Assistant Director, Government & Infrastructure, Financial Advisory, Open to flexible working
Our Government and Infrastructure team provides specialist finance raising and commercial contract negotiation advice to private and public sector clients. We operate across the infrastructure, energy and public services sectors.
Our service areas include:
- Major infrastructure and capital programmes
- Government led reorganisations and restructurings
- Public procurement
- Project and PFI/PPP financing / restructuring
- Energy and wider infrastructure related M&A services and equity capital raising
- Privatisations and outsourcings; and
- Complex transaction advisory.
We advise on the procurement, negotiation and (when sought by government) re-negotiation of major contracts between the public and private sector, particularly where these involve detailed incentive payment arrangements. Our team has significant experience of advising Government and its corporate entities on structural options, ownership reviews and divestments.
In addition we provide specialist M&A services in relation to energy and wider infrastructure sectors such as transport and water alongside a range of wider transaction and operational advice. Please see our website for more information on Deloitte Government & Infrastructure.
We encourage consideration of flexible ways of working, both formal and informal arrangements that allow for the best outcomes for our people and our clients. If this opportunity is of interest to you with some flexibility, please do discuss with us.
Are you looking to return to the workplace after an extended career break?
For this role we can offer coaching and support designed for returners to refresh your knowledge and skills, and help your transition back into the workplace after a career break of 2 years or more. If this is relevant for you, just let your recruiter know when you make your application.
The Deloitte Government & Infrastructure team has an exciting opportunity within the team for an Assistant Director level candidate. The Manchester team is growing and we expect this growth to continue driven in part by the Government’s ‘Levelling up’ agenda. The role will combine typical project, commercial and corporate finance skills. The individual will work within a vibrant team advising government and private sector clients through all stages of the contracting life cycle of high profile and complex public sector programmes across a range of sectors. The role will involve management and leadership of advisory engagement and responsibility for driving business development activity.
The role is focussed on our Public Services offering but will offer an opportunity to support the continued growth of our infrastructure transaction offering in relation to the energy sector and the growth of our Transport advisory offering.
Your responsibilities will include:
- Advising on commercial and/or financial activity on large public sector programme and/or procurements;
- Developing strong relationships with public sector clients;
- Assist in the production of and review of business cases;
- Advising on a range of buy-side and sell-side transactions.
- Advising on investment appraisals and financing of energy and infrastructure projects;
- Assisting with the day-to-day management of projects/transactions which includes preparation of management presentations, and taking responsibility for the preparation of information and client communications;
- Managing compliance related aspects of projects/transactions;
- Contribution to marketing and business development opportunities;
- Preparing financial analysis, including complex analysis and financial models; and
- Working effectively in diverse teams within an inclusive team culture where people are recognised for their contribution.
The individual will also be expected to lead or support on a range of non-client facing activities including:
- Working closely with the Directors and Partners to deliver marketing and business development activity; and
- Preparation of research documents and proposals.
Your work, your choice
How long does impact take? How long is a piece of string? How many seconds does a solution contain? How can we possibly tell? After all, impact can be huge or small. Immediate or years in the making. At Deloitte we believe the best impact is the value we add, not the hours we sit at our desk.
We, therefore, carefully consider agile ways of working, both formal and informal, that allow for the best impact for our people and our clients. If the working pattern you are looking for is not specifically indicated below, we are happy to discuss alternative arrangements.
Location: The primary location will be London. The individual may be required to spend time working in other locations in the UK for extended durations as required by clients and projects.
Suggested work pattern: Permanent full-time. We are open to discussing the different ways in which we are able to support agile working arrangements. We recognise that our people are juggling demanding careers with commitments and interests outside of work.
Your professional experience
The candidate must be able to demonstrate at least one of the following:
- Experience of managing commercial and/or financial activity on a large public procurement; or
- A strong working knowledge of the structure and application of public service outsourcing or similar contracts.
To qualify for the role you must also have:
- CA, ACA, CIPS, MBA (or equivalent) qualification (not essential depending on other experience)
- Experience in a finance or commercial focussed role within government, a private sector bidder or another advisory firm working on one or more of: PPP, project finance, outsourcing, franchising or similar service contracts.
