Corporate Finance Sector Analyst & Operations - Consumer, Open to flexible working
Join us and you’ll shape more than just your career
Job Description Summary:
This is a fantastic opportunity for a driven individual with an experienced and diverse background in corporate research, market research or business development. You will be working in our corporate finance team providing support for our consumer (primarily food & beverage and online retail) focused transaction execution team. You will play a pivotal role in the delivery of client work providing research for pitches and proposals. You will also be client facing and liaise with targets and intermediaries as well as having responsibility for the operational effectiveness of the team, overseeing marketing, thought leadership and targeting initiatives alongside your marketing and business development colleagues. Key to this role is the ability raise the profile of the team (and Grant Thornton).
Let’s talk about the job
If you enjoy working on a wide-reaching range of projects that will help businesses and communities flourish, you’ll fit right in. Here are some things you can expect from this role.
- Making quality second nature. This means doing what’s right even when no one’s looking. The work that you will do has a major impact on our clients and our firm. We pride ourselves on the high-level standards we have for the work that we do.
- Own your own work. Consumer sector analyst and operations is a key role in the corporate finance sector team, providing direction and drive. Specific responsibilities include providing support and high-quality analysis for pitches, proposals and the generation of new work, identifying and acting on commercial opportunities, overseeing thought leadership, maintaining sector knowledge management and raising the profile of the team both internally and externally. You will help the team win new business through value-added research and sector insight, with a particular focus on identifying strategic buyers and acquisition targets for clients.
- Be a part of a team. You will be part of a sector analyst team of four (with your colleagues covering healthcare, business support services and TMT) and reporting into the head sector analyst. You will also be working closely with your team of consumer sector focused corporate financiers. Key to this role is the ability to work closely with your sector team and pivotally, with the Partner and Director who head up the sector. To be effective in this role you will need to influence both Partners and Directors as well as your peers.
- Take responsibility. In this role you will develop a strong knowledge of the consumer sector, be confident in client-facing situations and also have an understanding of the importance of knowledge management, business development, marketing and events. You will need to be able to pull all these strands together for the sector team in collaboration with your marketing and business development colleagues.
- Build your brand. This role works with the sector head /directors to set the strategy for the sector. As such we will be looking for strong communication and organisational skills and an ability to get the job done. This is an opportunity to help drive the profile and strategy of the sector team, thus directly contributing to the growth and success of the team.
The minimum criteria
- Educated to degree level or equivalent
- Experience gained within a corporate finance, mergers & acquisitions or similar environment
- Good business analysis experience
- Excellent commercial awareness and ability to be involved in client-facing activities
Skills to set you apart
Here are a few more skills we are looking for. Don’t worry if you don’t tick every box. It’s important for us to support you in your role and help you to develop along the way.
- Have a keen interest in the consumer sector
- Have tenacity, resilience and a capability to drive projects through to completion
- Strong intrapersonal skills
- Existing knowledge of mergers and acquisitions research tools (Bureau Van Dijk, Mergermarket, CapIQ, Nexis)
It is worth noting that this is not a transaction execution role, but a key operational and analytical role working closely with the deal execution team.
Do you care about the same things we do?
We have six values we work by. When we meet, we’ll want you to show us how they’re important to you, too.
Collaboration: We work together, share ideas and always make time to help each other out.
Leadership: Everyone has the chance to lead their own projects.
Excellence: Quality is central to our purpose. We love what we do, and it shows. We sweat the details. We see things through, no matter how tricky.
Agility: The world moves quickly. To keep up, we stay flexible – changing approaches, changing projects, working offline, online, together and alone to get things done.
Respect: A given, of course: we value each other and our clients. We listen, we understand, we care.
Responsibility: The decisions we make and advice we give affects people’s lives and livelihoods. We take that seriously and always do well by doing what’s right.
Share ideas and profits
Unlike most firms, we’re also a shared enterprise. So when the firm does well, everyone does well by taking home a share of the profits. Of course, to get those profits, we need to share ideas and share responsibility for our work, too.
Bring your whole self
Now you’ve seen our values, it shouldn’t be a surprise that we’re creating a respectful, open, diverse place to work. Building an inclusive culture, where we value difference and respect our colleagues, is not just the right thing to do, it helps our people to perform at the best of their ability and realise their potential.
“We are committed to making sure that the opportunities within our firm are equally accessible for everyone – regardless of background or gender.” Dave Dunckley, CEO
There’s more to life than work
Families, children, sports, night classes…the things you do and the people you’re with outside work matter. They can inspire, motivate and energise you. Inside the office and out. So if you’d like to work flexibly, let us know. We’re happy to look at flexible working options for all our roles, and we’ll always do our best to keep your work and life in balance.
For further details and to submit your application please click 'Apply'.