Internal Communications Manager - Open to flexibility
Internal Communications Manager - Open to flexibility
At KPMG, our values define who we are and the way we do business. As a leading professional services firm, we know that our strength and capability come from our people – their different perspectives, experiences and backgrounds. From our inclusive leadership strategy to our diversity and inclusion targets – we’re making bold changes to who we are and what we do. Be part of it.
This role sits within the Internal Communications (IC) team, part of the Corporate Communications department, itself part of the Corporate Affairs function. The IC team supports the business in two ways: through multi-channel editorial, publishing and production; and by business partnering to provide communications support to priority strategic and operational projects.
This is a varied role demanding a flexible and adaptable approach. It would be preferable if the successful candidate had experience of internal and change communication to drive employee engagement. They will combine the ability to give sound strategic communication advice to internal clients with the knowledge and enthusiasm for delivering the tactics.
This role will require the individual to work with senior members of the UK leadership team including the Executive Committee (ExCo) and Partners to deliver firm-wide communication and engagement initiatives, which are aligned to the vision and business strategy.
In addition to supporting the broader team, the individual will concentrate on developing and delivering strategic communication plans for the People/ HR team, and supporting targeted leadership communications, including the development of weekly leader updates and support for the Annual Partner Conference.
As a member of the IC team this person is a key part of the content engine for all online and offline channels including the weekly news channel (Newsroom), quarterly updates and other regular communication and engagement activities originating from the leadership and central teams.
- Develop internal communication, change and employee engagement strategies and plans in line with the firm’s 2020 strategic plan
- Develop and execute engaging communication and engagement plans that support key People function initiatives and priorities (ex. support the annual employee engagement survey, performance reviews, learning and development, recruitment, etc.)
- Be accountable for the successful implementation and roll-out of communication plans, including messaging, branding, drafting communications, identifying audiences, channel management and measurement
- Support the planning and execution of leadership events (ex. annual partner conference, regular people leader conferences) and communication that increase leaders’ engagement and improve two-way interaction between leaders, managers and staff
- Work closely with colleagues in PR and Corporate Affairs to ensure alignment of corporate messages and activity
- Work with teams across the business to develop weekly newsletters for our leadership groups (partners, directors and people leaders)
- Collate, share and act upon feedback from colleagues and specific internal communication measurement to inform and improve future activity
- Proactively participate in and develop the KPMG communications network to coordinate activity and share best practice
- Educate and coach stakeholders about the value of good practice internal communication and act as an ambassador for the IC team
- Manage budget, resource and suppliers in delivery of the internal communications programme as required
The role requires a self-motivated individual who is able to build relationships across KPMG and is comfortable working with senior members of the leadership team, ExCo and Partners. A strong track record working in communications (in-house or agency) is essential along with experience dealing with complex, sensitive and challenging projects. Experience of HR communications would be an asset. Membership of professional body and/or relevant qualifications would be an advantage.
- Ability to combine strategic thinking with a demonstrable track record in successful implementation
- Good knowledge of communication planning and change management approaches
- Strong influencing skills and stakeholder management. Able to cultivate and maintain good working relationships and manage demanding and challenging clients. Also able to provide critical feedback and handle sensitive issues when needed. Has the gravitas and experience to give credible advice and inspire confidence at all levels and can provide compelling and well thought out solutions to complex problems.
- Excellent writing, editorial and presentation skills. Able to identify, craft and deliver key messages, narratives and information in succinct and engaging ways
- Strong technical knowledge of key communication channels and content including intranet, print, film, digital and social media. Experienced in commissioning branding and design and interested in the impact technology is having on communication and collaboration
- Events management – knows how to plan and execute events and interventions that deliver on organisational objectives and drive engagement
- Very strong project management skills, with the ability to self-manage, prioritising a wide number and variety of tasks to deliver overall objectives. Excellent organisational abilities and attention to detail and applies sound judgment when faced with difficult decisions
- Good understanding of the PR and political environment and internal business dynamic so can adapt and integrate internal communications with all other communication and corporate activities
- A team player with a collaborative approach. Able to manage and effectively support junior team members in their development
- Energy, commitment and ability to maintain a sense of humour and perspective under pressure, changing priorities and tight deadlines. Able to balance a varied workload
- Experience of professional services would be an asset
- Ability to generate and embed creative ideas that add value
We recognise that as individuals, we each have particular needs and that one size doesn’t fit all, when it comes to how, when and where you work. That’s why we’re proud to offer our colleagues agile working options. We believe in putting you at the centre of your career – KPMG will offer the training, development and stimulating work environment to help you get to where your career ambitions are. That’s why we introduced ‘Our Deal’ – it’s our way of saying ‘thank you’ for bringing your best to work. As part of ‘Our Deal’, you’ll benefit from a range of rewards from secondment opportunities and preferential banking services to a day off on your birthday and have open, honest conversations about your career development.