Global Media Relations & Social Media–Global Markets & Brand Demand Associate Director
The BMC function has an important role to play in helping to achieve EY’s Vision 2020 ambition to become the leading global professional services organisation. We work hand in hand with the business to take services and solutions to market; bring our purpose, building a better working world, to life for our people, clients and communities; engage our people and build a high performing culture; and to build the commercial value and emotional resonance of the EY brand.
BMC is led globally by Karen Hopkins. The function is made up of around 2,000 professionals, working across the Executive and Regions in the following areas of specialism: Brand; Marketing; PR/Media Relations & External Communications; Internal Communications & Employee Engagement; Corporate communications.
BMC also includes a number of teams who are responsible for content development, editorial, webcasts, events-staging, strategy, planning and operations. Through the collective power of BMC, and the other teams and specialists we work with, we aim to build a better working world by driving commercial value through distinctive marketing and communications that deliver measurable market impact.
Function: Global Brand, Marketing & Communications (BMC)
Sub Function: Global Media Relations and Social Media
Job Rank: Associate Director
EY is seeking an experienced and strategic PR and social media professional to join its award-winning Global Media Relations and Social Media team. This role is charged with building demand and awareness of the EY Brand and Global Markets programs which are focused on driving commercial value through distinctive brand and communications that deliver measurable market impact. This will include supporting brand programs and initiatives that are focused on helping EY meet its ambitious target to become the most distinctive professional services brand. It also includes a high-profile portfolio from Global Markets, including EY World Entrepreneur Of The Year™, Women. Fast Forward, Macroeconomic Programs and its think tank EYQ.
As one of the most senior members of the Global Media Relations and Social Media team, the individual will play a leadership role in the wider Brand & Marketing function by developing creative ideas using insight and data to drive distinctiveness. The individual will play an active role in the development and coherent expression of the EY brand strategy, driving excellence, distinction for priority areas and marquis programs. Given the high-profile nature and interconnectedness of issues, crisis and issues management expertise is also desirable.
The ideal candidate is a polished professional with the communications and advisory skills to counsel its senior stakeholders on communications strategies and initiatives and coach on media techniques/initiatives. The individual also has strong stakeholder management skills and is equally comfortable working directly with senior leaders or playing a key support role to deliver the work for leaders and programs. As the media advisor to the EY Global Markets leadership, the successful individual will be comfortable in an often-pressured environment and have the management experience to motivate, lead and inspire eight direct reports. The individual will also need to inspire and support the EY global network of media relations and social media professionals around in the world in supporting Global Markets programs and initiatives in their local markets, as appropriate.
The candidate enjoys working on a mix of strategic, high-level programs; providing strategic and practical PR and social media support on all major campaigns, reports, thought leadership and events – inputting on both organic and paid approaches. S/he has excellent storytelling and writing skills and will ultimately be considered a valued extended team member of the business team. With long term goals in mind, the candidate develops, executes and measures plans, messages and tactics that build toward these aims.
Your key responsibilities
- In collaboration with the Global Markets business and BMC leadership, develop and implement measurable PR and social media plans and programs in support of Global Markets’ brand and business goals.
- Develop creative ideas using insight and data for impactful PR and social media campaigns
- Provide PR and social media counselling and support for strategic and high-profile campaigns, events and initiatives.
- Position key global executives as experts on key industry issues and hot topics by proactively identifying opportunities for comment or pitching reports and placing op-eds/comment pieces.
- Provide leadership and PR and social media counselling to a team of direct reports.
- Develop impactful PR, social programs and ideas that are provocative, shape the dialogue and drive brand favorability.
- Increase the EY share of voice on Global Markets topics and themes in global media as well as on social media.
- Write, commission, edit or review blogs, op-eds, announcements, social media posts, etc; identify media opportunities; create measurement reports as needed.
- Work across time zones and communicate regularly with the EY global PR network, informing them of appropriate initiatives and briefing them where appropriate.
Skills and attributes for success
- A strong team player, yet confident driver of initiatives who thinks laterally and can lead and inspire a team.
- Extensive experience in managing and advising senior leadership on a day-to-day basis.
- Strong writing and critical thinking to pull together plans, PR material or other things as needed.
- Adaptable, outcome driven individual who thrives in a fast-paced environment and can sense direction, confirm and change course as needed.
- An ability to work with complex, technical or specialist content.
To qualify for the role you must have
- Extensive number of years of PR and social media experience working in-house or within an agency, with direct experience managing major international campaigns, including integrated social media strategies.
- Signifiant number of years of experience managing, inspiring and leading a team of PR and social media practitioners – ideally international in scope and over 5-8 people in size.
- Strong direct experience supporting and influencing board-level senior management
- Proven experience creating sophisticated, strategic communications plans that are integrated and consider the broad paid, owned and earned media environment.
Ideally, you’ll also have
- Experience working in a PR role either in an agency or in-house.
- Cultural awareness and sensitivity, as this role will involve daily interaction with people in countries around the globe.
- A self-starter with a “can do” attitude and the drive to get the job done; the potential to develop within the organization.
- A passion for current affairs and business news and ideally have past experience of working within PR, social media and communications.
What we look for
We’re looking for a high energy individual who embraces change and innovation in order to ensure that we can continue to deliver world-class PR and social media initiatives in an ever-changing environment.
What working at EY offers
We offer a competitive remuneration package where you’ll be rewarded for your individual and team performance. Our comprehensive Total Rewards package includes support for flexible working and career development, and with FlexEY you can select benefits that suit your needs, covering holidays, health and well-being, insurance, savings and a wide range of discounts, offers and promotions. Plus, we offer:
- Support, coaching and feedback from some of the most engaging colleagues around
- Opportunities to develop new skills and progress your career
- The freedom and flexibility to handle your role in a way that’s right for you
EY is committed to being an inclusive employer and we are happy to consider flexible working arrangements. We strive to achieve the right balance for our people, enabling us to deliver excellent client service whilst allowing you to build your career without sacrificing your personal priorities. While our client-facing professionals can be required to travel regularly, and at times be based at client sites, our flexible working arrangements can help you to achieve a lifestyle balance.
As a global leader in assurance, tax, transaction and advisory services, we’re using the finance products, expertise and systems we’ve developed to build a better working world. That starts with a culture that believes in giving you the training, opportunities and creative freedom to make things better. Whenever you join, however long you stay, the exceptional EY experience lasts a lifetime. And with a commitment to hiring and developing the most passionate people, we’ll make our ambition to be the best employer by 2020 a reality.
If you can confidently demonstrate that you meet the criteria above, please contact us as soon as possible.
Join us in building a better working world.