Head of Employee Engagement – Employee Experience, Open to flexible working
Corporate Relations (CR) has a critical leadership role in protecting and promoting Diageo’s reputation and licence to operate, working to unlock value in service of our Performance Ambition. The work of the function contributes directly to our ambition to become the best performing, most trusted and respected consumer goods company in the world.
The Global Employee Engagement team sits within Global Brand and Communications team (GBC), which is a centre of excellence within the CR function. The GBC team is responsible for the development and delivery of an integrated reputation, communications, and engagement strategy and is accountable for: internal communications and employee engagement; external PR, media relations and press office communications; financial communications; global supply communications; Brand Diageo (our corporate brand); and the management of issues and crisis communications.
Communications is a key enabler of Diageo’s Performance Ambition, to become the best performing, most trusted and respected consumer products company in the world. Effective communication enables the delivery of our Performance Ambition. Reputation and employee engagement are fundamental drivers of consistent, sustainable business performance.
We aim to build and sustain belief in Diageo’s strategy and positively differentiate Diageo as a company founded on a clear purpose, strong values and consistent performance. We want to build world class advocacy with our employees and support the creation of the most inclusive culture, where high performing teams of engaged employees continue to learn and have what they need to deliver their best work. We intend to establish Diageo as the best place to work; for how we treat our people, how we invest, develop and empower the best talent, and how we promote diversity and inclusion in everything we do.
The Global Employee Engagement team is responsible for:
Driving engagement and alignment behind global strategic business priorities, enabling clarity for individuals on their contribution, and for providing the channels and information employees need to be able to connect to Diageo and perform at their best Enabling leaders and line managers to inspire and facilitate great conversations that build commitment, recognition and pride Enabling employees to connect to our purpose, live our values and behaviours and become advocates for Diageo
The Head of Employee Engagement – Employee Experience role will be a senior member of the Global Employee Engagement and Global Brand and Communications teams. The role will provide leadership and support to shape and drive Diageo’s employee experience, including our digital workplace, which is critically important in a globally connected, fast moving world with an employee base that increasingly works flexibly.
The role will focus on effectiveness and efficiency of our campaigns, channels and engagement today, while planning for the future, to ensure we are ahead of opportunities to offer a more sophisticated and engaging experience for employees. It also inspires, challenges and supports the organisation to leverage employee communications for maximum impact.
In this role you will report to the Global Employee Engagement Director.
The role requires excellent stakeholder and project management skills, including at the most senior levels within an organisation. The candidate will work directly with key senior stakeholders including the Executive Committee and senior leadership team, specifically the Chief HR Officer, Global Talent Director, Global Corporate Relations Director and Global Brand and Communications Director. They will partner widely across a range of functions that are key to the success of our employee engagement strategy and build relationships across an extensive network of local market-based colleagues.
Top 3-5 Accountabilities:
- Shape the employee experience strategy, ensuring our internal communications campaigns, content and channels drive maximum employee engagement. Ensure integrated delivery within the wider Global Brand & Communications strategy and partner effectively with key functions, including Human Resources and Digital & Technology, to continually scan the horizon for employee workplace platforms, opportunities, and innovations. Source and share best practice and insights to enhance Diageo’s employee workplace offering.
- Lead the development of campaigns, content and news through a best in class channel mix, providing strategy and solutions for key stakeholders, functions and markets. Strengthen confidence in the digital workplace, with a reliable, relevant and up to date offering for employees that effectively manages the flow of communications to drive engagement. Leverage internal communications champions and influencers across the organisation to build engagement.
- Together with Global Employee Engagement Director, develop and lead effective programmes to build leadership capability, ensuring Diageo’s leaders have the tools and skills to successfully engage and inspire employees. Ensure leaders, people managers and everyday content publishers understand how to navigate our digital workplace, not just finding exactly what they need, but also engaging and inspiring others to build advocacy.
- Ensure best in class measurement and evaluation of employee engagement channels, campaigns and content, providing actionable insights on performance while removing any barriers to success.
- Proven track record in a senior internal communications/employee engagement role either in-house or within a global agency
- Excellent stakeholder management capability, including at the most senior levels within an organisation
- Strong project management skills, excellent writing ability and content development capability
- Proven ability to develop engagement strategy and implement effective programmes at pace
- Deep understanding of measurement and evaluation to drive effectiveness of communications
- Hands on, practical experience of implementing and managing digital workplace technologies
- Proven experience operating within agile, cross-functional teams
- Excellent relational and interpersonal skills
- Minimum of 8-10 years’ internal communications/employee engagement experience, with significant exposure to complex, multi-national environments
- Educated to degree level or equivalent