Equality and Diversity Manager, Part time
5 days left
- Contract Type
Our client is one of the leading sets of Barristers' Chambers in the UK and a member of the bar magic circle. They have an international reputation in Commercial, EU/Competition and Public Law, with 94 members, including 44 QCs.
Chambers is seeking a Part-Time Equality and Diversity Manager to implement Chambers' E&D agenda and take responsibility for the delivery of all Chambers' equality & diversity projects. The role will span 3 days per week.
Reporting to: Chair of E&D Committee, Brick Court Chambers (Director of Finance & Operations for HR/ operational matters)
Liaising with: Pupillage & Tenancy Committees, Members of Chambers, Pupillage Manager, Clients, Clerks & Staff
* Drawing up a chambers harassment policy as part of Chambers' decision to participate in the BSB harassment reporting waiver pilot scheme.
* Ensuring compliance with BSB and Bar Council regulatory requirements such as the periodic BSB diversity survey and other activities that ensure compliance with the BSB Equality Rules.
* Review and revise chambers' website, policies and internal documents to ensure they are inclusive and comply with BSB requirements.
* Build & maintain relationships with other organisations such as the Bar Standards Board, the Bar Council, clients and charities. This includes:
* Attending events organised by external organisations such as the A&O barrister roundtable and FreeBar.
* Organising sponsorships of E&D events e.g. the Young Citizens Bar Mock Trial competition.
* Deal with queries from law firms (and legal journalists) regarding our E&D and CSR work.
* Support the activities of the CSR committee. &Providing E&D input into centenary activities.
* Setting up staff work experience programmes.
* Liaise with Pupillage Committee & Pupillage Manager to coordinate pupillage E&D activities such as work experience placements and initiatives to encourage specific underrepresented groups to the commercial bar.
* Liaise with Pupillage Committee to develop a Pupillage E&D policy.
* Collating pupillage diversity statistics in order to enable regular monitoring.
* Dealing with specific E&D issues relating to individual pupils, staff or members of chambers e.g. disability access requirements, additional equipment, liaising with Access to Work.
* To provide and maintain a first class, courteous and professional service always
* To support an 'open culture' between staff members and Members of Chambers, in which Individuals feel able to share ideas and express opinions
Education and Qualifications
* Bachelors degree or equivalent qualification
Experience & Knowledge
* At least two years' experience in a professional services environment on equality and diversity issues, or related experience.
* At least to years' experience in policy making.
* Project Management experience
* Experience of working within a barristers' chambers or the legal sector.
* Knowledge of BSB Equality Rules or similar rules from a different regulated sector
* Excellent attention to detail
* Excellent verbal and written communication skills
* Effective problem solver
* Charisma, charm and the ability to influence and persuade
* Builds strong relationships
* Target driven
* Excellent interpersonal skills, not prone to favouring certain individuals or groups over others
* A dynamic character with an outgoing and positive mindset
Job description and reporting line is indicative and not exhaustive and as such it may vary in line with changes on the team's objectives and the set policy.
Our client welcomes applications from individuals with protected characteristics under the Equality Act 2010