Head of Engineering Systems and Risk Management, Open to flexible working
In this position, ready access to GSK House is preferred. However, we are able to consider candidates at other UK and Ireland locations.
We need someone to provide leadership and critical oversight of Engineering Systems, Standards, Risk Management and Governance across the Consumer Healthcare Supply Chain. You'll lead a team of technical specialists, continuously improving standards and performance in our fundamentals, including critical utilities, process, machinery and construction safety. By taking a multifaceted and progressive approach to improving our competitive position, this role will bring innovation to our automation platforms, taking us to the forefront of digital technologies!
We are building a robust team, capable of unlocking talent across the CH network and positively impacting capability throughout. Your strategic judgement, and eye for an opportunity, will also empower the deployment of joined-up initiatives and accelerated cycles of improvement in all areas.
We need an enabler of technological advancement - someone able to make an impact across central functions, to ensure Engineering services align with critical EHS and Quality standards, and to work closely with the regions to deliver benefits to sites and customers.
The Global Engineering team is being set up from zero base. As such, we are looking for someone with a novel, fast-paced approach, someone energised by the considerable task ahead - to build the best performing Consumer Health company in the world! You will play a meaningful role in the development of the business strategy through safeguarding fundamental safety, quality and network security standards, as well as the continuous drive to improve performance and to introduce new digital platforms and technologies. You will raise the brand of Engineering, developing a credible, confident and capable organisation, looked to not only for solutions, but also relied upon to drive success from the front.
Key responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
- Leading Engineering Compliance & Governance within CH SC ensuring EHS and GMP requirements and expectations are fulfilled
- Accountability for the SC Engineering Governance and audit programme, and compliance
- Leading and supporting investigations of adverse events to identify root cause and develop robust actions to prevent repeat.
- Leading all aspects of the £180m pa Capital and Construction Programme for CH. Working with Finance, the sites and regions to align with strategy and deliver business benefit.
- Ensuring capital programmes are correctly planned, reported and governed and project and construction hazards are correctly handled to minimise EHS and business risk.
- Engaging proactively to develop corporate standards and optimise Supply Chain Engineering systems and practices so that they remain current, compliant, effective and readily deployed.
- Supporting network changes, ensuring compliant exits for existing sites, gap analysis and closure for acquisitions and additions.
- Drive technological advancement with automation and digitisation.
- Engaging and deploying the Loss Prevention Programme in conjunction with Corporate Insurance and Risk Management, to prevent property loss and supply chain interruption.
- Identifying strategic engineering solutions that challenge existing practices and on-board of new engineering solutions
- Providing guidance and support for standardised Engineering organisation design & talent development processes.
- Ensure capability and processes are in place, so Engineering areas of EHS Duty Holding for high severity risks are effectively deployed through the business.
- Champion the product contamination reduction program, building site expertise & reducing the cost & frequency of contamination events.
In this position, you will lead the Central Engineering team in the new Consumer Health business. Therefore, will require not only considerable technical knowledge, but the high level leadership, influencing and engagement skills required to make changes successfully and to build new organisational and interpersonal structures. Using highly refined business and financial skill, you'll understand conflicting priorities and deftly balance expectations, whilst delivering significant results in a highly sophisticated environment. Though compelling and clear communication, engineering initiatives will be presented in a way which is understood, and appreciated, by partners throughout the company.
You will excel in developing understanding and capability, taking a strategic approach to developing people - both directly through your own team, but also through wider communication of the purpose and goals of engineering. You'll act as a mentor and a coach, capable of leading leaders, and working across boundaries, both functional and geographical. This is a highly demanding and exciting business transformation, so you will need resilience, confidence and the courage to make difficult but impactful decisions.
CLOSING DATE for applications: Friday 15th January (COB)
Please take a copy of the Job Description, as this will not be available post closure of the advert.
Required Qualifications and Experience:
- Hold Chartered Engineer status
- Engineering Degree qualified, ideally in a Mechanical, Electrical or Chemical specialism
- A consistent record of delivering change in highly regulated manufacturing industries, such as food, consumer health, FMCG or similar.