- Strong commercial acumen/market awareness
- Analytical, thorough and methodical approach with a good understanding of Excel spreadsheets
- Highly numerate with keen attention to detail and the ability to absorb quickly large amounts of data
- Excellent oral and written communication skills
- Capability of assuming different roles, concerned with developing others and building and maintaining effective relationships
- Strong written English skills and a strong academic record
- Motivated with a real enthusiasm for advising on public sector programmes
Your service line: Financial Advisory
Advising clients in the moments that define their business takes multiple layers of expertise. Much more than due-diligence, this is about diverse teams of specialists coming together, crossing service lines and international borders to tackle the many, complex issues involved in major transactions. And we have one of the broadest networks in the business. Here, you’ll find fascinating, career-building projects, market leading approaches, cutting-edge resources, huge clients and inspirational colleagues. As well as opportunities to develop a deep industry or product specialism.
Regulation and controls are standard practice in our industry and Deloitte is no exception. These controls provide important legal protection for both you and the firm. We are subject to a number of audit regulations, one of which requires that certain colleagues abide by specific personal independence constraints. This can mean that you and your "Immediate Family Members" are not permitted to hold certain financial interests (shares, funds, bonds etc.) with audit clients of the firm. The recruitment team will provide further detail as you progress through the recruitment process.
Our Purpose & Strategy
To make an impact that matters for our clients, our people and society - defines who we are and what we stand for. Our purpose provides the foundation for our strategy and our aspiration to be the undisputed leader in professional services: this is not about size, it's about being the first choice. The first choice for the largest and most influential clients, and the first choice for the best talent.
What do we do?
Deloitte offers global integrated professional services that include Audit & Assurance, Consulting, Financial Advisory, Risk Advisory and Tax Consulting. Our approach combines intellectual leadership, industrial expertise, insight, consulting & problem solving capabilities whatever the role, technology revolutions and innovation from multiple disciplines to help our clients excel anywhere in the world.
Beyond the UK: Deloitte North and South Europe
The UK is part of Deloitte North and South Europe (NSE), the second largest member firm in the Deloitte network. Deloitte NSE combines operations in Belgium, Central Mediterranean (Italy, Greece, Malta), Ireland, the Middle East (Bahrain, Cyprus, Egypt, Iraq, Jordan, Kuwait, Lebanon, Libya, Oman, Palestinian Ruled Territories, Qatar, Saudi Arabia, United Arab Emirates, Yemen), the Netherlands, the Nordics (Denmark, Finland, Iceland, Norway and Sweden), Switzerland and the UK. Deloitte NSE brings together 2,700 partners and over 50,000 people, combining our unmatched breadth and depth of capabilities in audit and assurance, consulting, financial advisory, risk advisory, and tax and legal across the region. Being part of Deloitte NSE supports our aspiration to be the undisputed leader in professional services and will create more opportunity and growth for our people.
What do we value?
What brings us all together at Deloitte? It’s how we approach the thousands of decisions we make every day. How we behave, our beliefs and our attitudes. In other words: our values. Whatever we do, wherever we are in the world, we lead the way, serve with integrity, take care of each other, foster inclusion, and collaborate for maximum impact. These five shared values lead every decision we make and action we take, guiding us to deliver impact how and where it matters most.
Being a Leader at Deloitte
Cultural fit and purpose-led leadership is crucial for Deloitte. Our leaders always set the example and inspire their colleagues. They make quality time for people and take an interest in them. They know what matters to people - both inside and outside work – and value them as individuals; always finding opportunities to develop them while showing respect and appreciation.
We expect colleagues at all levels to embrace and live our purpose and our leadership culture by challenging themselves to identify issues that are most important for our clients, our people, and for society and make an impact that matters. We know leadership comes in all shapes and sizes, but our Leadership Charter helps all of our people understand what we’re looking for:
- We live our purpose: we act as a role model, embracing and living our purpose and values, and recognising others for the impact they make
- We develop talent: we develop high-performing people and teams through challenging and meaningful opportunities
- We drive performance: we deliver exceptional client service; maximise results and drive high performance from people while fostering collaboration across businesses and borders
- We believe positive influence can make an impact that matters: we influence clients, teams, and individuals positively, leading by example and establishing confident relationships with increasingly senior people
- We move, together, towards a strategic direction: we understand key objectives for clients and Deloitte, aligning people to objectives and setting priorities and direction.
Deloitte LLP is a limited liability partnership registered in England and Wales with registered number OC303675 and its registered office at 1 New Street Square, London EC4A 3HQ, United Kingdom.
Deloitte LLP is the United Kingdom affiliate of Deloitte NSE LLP, a member firm of Deloitte Touche Tohmatsu Limited, a UK private company limited by guarantee ("DTTL"). DTTL and each of its member firms are legally separate and independent entities. DTTL and Deloitte NSE LLP do not provide services to clients. Please see www.deloitte.com/about to learn more about our global network of member firms.
© 2020 Deloitte LLP. All rights reserved.
Requisition code: 178538