Senior Shopper Marketing Manager, GB, Open to flexible working
Diageo was created in 1997 but its business is built on the principles and foundations laid years before by giants of the industry – Arthur Guinness, John Walker, Elizabeth Cumming and many more. Today, Diageo is a world class leader in beverage alcohol, producing an outstanding collection of over 200 brands and owning the top two largest spirit brands in the world, Johnnie Walker and Smirnoff and 20 of the world’s top 100 spirit brands. Its portfolio also includes Crown Royal, J&B, Buchanan’s and Windsor Whiskies, Cîroc and Ketel One vodkas, Captain Morgan, Baileys, Don Julio, Tanqueray and Guinness.
Diageo has built a strong platform for growth – through investment in its own brands, and by acquisition to broaden the geographical footprint and category depth and range. The company’s strong local business units are well-positioned to win in increasingly competitive and fast-paced environments. Diageo’s portfolio is well-diversified across price-tiers, enabling it to participate where consumer opportunity is greatest, and to capture shifts in consumer preference.
Diageo's culture is built and maintained by the five values that underpin its business and guide how Diageo works. At Diageo, employees are passionate about its customers and consumers and want to be the best. They give each other the freedom to succeed and value each other. Employees work hard so they can be proud of what they do and how they do it. While Diageo moves at pace, constantly evolving and improving, its values remain consistent. Diageo wants that employees live these values every day, everywhere so that Diageo can be proud of what they do and be the best that they can be.
Winning at the point of purchase, with customers is fundamental to brand and business growth as retailers and wholesalers determine how our categories and brands are presented to consumers and shoppers. Shoppers increasingly buy from a repertoire of brands and the vast majority of decision making is made at the point of purchase hence our ability to influence the point of purchase is critical to business growth. The effectiveness of our shopper marketing is therefore fundamental and will focus on driving recruitment and/or premiumisation across the different shopper missions and sub channels (wholesale, ecommerce, grocery, convenience etc). This will involve work closely with brand teams and GBLT to understand key brand assets, TTL programming and visual assets, but the role of shopper marketing will pivot to support the channel and customer team to guarantee a step change in execution, behaviour change and ROI.
Shopper marketing will be organised around sub categories (eg beer, whiskies) but the team will build behavioural understanding of shopper behaviour in different channels and occasion to build our understanding around how to nudge behaviour across the shopper journey. This will define the create briefs and creative development and will inform the channel blueprints defining growth driver prioritisation and activation standards by activity and channel.
- Lead the development of deep shopper understanding and translate these insights into a calendar of integrated shopper marketing activities that delivers behaviour change at the point of purchase to meet Diageo’s short and long term goals across category
- Partner with the Head of Revenue Growth planning, Head of Category Strategy ,Category Director and Customer Activation leads to build the one commercial plan that can be executed across different channel (eg E commerce v grocery v wholesale) and proactively managing the O&R process through the business calendar across whisky/beer/VRT/BGP category
- Ensure all shopper marketing activities are generated to deliver triple win aligned to the Adult Drinks, Brand and channel strategies. Shopper marketing programmes are to be developed through the lens of the priority channels (grocery, convenience, discounters, ecommerce, B2B, managed retail on trade, independent on trade) and there is consistency in the deployment of key brand assets to build and access memory structures.
- Oversee and manage the relationship with agencies, supplier, GBLT to drive productivity and efficient delivery including budget management
- Ensure robust M&E is in place , to develop comprehensive understanding of behavious change and corresponding drivers of financial performance
- Build brilliant partnerships with the Customer Activation teams to ensure their needs are being fully met and programmes can be easily tailored to meet specific customer needs
- Build partnerships with the GBLTs, consumer marketing, category strategy and innovation teams to ensure creative asset development requirements are delivered and work is develop in line with brand strategy and creative guidelines
- Build a comprehensive learning bank with the support of consumer planning to decode how to effectively and efficiency recruit and premiumise. As part of this ensure that there is a plan to experiment and learn, testing big one day thinking that can be scaled fast.
Ideal experiences / Qualifications / capabilities
- 8+ years of relevant commercial & marketing experience
- Exceptional ability to build and maintain genuine relationships based on mutual trust & respect
- Successful management of senior stakeholders at all levels, resulting in strong and positive outcomes
- Holistic skill set across all marketing pillars as well as a track record of leading transformational business results
- Being able to excel when dealing with ambiguity, complexity and working within a fast-paced, entrepreneurial and matrixed environment
- Demonstrated brilliant execution to impeccably high standards
- Deep personal accountability for great performance
- Strong end to end commercial FMCG understanding, alongside high levels of numerical acumen and attention to detail
- Experience of working with and leading a team, whether directly or indirectly
- Experience working across multiple countries/geographies/cultures