Payroll Senior Manager, Open to flexible working
Join us and you’ll shape more than just your career
We believe we’re best positioned to make a meaningful impact on the economy. Every day, we provide a diverse range of organisations with the kind of business and financial advice it takes to do this. Our ideas and insights empower our clients to make big decisions about the future and unlock sustainable growth. With a relentless focus on quality and integrity, we help businesses, communities and our people to flourish.
Let’s talk about the job
If you enjoy working on a wide-reaching range of projects that will help businesses and communities flourish, you’ll fit right in. Here are some things you can expect from this Senior Payroll Manager role.
- Making quality second nature. This means doing what’s right even when no one’s looking. The work that you will do has a major impact on our clients and our firm. We pride ourselves on the high-level standards we have for the work that we do. You will be responsible for the technical quality within the payroll team. You will deal with a wide range of technical issues and client situations and keep clients up to date with relevant technical issues, including those tax issues outside of specialist area. You will act with integrity and in line with our organisational values
- Own your own work. You will be responsible of managing your own client relationships and making them as profitable as possible. You will be responsible for the payroll team’s work that is delivered to clients. You will act as the main point of contact for the client, developing a clear and detailed understanding of the business and client expectations. You need to be able to sell into clients and intermediaries and actively take the teams’ skills to market, establishing and developing key client contacts
- Be a part of a team. You will lead the payroll team comprising of about 15 team members. The payroll team is part of Employer Solutions South that comprises approx. 45 team members in four discrete teams: Global Mobility Services (GMS); Employment Taxes (ET); Reward Advisory Services (RAS); and Payroll Advisory Services. Employer Solutions sits within the South Tax team. You will be reporting to Gavin Blackman, a GMS Tax Director who leads the Employer Solutions South team from an operational perspective
- Take responsibility. You will be responsible for ensuring good quality work is delivered to the clients and this will be measures by the number of complaints raised by the clients plus the customer satisfaction surveys we undertake. You will also be responsible for growing the payroll business and you will be set goals around this and then measured against those goals. You will ensure compliance with internal procedures including the completion of take-on and keeping relevant parties informed of progression on each job. You will be responsible for appraising Managers and Assistant Managers by giving regular feedback, timely appraisals and providing development opportunities
- Build your brand. You are responsible for your own career at Grant Thornton. We have a Business School with various development tools that will be available to you. It would be good to raise your profile internally within Grant Thornton, including our international network where we often obtain payroll referrals. You need to work with partners, directors and managers to promote the firm's tax expertise and other services to clients and target clients both internally and externally as this will also raise your profile.
The minimum criteria
- CIPP qualified
- Good working knowledge of IRIS payroll system
Skills to set you apart
Here are a few more skills we are looking for. Don’t worry if you don’t tick every box. It’s important for us to support you in your role and help you to develop along the way.
- Technical ability – you will be the main technical resource for the Team
- Leadership skills – you need to demonstrate experience in leading a team
- Client handling skills – you will have the final responsibility for any client matters
- Business development – you need to demonstrate that you can win new payroll work
- Commercial acumen – you need to demonstrate you have managed a profitable payroll business/team
Do you care about the same things we do?
We have six values we work by. When we meet, we’ll want you to show us how they’re important to you, too.
Collaboration: We work together, share ideas and always make time to help each other out.
Leadership: Everyone has the chance to lead their own projects.
Excellence: Quality is central to our purpose. We love what we do, and it shows. We sweat the details. We see things through, no matter how tricky.
Agility: The world moves quickly. To keep up, we stay flexible – changing approaches, changing projects, working offline, online, together and alone to get things done.
Respect: A given, of course: we value each other and our clients. We listen, we understand, we care.
Responsibility: The decisions we make and advice we give affects people’s lives and livelihoods. We take that seriously and always do well by doing what’s right.
Share ideas and profits
Unlike most firms, we’re also a shared enterprise. So when the firm does well, everyone does well by taking home a share of the profits. Of course, to get those profits, we need to share ideas and share responsibility for our work, too.
Bring your whole self
Now you’ve seen our values, it shouldn’t be a surprise that we’re creating a respectful, open, diverse place to work. Building an inclusive culture, where we value difference and respect our colleagues, is not just the right thing to do, it helps our people to perform at the best of their ability and realise their potential.
“We are committed to making sure that the opportunities within our firm are equally accessible for everyone – regardless of background or gender.” Dave Dunckley, CEO
There’s more to life than work
Families, children, sports, night classes…the things you do and the people you’re with outside work matter. They can inspire, motivate and energise you. Inside the office and out. So if you’d like to work flexibly, let us know. We’re happy to look at flexible working options for all our roles, and we’ll always do our best to keep your work and life in balance.
For further details and to submit your application please click 'Apply'.