Programmer/Analyst, Open to flexible working
GlaxoSmithKline is one of the world's foremost pharmaceutical and healthcare companies, with statisticians and programmers working in Research and Development with a global footprint spanning the UK, US, Canada and India. The Biostatistics division includes a Clinical Programming department, covering all phases of clinical drug development and commercialisation in a wide range of therapeutic areas. Programming's deliverables form the core of all regulatory submissions, health authority assessments, safety updates and publications (for peer review journals and scientific meetings).
In recognition of the developing sophistication and technical requirements of the role, Clinical Programming was formed as a standalone department distinct to Clinical Statistics. Programming asset teams are now stepping up to achieve the goal of being the Biostatistics' leaders of delivery and execution, in a way that optimises, expedites and delivers to the highest quality. In addition to the group's activities supporting GSK's pipeline of drugs, key accountabilities include developing and implementing strategies for programming resourcing using both internal and external resource; driving CDISC implementation for the reporting of clinical trials; and identifying and implementing IT solutions to offer further benefit and efficiency for the group's activities.
The Clinical Programming team at GSK has a strong focus on innovative ways of working and we are leading the way to implement these innovations and embracing an evolution for increased data science skills; this is already resulting in the introduction of new programming languages, technology and software. Some of these initiatives include the pathway for adoption of R and Python open source coding into day to day programming tasks, exploring machine learning to drive efficiencies for clinical reporting, developing desktop visualisation capabilities and we even have an annual challenge for Programmers who are rewarded for bringing new innovations into the department. But it's not just about the tech! We also encourage involvement in other initiatives too and we focus on your personal development path, building your project and leadership skills, your inter-departmental liaison and collaboration skills and we provide you with opportunities to get closer to the science and decision making.
Within the clinical programming team Senior Programmers and Principal Programmers support, guide, or make a major contribution to the planning and execution of multiple programming activities for GSK clinical trials. They are accountable for creating, verifying, and documenting analyses of clinical data while adhering to study protocols, analysis plans and GSK / industry standards.
This role will provide YOU the opportunity to lead key activities to progress YOUR career. These responsibilities include some of the following:
- Demonstrate strong programming expertise, with the ability to execute a wide range of programming activities with minimal supervision
- Identify gaps in current programming best practices and may offer suggestions
- Understand the management of programs, including change control and their importance
- Ensure adherence to standards and has an awareness of evolving standards, both internal and external
- Keep an awareness of departmental strategies and initiatives
- Provide input to strategic planning, where requested and under supervision, which may be shared with stakeholders
- Informs supervisor and matrix leaders of appropriate progress and activities
- Oversee the work of contractors/placement students
We are looking for professionals with these required skills to achieve our goals:
- BS in mathematics, statistics, computer science (or related discipline)
- Experience with SAS and/or R programming
- Experience with programming language(s)
- Experience with oncology
- Support or validation programming experience
- Experience with writing and applying Metadata Specifications/Derivations
If you have the following characteristics, it would be a plus:
- Extensive working knowledge of GxP, ICH requirements, internal processes and external regulations that govern drug development (where applicable)
- Takes responsibility for oversight of others work as assigned by manager
- Demonstrated effectiveness in both oral and written communications, able to express ideas and incorporate feedback to produce a completed quality deliverable
- Able to explain technical approaches to peers and non-technical colleagues/settings
- Deliver presentations with clarity in internal forums and/or external professional industry meetings
- Experience with R and Tidyverse programming
Our values and expectations are at the heart of everything we do and form an important part of our culture.
These include Patient focus, Transparency, Respect, Integrity along with Courage, Accountability, Development, and Teamwork. As GSK focuses on our values and expectations and a culture of innovation, performance, and trust, the successful candidate will demonstrate the following capabilities:
- Operating at pace and agile decision-making - using evidence and applying judgement to balance pace, rigour and risk.
- Committed to delivering high quality results, overcoming challenges, focusing on what matters, execution.
- Continuously looking for opportunities to learn, build skills and share learning.
- Sustaining energy and well-being.
- Building strong relationships and collaboration, honest and open conversations.
- Budgeting and cost-consciousness.
As a company driven by our values of Patient focus, Transparency, Respect and Integrity, we know inclusion and diversity are essential for us to be able to succeed. We want all our colleagues to thrive at GSK bringing their unique experiences, ensuring they feel good and to keep growing their careers. As a candidate for a role, we want you to feel the same way.
As an Equal Opportunity Employer, we are open to all talent. In the US, we also adhere to Affirmative Action principles. This ensures that all qualified applicants will receive equal consideration for employment without regard to race/ethnicity, colour, national origin, religion, gender, pregnancy, marital status, sexual orientation, gender identity/expression, age, disability, genetic information, military service, covered/protected veteran status or any other federal, state or local protected class*(*US only).
We believe in an agile working culture for all our roles. If flexibility is important to you, we encourage you to explore with our hiring team what the opportunities are.
Please don't hesitate to contact us if you'd like to discuss any adjustments to our process which might help you demonstrate your strengths and capabilities.
As you apply, we will ask you to share some personal information which is entirely voluntary. We want to have an opportunity to consider a diverse pool of qualified candidates and this information will assist us in meeting that objective and in understanding how well we are doing against our inclusion and diversity ambitions. We would really appreciate it if you could take a few moments to complete it. Rest assured, Hiring Managers do not have access to this information and we will treat your information confidentially.
Important notice to Employment businesses/ Agencies
GSK does not accept referrals from employment businesses and/or employment agencies in respect of the vacancies posted on this site. All employment businesses/agencies are required to contact GSK's commercial and general procurement/human resources department to obtain prior written authorization before referring any candidates to GSK. The obtaining of prior written authorization is a condition precedent to any agreement (verbal or written) between the employment business/ agency and GSK. In the absence of such written authorization being obtained any actions undertaken by the employment business/agency shall be deemed to have been performed without the consent or contractual agreement of GSK. GSK shall therefore not be liable for any fees arising from such actions or any fees arising from any referrals by employment businesses/agencies in respect of the vacancies posted on this site.
Please note that if you are a US Licensed Healthcare Professional or Healthcare Professional as defined by the laws of the state issuing your license, GSK may be required to capture and report expenses GSK incurs, on your behalf, in the event you are afforded an interview for employment. This capture of applicable transfers of value is necessary to ensure GSK's compliance to all federal and state US Transparency requirements.