Shopper Marketing Manager, GB, Open to flexible working
Diageo was created in 1997 but its business is built on the principles and foundations laid years before by giants of the industry – Arthur Guinness, John Walker, Elizabeth Cumming and many more. Today, Diageo is a world class leader in beverage alcohol, producing an outstanding collection of over 200 brands and owning the top two largest spirit brands in the world, Johnnie Walker and Smirnoff and 20 of the world’s top 100 spirit brands. Its portfolio also includes Crown Royal, J&B, Buchanan’s and Windsor Whiskies, Cîroc and Ketel One vodkas, Captain Morgan, Baileys, Don Julio, Tanqueray and Guinness.
Diageo has built a strong platform for growth – through investment in its own brands, and by acquisition to broaden the geographical footprint and category depth and range. The company’s strong local business units are well-positioned to win in increasingly competitive and fast-paced environments. Diageo’s portfolio is well-diversified across price-tiers, enabling it to participate where consumer opportunity is greatest, and to capture shifts in consumer preference.
Winning at the point of purchase, with customers is fundamental to brand and business growth as retailers and wholesalers determine how our categories and brands are presented to consumers and shoppers. Shoppers increasingly buy from a repertoire of brands and the vast majority of decision making is made at the point of purchase hence our ability to influence the point of purchase is critical to business growth. The effectiveness of our shopper marketing is therefore fundamental and will focus on driving recruitment and/or premiumisation across the different shopper missions and sub channels (wholesale, ecommerce, grocery, convenience etc). This will involve work closely with brand teams and GBTs to understand key brand assets, TTL programming and visual assets, but the role of shopper marketing will pivot to support the channel and customer team to guarantee a step change in execution, behaviour change and ROI.
Shopper marketing will be organised around sub categories (eg beer, whiskies) but the team will build behavioural understanding of shopper behaviour in different channels and occasion to build our understanding around how to nudge behaviour across the shopper journey. This will define the create briefs and creative development and will inform the channel blueprints defining growth driver prioritisation and activation standards by activity and channel.
- Lead the creative development of integrated shopper marketing programmes designed to drive effective and efficient shopper conversion at the point or purchase.
- Ensure shopper marketing programmes are developed through the lens of the priority channels (grocery, convenience, discounters, ecommerce, B2B, managed retail on trade, independent on trade) and there is consistency in the deployment of key brand assets to build and access memory structures.
- Lead the briefing and management of agencies to ensure all tools are delivered on time in full in line with customer requirements.
- Ensure robust M&E is in place , to develop comprehensive understanding of behaviour change and corresponding drivers of financial performance
- Build brilliant partnerships with the Customer Activation teams to ensure their needs are being fully met and programmes can be easily tailored to meet specific customer needs
- Build partnerships with the GBTs, consumer marketing, category strategy and innovation teams to ensure creative asset development requirements are delivered and work is develop in line with brand strategy and creative guidelines
Ideal experiences / Qualifications / capabilities
- 5+ years of relevant marketing/commercial/customer marketing/trade marketing experience
- Existing capability to build genuine relationships built on mutual trust & respect
- Successful management of senior stakeholders, resulting in strong and positive outcomes
- Holistic skill set across various marketing growth drivers as well as a track record of delivering transformational business results
- Comfort with dealing with ambiguity, complexity and working within a fast-paced, entrepreneurial and matrixed environment
- Demonstrated brilliant execution to high standards
- Deep personal accountability for great performance
- Strong commercial and numerical acumen with attention to detail