Assistant Manager, Financial Markets, Audit & Assurance, Open to returners & flexible working
Deloitte's UK Markets Audit & Advisory team provides a full range of high value external audit services specialising in the valuation and accounting of complex financial instruments. The team specialises in the financial services sector and assist in the audit of many of the world's leading financial institutions. In addition, the team leads and is involved in a number of assurance projects.
Our team is part of the Banking and Capital Markets Group and comprises a dedicated team of professionals with deep technical accounting, financial reporting, valuation and audit skills. Our team’s focus is on understanding the valuation and accounting for complex financial instruments, in particular specialist technical knowledge on financial instruments held at fair value and best market practice on associated controls.
Given some recent high profile audit wins and assurance opportunities, we are looking to expand our team by hiring high performing and ambitious individuals. As a member of the team, you will have the opportunity to develop knowledge in complex financial instruments and contribute to building a business serving the needs of the world’s leading financial institutions.
We encourage consideration of flexible ways of working, both formal and informal arrangements that allow for the best outcomes for our people and our clients. If this opportunity is of interest to you with some flexibility, please do discuss with us.
Are you looking to return to the workplace after an extended career break?
For this role we can offer coaching and support designed for returners to refresh your knowledge and skills, and help your transition back into the workplace after a career break of 2 years or more. If this is relevant for you, just let your recruiter know when you make your application.
As a member of our team, reporting to a Manager or Senior Manager, you will have responsibility for:
- Field managing audit engagements, including management of day to day client relationships;
- Providing specialist support to external audit teams, including both the accounting and valuations of complex financial instruments, hedge accounting and financial instrument classifications;
- Planning and delivering a range of audit and non-audit services to clients who are active in complex financial instruments;
- Helping to challenge the way we do things and develop new ways of working through innovation and transformation;
- Managing and developing new relationships across Banking and Capital Markets and other parts of the business, including through our North South Europe network;
- Participating in business development, including audit tenders;
- Helping to develop Deloitte's audit thought leadership to deliver insight to clients;
- Participating in practice management activities, including facilitation of internal training courses; and
- Working effectively in diverse teams within an inclusive culture where people are recognised for their contribution.
Your work, your choice
At Deloitte we believe the best impact is the value we add, not the hours we sit at our desk. We carefully consider agile ways of working, both formal and informal, that allow for the best impact for our people and our clients. Please speak to your recruiter about the working pattern that works best for you.
London based with occasional domestic and international travel
This is a permanent opportunity. The role can be worked on a full-time or part-time basis.
Our team members work a variety of agile working patterns. Tell us what arrangement works for you and we’ll try to accommodate.
Your professional experience
- Candidates should be auditors and hold a relevant accounting qualification, such as the ACA or ACCA;
- Additional (or alternative) qualifications such as CFA or FRM are helpful but not necessary
- Possess experience performing external audits and assurance engagements for trading businesses with specific understanding on the valuation of commonly transacted instruments and associated control cycles;
- Thorough knowledge of IFRS;
- Desire to develop knowledge on market practices over the accounting and valuation of financial instruments;
- Experience of testing controls and ability to identify control gaps that exist within a process;
- Experience managing small to medium sized audit engagements and field managing audit teams;
- Knowledge of auditing techniques including risk assessment, scoping, devising and audit approach, controls testing and substantive testing;
- Report writing, presentation and interpersonal skills, including excellent written and verbal communications skills; and
- Management and organisational skills
Your service line: Audit & Assurance
In an industry best known for looking back, Deloitte looks beyond.
Our Audit & Assurance team understand the most important decisions are the ones we are yet to make. Crafting the future in an informed and clear-sighted way means understanding current conditions, as well as the trends that are shaping tomorrow. That is why we use our expertise in audit to show where things stand now, and to help inform the next step. With the assurance we provide, we help our clients to look ahead with strength and confidence across all of their accounting, regulatory and transaction needs.
Innovation is the key, underpinned by audit quality. You will be joining a diverse team of experts capable of delivering meaningful and durable change for both our clients and our profession.
