Project Manager, Open to flexible working
At Diageo, we’re custodians of a range of globally-recognised alcohol brands – including Baileys, Gordon’s, Guinness and Smirnoff – that few can rival. Our aim is to make Diageo the best performing, most trusted and respected consumer products company in the world. And getting there means taking full advantage of an evergrowing and ever-changing digital landscape. So it comes as no surprise that growing our digital capabilities and securing the very best talent are vital to our continued success. There’s never been a better time to join one of our digital teams. We’re a market leader in online spirits and growing our share faster than our competition. We’ve also been given the exciting challenge of driving transformation throughout the business and putting digital at the heart of everything we do. This makes for a whole host of opportunities to activate our brands in fresh and exciting ways on an unprecedented scale. There are new methods of engaging our audiences that we’re only just starting to imagine, and this is your chance to be a part of it. We need digital natives who are genuinely passionate about digital commerce and have a proven track record of delivering outstanding performance, but also people who are excited to bring our legendary brands to life. Join us, and help us forge an exciting future.
About the role:
Diageo Digital & Technology (DT) is a multi-functional, digital delivery function established to liberate and equip markets to deliver the Diageo’s Strategic Priorities. This is achieved through:
- Putting our customers at the heart of delivery
- World class end to end process execution
- Generating performance enhancing insights from data
- Providing CPG leading digital capabilities and solutions
- Responding to and embracing change
D&T plays a critical role in enabling Diageo’s digital agenda through delivering our strategic priorities in many areas, including E-Commerce, Digital Marketing, Demand Sensing and Manufacturing Optimisation. Project Managers and responsible for delivering projects within a Product area:
- Corporate Functions
- Insight & Analytics, Data
- Technology Foundations
This role sits within the Corporate Functions. The Corporate Functions product line delivers global, as well as local or regional systems and applications projects in the Finance, Legal and Corporate Relations area for Diageo Plc, supporting the continuous improvement and legal compliance of these functions across Diageo Plc. The projects delivered use various technologies including SAP, Anaplan, MicroStrategy, many cloud-based solutions and internal Finance applications. Project demand in Corporate Functions is created by the Finance Leadership Group making them our primary stakeholders.
Purpose of Role
The project manager has the overall responsibility for project delivery. This includes successful initiation, planning, design, execution, monitoring, controlling and closure of a project. In Corporate Functions the project manager would be experienced in the delivery of Finance systems related projects or would have a multi-year work history in the area (Financial Control, Tax, Risk& Controls, Treasury, etc.). The CF project manager is familiar with Agile, has managed Agile projects and has worked in an Agile organisation. This role will lead the delivery of high complexity projects with multiple work streams or deployments within the Corporate Functions area.
D&T delivers products to all Diageo markets and functions. Project Managers will typically lead a project with a complex multi geography/functional/process/ system footprint. Risk to business operations, change impact, and compliance/controls is in the mid to high range.
Leadership Responsibilities & capabilities
- Lead the project team through great planning, organisation and communication.
- Create collaboration across team members and stakeholders, hold project team members to account.
- Anticipate project risks and issues working with your team and stakeholders. Solve problems as they arise, escalating risks and issues that cannot be managed at project level.
- Own end to end project delivery, lead the team to deliver against the plan and timelines.
- Accountable for a project with rigorous governance. Establish a clear & robust governance model, use project governance to drive decisions & outcomes.
- Confirm and deliver the business outcomes, working collaboratively with your team and stakeholders.
- Work with stakeholders to manage change ensuring project benefits are delivered.
The Project Manager will typically lead a project of £0,5-1m however, could be as much as £2m+ budget and is accountable for managing to this budget, flagging risks & opportunities as appropriate.
- Plan, Organise & Communicate: Develop and manage project timeline and schedule. Proactively anticipate impacts of the current and future project phases. Translate project plans into business speak ensuring clear communication with stakeholders.
- Risk, Issue & Dependency Management: Anticipate risks and issues, use problem solving and collaboration skills to mitigate risks and resolve issues. Work with stakeholder groups to identify dependencies bringing risks issues into your project. Communicate risks and issues clearly to stakeholders at all levels (where appropriate).
- Financial Management: Project manager is accountable for end to end project financial planning and management. Quarterly spend must be confirmed against business outcomes. Monthly financial management processes must be followed.
- Own end to end project delivery: Inspire and lead the team to deliver against the plan and timelines. Create collaboration across diverse team members with different individual styles and backgrounds. Hold project team and stakeholders to account, having difficult and constructive conversations where they are required. Influence where needed to move the project forward.
- Accountable for a project with rigorous governance: Establish at the outset a clear & robust project governance model. Use the project governance to drive decisions, outcomes, engagement and management of stakeholders. Follow the Diageo PACE methodology and work with Delivery Partners including data privacy, IM&S, EA & COEs to ensure project compliance in these high-risk areas.
- Deliver business outcomes: Ensure stakeholders are engaged behind the project outcome. The team and stakeholders understand the agenda and are clear on what they need to do to deliver against it. Be resilient and resourceful, solve problems as they arise.
- Manage Change: Understand the wider impact of project and change implementation. Gain buy in and sponsorship at the correct level to support product implementation. Collaborate with stakeholders to ensure there is an awareness of the need for change, desire to support the change, knowledge and ability to receive the change and that stakeholders have a plan to make the change stick and deliver the project benefits.
- Vendor Management: Work with one or more vendors to develop and deliver project solutions, ensure adherence to Diageo compliance standards.
- 5-7 Years project delivery experience, having delivered complex finance or financial transformation projects
- Experience in one or more of the following technologies:
- Experience with financial systems, or work experience in the area
- SAP FI/CO knowledge, PS is advantage
- Certified Project manager with strong Agile experience
- Skills in: Stakeholder Management, Influencing, Communication, Negotiation, Financial Management, Risk & Issue Management, Planning, Critical Thinking, Coaching and Leadership, Vendor Management, Conflict Management
- Key Competencies: Communication, Problem Solving, Coaching, Delivery Focus, Customer Focus, Influencing, Collaboration, Critical Thinking & Analysis, Stakeholder management, Continuous Improvement