Industrial Hygiene and Chemical Safety Manager, Open to flexible working
6 days left
- Contract Type
This is a significant role as part of the Global EHS Shared Service team for Consumer Health. You will act as an Industrial Hygiene subject matter expert (SME), helping to set standard for the central organization, and supporting sites, as needed. This focuses on the management of Industrial Hygiene and Ergonomics risks and the reduction of risk and improvement of controls. In role, you will primarily look after Europe, the Middle East and Africa (EMEA), requiring international travel (from 25-40%) across c. 10 manufacturing sites and some R&D and commercial facilities.
This is a new and extremely dynamic working environment, offering an opportunity to learn all about the CH business, as well as to influence how it develops and is managed moving forward. You will have an extensive remit with significant responsibility and subsequent visibility across the region. To be successful, you will need the confidence and skill to develop fantastic working relationships globally and will be utilising this network to drive improvements in Industrial Hygiene, Chemical Safety and Ergonomics.
Key Responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
- Providing deep technical support in industrial hygiene and ergonomics and other topics (such as REACH and TDG) as identified
- Lead Industrial Hygiene and Ergonomics across the region
- Identifying key talent & building organisational capability within region - promote inter-site networking
- Identifying and mitigating safety & business risks associated with industrial hygiene and ergonomics across the region while being cost sensitive - the role will need to be adept at balancing cost versus risk versus benefit
- Ensuring alignment of significant capital investment projects with GSK standards, from concept to execution
- Ensuring an effective chemical, physical and biological risk management strategy is in place at all sites in the region - including R&D and manufacturing sites
- Ensuring an effective ergonomics programme in place for the region including R&D, manufacturing and commercial operations
- Working in close collaboration with above site engineering and EHS colleagues to support their activity and leverage any synergies in work streams, as well site teams to cascade and develop improvements, good practice and innovations
- Providing input to Facility Master Plans and Capital Plans to achieve risk reduction in industrial hygiene and ergonomics
- Working with region finance and engineering teams to build solid business cases for significant capital investments.
- Coordination and management of existing global SME partner activity across the region, while also building relationships with engineering consultancies in EMEA to support Industrial Hygiene and Ergonomics programme and to ensure EU market access by complying with REACH regulations
- Developing, owning and presenting insightful data and information to the EMEA region leadership team regarding current status and performance against Industrial Hygiene and Ergonomics objectives.
- Provide proactive and reactive technical support and oversight to audits and incident investigations.
This role requires relationship building and networking, in order to engage effectively with a range of stakeholders including EHS Regional leads, site personnel, senior site management and more. You must be able to influence people, winning engagement and enthusiasm for changes and improvements as necessary. This will also require strong report writing and presentation skills, and the ability to coach others, deliver training and to develop staff, as you will need to improve capability across the network in your areas of expertise. You will use analytical skills to identify opportunities for improvement, and a strategic thinking approach to deliver these across multiple business areas. This will require the ability to work well in a team, and deliver a variety of work under pressure, while multi-tasking.
Please take a copy of the Job Description, as this will not be available post closure of the advert.
Required Qualifications and experience:
- Bachelor's degree level qualification in Science, Engineering or Occupational Health
- We will also consider significant relevant industry experience in an Industrial Hygiene role, or specialist IH/OH qualifications as an alternative to the bachelor's degree
- Industry experience in a related sector, such as Pharma, Consumer Health or FMCG manufacturing
- Significant, hands on experience in Industrial Hygiene / Occupational Hygiene
- Hands on experience performing IH and Ergonomics risk management activities
- Further, additional specialist qualifications in EHS or Environmental disciplines
- Industry experience in Consumer Health Manufacturing
- Hands on experience in an Engineering role/function
- BOHS Qualifications - Certificate of Operational Competence and/or Diploma of Professional Competence
- Experience in developing containment solutions to manage chemical exposures
- Knowledge in the use of the Cority IH database and 3M Industrial Hygiene Decision Analysis (Bayesan Analysis) software
- Hands on experience using Humantech's Ergonomic platform
At GSK, we're a company with a special purpose, to help people do more feel better and live longer. Realising our purpose starts with us. When we feel at our best, we perform at our best.
When you set out on your adventure at GSK, we make a deal. You commit to living GSK's values and expectations and performing against our Innovation, Performance and Trust priorities. And in return, GSK commits to providing the right environment for you to thrive. Put simply, it's about you being motivated to do your best work, in a place where you can be you, feel good and keep growing.
Together we build an environment where we can all thrive and focus on what matters most to each of us. It is only through the energy, dedication, drive and passion of all of us that we can be the very best for GSK, and importantly, for our patients and consumers.
When applying for this role, please use the 'cover letter' of the online application or your CV to describe how you meet the competencies for this role, as outlined in the job requirements above. The information that you have provided in your cover letter and CV will be used to assess your application.
During the course of your application you will be requested to complete voluntary information which will be used in monitoring the effectiveness of our equality and diversity policies. Your information will be treated as confidential and will not be used in any part of the selection process. If you require a reasonable adjustment to the application / selection process to enable you to demonstrate your ability to perform the job requirements please contact 0808 234 4391. This will help us to understand any modifications we may need to make to support you throughout our selection process.
As a company driven by our values of Patient focus, Transparency, Respect and Integrity, we know inclusion and diversity are essential for us to be able to succeed. We want all our colleagues to thrive at GSK bringing their unique experiences, ensuring they feel good and to keep growing their careers. As a candidate for a role, we want you to feel the same way.
As an Equal Opportunity Employer, we are open to all talent. In the US, we also adhere to Affirmative Action principles. This ensures that all qualified applicants will receive equal consideration for employment without regard to race/ethnicity, colour, national origin, religion, gender, pregnancy, marital status, sexual orientation, gender identity/expression, age, disability, genetic information, military service, covered/protected veteran status or any other federal, state or local protected class*(*US only).
We believe in an agile working culture for all our roles. If flexibility is important to you, we encourage you to explore with our hiring team what the opportunities are.
Please don't hesitate to contact us if you'd like to discuss any adjustments to our process which might help you demonstrate your strengths and capabilities.
As you apply, we will ask you to share some personal information which is entirely voluntary. We want to have an opportunity to consider a diverse pool of qualified candidates and this information will assist us in meeting that objective and in understanding how well we are doing against our inclusion and diversity ambitions. We would really appreciate it if you could take a few moments to complete it. Rest assured, Hiring Managers do not have access to this information and we will treat your information confidentially.
Important notice to Employment businesses/ Agencies
GSK does not accept referrals from employment businesses and/or employment agencies in respect of the vacancies posted on this site. All employment businesses/agencies are required to contact GSK's commercial and general procurement/human resources department to obtain prior written authorization before referring any candidates to GSK. The obtaining of prior written authorization is a condition precedent to any agreement (verbal or written) between the employment business/ agency and GSK. In the absence of such written authorization being obtained any actions undertaken by the employment business/agency shall be deemed to have been performed without the consent or contractual agreement of GSK. GSK shall therefore not be liable for any fees arising from such actions or any fees arising from any referrals by employment businesses/agencies in respect of the vacancies posted on this site.
Please note that if you are a US Licensed Healthcare Professional or Healthcare Professional as defined by the laws of the state issuing your license, GSK may be required to capture and report expenses GSK incurs, on your behalf, in the event you are afforded an interview for employment. This capture of applicable transfers of value is necessary to ensure GSK's compliance to all federal and state US Transparency requirements.