Regulation and controls are standard practice in our industry and Deloitte is no exception. These controls provide important legal protection for both you and the firm. We are subject to a number of audit regulations, one of which requires that certain colleagues abide by specific personal independence constraints. This can mean that you and your "Immediate Family Members" are not permitted to hold certain financial interests (shares, funds, bonds etc.) with audit clients of the firm. The recruitment team will provide further detail as you progress through the recruitment process.
Our Purpose & Strategy
To make an impact that matters for our clients, our people and society - defines who we are and what we stand for. Our purpose provides the foundation for our strategy and our aspiration to be the undisputed leader in professional services: this is not about size, it's about being the first choice. The first choice for the largest and most influential clients, and the first choice for the best talent.
What do we do?
Deloitte offers global integrated professional services that include Audit & Assurance, Consulting, Financial Advisory, Legal, Risk Advisory and Tax Consulting. Our approach combines intellectual leadership, industrial expertise, insight, consulting & problem solving capabilities whatever the role, technology revolutions and innovation from multiple disciplines to help our clients excel anywhere in the world.
Beyond the UK: Deloitte North and South Europe
The UK is part of Deloitte North and South Europe (NSE), the second largest member firm in the Deloitte network. Deloitte NSE combines operations in Belgium, Central Mediterranean (Italy, Greece, Malta), Ireland, the Middle East (Bahrain, Cyprus, Egypt, Iraq, Jordan, Kuwait, Lebanon, Libya, Oman, Palestinian Ruled Territories, Qatar, Saudi Arabia, United Arab Emirates, Yemen), the Netherlands, the Nordics (Denmark, Finland, Iceland, Norway and Sweden), Switzerland and the UK. Deloitte NSE brings together 2,700 partners and over 50,000 people, combining our unmatched breadth and depth of capabilities in audit and assurance, consulting, financial advisory, risk advisory, and tax and legal across the region. Being part of Deloitte NSE supports our aspiration to be the undisputed leader in professional services and will create more opportunity and growth for our people.
What do we value?
What brings us all together at Deloitte? It’s how we approach the thousands of decisions we make every day. How we behave, our beliefs and our attitudes. In other words: our values. Whatever we do, wherever we are in the world, we lead the way, serve with integrity, take care of each other, foster inclusion, and collaborate for maximum impact. These five shared values lead every decision we make and action we take, guiding us to deliver impact how and where it matters most.
Being a Leader at Deloitte
Cultural fit and purpose-led leadership is crucial for Deloitte. Our leaders always set the example and inspire their colleagues. They make quality time for people and take an interest in them. They know what matters to people - both inside and outside work – and value them as individuals; always finding opportunities to develop them while showing respect and appreciation.
We expect colleagues at all levels to embrace and live our purpose and our leadership culture by challenging themselves to identify issues that are most important for our clients, our people, and for society and make an impact that matters. We know leadership comes in all shapes and sizes, but our Leadership Charter helps all of our people understand what we’re looking for:
- We live our purpose: we act as a role model, embracing and living our purpose and values, and recognising others for the impact they make
- We develop talent: we develop high-performing people and teams through challenging and meaningful opportunities
- We drive performance: we deliver exceptional client service; maximise results and drive high performance from people while fostering collaboration across businesses and borders
- We believe positive influence can make an impact that matters: we influence clients, teams, and individuals positively, leading by example and establishing confident relationships with increasingly senior people
- We move, together, towards a strategic direction: we understand key objectives for clients and Deloitte, aligning people to objectives and setting priorities and direction.
Deloitte LLP is a limited liability partnership registered in England and Wales with registered number OC303675 and its registered office at 1 New Street Square, London EC4A 3HQ, United Kingdom.
Deloitte LLP is the United Kingdom affiliate of Deloitte NSE LLP, a member firm of Deloitte Touche Tohmatsu Limited, a UK private company limited by guarantee ("DTTL"). DTTL and each of its member firms are legally separate and independent entities. DTTL and Deloitte NSE LLP do not provide services to clients. Please see www.deloitte.com/about to learn more about our global network of member firms.
© 2020 Deloitte LLP. All rights reserved.
Requisition code: 178125