops others, providing appropriate learning and development opportunities and interventions.
• Completes a timely appraisal and personal development plan for self and others, as appropriate.
• Works in line with the firm's CLEARR values, of collaboration, leadership, excellence, agility, respect and responsibility.
• Proactively manages own career, seeking out regular feedback and opportunities to work on a variety of assignment to build on existing experience.
• Attends training to develop technical and personal skills; takes proactive steps to develop self awareness and performance.
• Assists with recruitment as necessary.
• Meets CPE requirements and completes return on time.
• Meets all relevant requirements of Actuarial Profession.
Operations and results
• Prepares fee estimates and budgets for client assignments and manages client expectations about changes and overruns.
• Ensures assignments are delivered profitably and (unless otherwise agreed prior to commencement of the assignment) with full recovery (above 75%) of billable, chargeable time, with WIP write-outs kept to a minimum.
• Contributes to ensuring maximum utilisation of staff and identifies and implements opportunities to work more efficiently.
• Ensures bills are raised accurately and promptly, fees are collected in a timely manner and debtors are kept to a minimum.
• Ensures compliance with, and adherence to, the firm's risk management policies and procedures.
• Keeps partners informed of progress, draws issues to their attention and implements agreed actions.
• Participates in the presentation of conclusions and recommendations to the client and discusses the implications and action points.
• Designs and undertakes high quality analytical work requiring minimal input from directors and partners.
• Writes high quality, professionally presented reports, requiring minimal input from directors and partners.
• Deputises effectively for partners and directors when they are unavailable.
• Ensures all files are closed down on completed projects in accordance with Grant Thornton policy.
• Projects a confident and professional image.
Share ideas and profits
Unlike most firms, we’re also a shared enterprise. So when the firm does well, everyone does well by taking home a share of the profits. Of course, to get those profits, we need to share ideas and share responsibility for our work, too.
Bring your whole self
Now you’ve seen our values, it shouldn’t be a surprise that we’re creating a respectful, open, diverse place to work. Building an inclusive culture, where we value difference and respect our colleagues, is not just the right thing to do, it helps our people to perform at the best of their ability and realise their potential.
“We are committed to making sure that the opportunities within our firm are equally accessible for everyone – regardless of background or gender.” Dave Dunckley, CEO
There’s more to life than work
Families, children, sports, night classes…the things you do and the people you’re with outside work matter. They can inspire, motivate and energise you. Inside the office and out. So if you’d like to work flexibly, let us know. We’re happy to look at flexible working options for all our roles, and we’ll always do our best to keep your work and life in balance.