Data Science Leader, Open to flexible working
This is an exciting opportunity to channel your passion for Data Science to help shape the future of the Biostatistics function and revolutionise the way in which GSK conducts its R&D in the future.
Biostatistics is the single-largest functional group of Data Scientists within GSK R&D, numbering approx. 550 permanent people in the US, the UK and India. It contains statisticians and programmers who support every platform in Medicinal Science and Technology, every Research Unit and every clinical project across Research, Development, Oncology and Global Health.
We work the full spectrum of the drug discovery and development pipeline; from target identification through candidate selection, from first time administration in human through submission activities and lifecycle management; all are critically supported by members of our function.
We are investing in growing our cutting-edge statistical innovation and data science capabilities. These investments include the recent announcement of a new VP-led organisation bringing together our Advanced Biostatistics & Data Analytics (ABDA) team and our Statistical Data Sciences (SDS) team.
The SDS mission is to build capability and deliver Data Science solutions. Achieving this vision requires us to adapt to new ways of working and rebalance skills across Biostatistics. The SDS team itself is a model for our vision, consisting of Data Scientists with a variety of different skills and backgrounds, but with an emphasis on the development of systems and tools.
This is a new technical leadership position within the within our flourishing Statistical Data Sciences (SDS) team. The remit of SDS is expanding to support colleagues in functions outside Biostatistics. As a Data Science Leader within SDS your primary responsibility will be to help identify business challenges within Biostatistics and our partner organisations and use a variety of Data Science tools and methods to deliver Proof of Value initiatives.
- Innovation/Technical Knowledge. The diverse SDS team consists of subject matter experts from a variety of technical backgrounds and this is reflected in the broad range of initiatives that we support. Our deliverables can take the form of a training course/webinar, a statistical model, an R package, an application, or even a computing environment. This technical leadership role therefore requires a broad basis of technical knowledge, encompassing aspects of statistics, machine learning, application development and DevOps.
- Leadership and Teamwork. You will provide technical leadership and direction on various initiatives from pilots through to larger production deliveries. This includes close collaboration with our business partners to identify possible solutions and deliver the expected business value within the agreed timelines. You will lead and mentor teams consisting of junior team members, partners from the wider Biostatistics community and/or contract workers as applicable.
- Capability Development. In order to deliver SDS' capability development objective, it is expected that you are proactive in promoting Data Science tools and methods both internally and externally. This includes active participation and engagement with colleagues on internal social media channels. You will therefore need to be up to date with the latest tools and methods coming from the Data Science community and work with SDS technical experts to ensure clear messaging for the wider Biostatistics and Data Science communities.
We are looking for professionals with these required skills to achieve our goals:
- A postgraduate qualification (MSc/PhD) in data science, mathematics, statistics, computer science or related discipline.
- Superb written and verbal communication skills.
- Strong knowledge of R/python
- An unbiased approach to solving problems with Data Science
- The ability to solve complex problems both analytically and programmatically
- Experience developing Data Science tools/applications
- Familiarity with statistical and AI/ML prediction modelling frameworks
If you have the following characteristics, it would be a plus:
- An awareness of other analytics programming languages such as SAS
- Suitable knowledge/experience of High Performance and Cloud Computing
- Familiarity with high-dimensional and unstructured data sources
Our values and expectations are at the heart of everything we do and form an important part of our culture.
These include Patient focus, Transparency, Respect, Integrity along with Courage, Accountability, Development, and Teamwork. As GSK focuses on our values and expectations and a culture of innovation, performance, and trust, the successful candidate will demonstrate the following capabilities:
- Agile and distributed decision-making - using evidence and applying judgement to balance pace, rigour and risk
- Managing individual and team performance.
- Committed to delivering high quality results, overcoming challenges, focusing on what matters, execution.
- Implementing change initiatives and leading change.
- Sustaining energy and well-being, building resilience in teams.
- Continuously looking for opportunities to learn, build skills and share learning both internally and externally.
- Developing people and building a talent pipeline.
- Translating strategy into action - a compelling narrative, motivating others, setting objectives and delegation.
- Building strong relationships and collaboration, managing trusted stakeholder relationships internally and externally.
- Budgeting and forecasting, commercial and financial acumen.
When applying for this role, please use the 'cover letter' of the online application or your CV to describe how you meet the competencies for this role, as outlined in the job requirements above. The information that you have provided in your cover letter and CV will be used to assess your application.
As a company driven by our values of Patient focus, Transparency, Respect and Integrity, we know inclusion and diversity are essential for us to be able to succeed. We want all our colleagues to thrive at GSK bringing their unique experiences, ensuring they feel good and to keep growing their careers. As a candidate for a role, we want you to feel the same way.
As an Equal Opportunity Employer, we are open to all talent. In the US, we also adhere to Affirmative Action principles. This ensures that all qualified applicants will receive equal consideration for employment without regard to race/ethnicity, colour, national origin, religion, gender, pregnancy, marital status, sexual orientation, gender identity/expression, age, disability, genetic information, military service, covered/protected veteran status or any other federal, state or local protected class*(*US only).
We believe in an agile working culture for all our roles. If flexibility is important to you, we encourage you to explore with our hiring team what the opportunities are.
Please don't hesitate to contact us if you'd like to discuss any adjustments to our process which might help you demonstrate your strengths and capabilities.
As you apply, we will ask you to share some personal information which is entirely voluntary. We want to have an opportunity to consider a diverse pool of qualified candidates and this information will assist us in meeting that objective and in understanding how well we are doing against our inclusion and diversity ambitions. We would really appreciate it if you could take a few moments to complete it. Rest assured, Hiring Managers do not have access to this information and we will treat your information confidentially.
Important notice to Employment businesses/ Agencies
GSK does not accept referrals from employment businesses and/or employment agencies in respect of the vacancies posted on this site. All employment businesses/agencies are required to contact GSK's commercial and general procurement/human resources department to obtain prior written authorization before referring any candidates to GSK. The obtaining of prior written authorization is a condition precedent to any agreement (verbal or written) between the employment business/ agency and GSK. In the absence of such written authorization being obtained any actions undertaken by the employment business/agency shall be deemed to have been performed without the consent or contractual agreement of GSK. GSK shall therefore not be liable for any fees arising from such actions or any fees arising from any referrals by employment businesses/agencies in respect of the vacancies posted on this site.
Please note that if you are a US Licensed Healthcare Professional or Healthcare Professional as defined by the laws of the state issuing your license, GSK may be required to capture and report expenses GSK incurs, on your behalf, in the event you are afforded an interview for employment. This capture of applicable transfers of value is necessary to ensure GSK's compliance to all federal and state US Transparency requirements.