- Experience, at a business Supply Chain level, of: Governance of Engineering Risk, Engineering Compliance standards and tools, and Audit Universe and Schedule
- Significant Portfolio and Project Management experience
- Practical knowledge of Construction safety
- Demonstrated aptitude for technology, such as automation, cyber security and Digital Factory
- Proven experience in capability development, both for individuals and teams
- Masters, or other higher level, degree qualified in an engineering subject area
- Additional Project Management qualifications, such as a Prince 2
- Additional Lean/Six Sigma qualifications/formal training
- Broader business experience, offering insight outside engineering operations
- Demonstrated financial and business skill
- Sector experience ideally across both Pharma and FMCG
At GSK, we're a company with a special purpose, to help people do more feel better and live longer. Realising our purpose starts with us. When we feel at our best, we perform at our best.
When you set out on your adventure at GSK, we make a deal. You commit to living GSK's values and expectations and performing against our Innovation, Performance and Trust priorities. And in return, GSK commits to providing the right environment for you to thrive. Put simply, it's about you being motivated to do your best work, in a place where you can be you, feel good and keep growing.
Together we build an environment where we can all thrive and focus on what matters most to each of us. It is only through the energy, dedication, drive and passion of all of us that we can be the very best for GSK, and importantly, for our patients and consumers.
When applying for this role, please use the 'cover letter' of the online application or your CV to describe how you meet the competencies for this role, as outlined in the job requirements above. The information that you have provided in your cover letter and CV will be used to assess your application.
During the course of your application you will be requested to complete voluntary information which will be used in monitoring the effectiveness of our equality and diversity policies. Your information will be treated as confidential and will not be used in any part of the selection process. If you require a reasonable adjustment to the application / selection process to enable you to demonstrate your ability to perform the job requirements please contact 0808 234 4391. This will help us to understand any modifications we may need to make to support you throughout our selection process.
As a company driven by our values of Patient focus, Transparency, Respect and Integrity, we know inclusion and diversity are essential for us to be able to succeed. We want all our colleagues to thrive at GSK bringing their unique experiences, ensuring they feel good and to keep growing their careers. As a candidate for a role, we want you to feel the same way.
As an Equal Opportunity Employer, we are open to all talent. In the US, we also adhere to Affirmative Action principles. This ensures that all qualified applicants will receive equal consideration for employment without regard to race/ethnicity, colour, national origin, religion, gender, pregnancy, marital status, sexual orientation, gender identity/expression, age, disability, genetic information, military service, covered/protected veteran status or any other federal, state or local protected class*(*US only).
We believe in an agile working culture for all our roles. If flexibility is important to you, we encourage you to explore with our hiring team what the opportunities are.
Please don't hesitate to contact us if you'd like to discuss any adjustments to our process which might help you demonstrate your strengths and capabilities.
As you apply, we will ask you to share some personal information which is entirely voluntary. We want to have an opportunity to consider a diverse pool of qualified candidates and this information will assist us in meeting that objective and in understanding how well we are doing against our inclusion and diversity ambitions. We would really appreciate it if you could take a few moments to complete it. Rest assured, Hiring Managers do not have access to this information and we will treat your information confidentially.
Important notice to Employment businesses/ Agencies
GSK does not accept referrals from employment businesses and/or employment agencies in respect of the vacancies posted on this site. All employment businesses/agencies are required to contact GSK's commercial and general procurement/human resources department to obtain prior written authorization before referring any candidates to GSK. The obtaining of prior written authorization is a condition precedent to any agreement (verbal or written) between the employment business/ agency and GSK. In the absence of such written authorization being obtained any actions undertaken by the employment business/agency shall be deemed to have been performed without the consent or contractual agreement of GSK. GSK shall therefore not be liable for any fees arising from such actions or any fees arising from any referrals by employment businesses/agencies in respect of the vacancies posted on this site.
Please note that if you are a US Licensed Healthcare Professional or Healthcare Professional as defined by the laws of the state issuing your license, GSK may be required to capture and report expenses GSK incurs, on your behalf, in the event you are afforded an interview for employment. This capture of applicable transfers of value is necessary to ensure GSK's compliance to all federal and state US Transparency requirements.