External Ventures Lead (Senior Manager), Deloitte Ventures, Enabling Functions
Deloitte Ventures was conceived to find new ways to solve our client’s most urgent business challenges using emerging technologies.
The External Ventures team is responsible for driving startup collaboration within Deloitte and with our Clients. Our belief is that collaborating in this way can unlock significant benefits both for larger enterprises and for startups, including access to technology, talent and new market opportunities. We recognise that corporate-startup collaboration can be hard and we exist as a team to improve the way we partner with startups, to maximise our ability to solve pressing problems and achieve commercial success at scale.
We are proud to offer flexible working arrangements which allow our people to choose the most suitable working arrangement that works for them. Whether this is working 4 days per week, taking the summer months off work, or more flexibility around your working pattern, we consider both formal and informal working arrangements that allow our people and our clients the best outcome.
If you would like to hear more about our flexible working arrangements, please let us know.
Are you looking to return to the workplace after an extended career break?
For this role we can offer coaching and support designed for returners to refresh your knowledge and skills, and help your transition back into the workplace after a career break of 2 years or more. If this is relevant for you, just let your recruiter know when you make your application.
The External Ventures Lead will be responsible for leading and developing an External Ventures team that has a reputation for being THE place through which Deloitte engages and works with startups.
Key responsibilities will include:
- Define team vision and OKRs, and successfully drive progress against these objectives on a daily basis to enable the team’s next phase of growth.
- Manage and coach members of the External Ventures team, empowering them to develop and achieve exceptional results.
- Drive the External Ventures pipeline of startup collaboration opportunities, enabling the team to identify and execute partnership opportunities.
- Lead diligence activity on key partnership opportunities with early stage startups, including commercial, financial and legal diligence.
- Develop new External Ventures assets and propositions, to build capability across our end-to-end partnership process and support startup collaboration at scale across Deloitte.
- Leverage internal and external network to identify new opportunities to collaborate with startups across Deloitte teams and our Clients. Foster collaboration through building and owning relationships with senior stakeholders across NSE.
- Engage with clients to provide SME input on corporate venture and startup collaboration, for example through direct engagement or supporting bid development.
- Work effectively in diverse teams within an inclusive team culture where people are recognised for their contribution
Your work, your choice
At Deloitte we believe the best impact is the value we add, not the hours we sit at our desk. We carefully consider agile ways of working, both formal and informal, that allow for the best impact for our people and our clients. Please speak to your recruiter about the working pattern that works best for you.
Location: London with occasional domestic and international travel.
Work pattern: This is a permanent contract opportunity. The role can be worked on a full-time basis, however our team members work a variety of agile working patterns. Tell us what arrangement works for you and we’ll try to accommodate.
Your professional experience
- Significant experience in corporate venturing or venture capital, with evidence of strong venture skill-set.
- Demonstrated people and team leadership abilities, with experience in managing and developing multiple team members to achieve excellent results.
- Demonstrated ability to leverage an advanced corporate venturing skill-set to drive startup collaboration within larger enterprises.
- Previous experience in consulting, across both strategic design and implementation.
- Ability to effectively communicate with different types of stakeholders (experts, non-experts, senior stakeholders, multidisciplinary teams)
- Problem solver – able to solve ambiguous problems, in a structured and logical way
- Leadership – able to lead effectively, defining team vision and objectives, as well as developing and empowering team members to achieve results.
- Proactive – self-motivated to own and solve complex business challenges
- Commercial acumen – a good understanding of enterprise startup landscape, with expertise in specific sectors, technologies or business models.
- Passionate about startup ecosystem and unlocking opportunities for corporates and startups to collaborate effectively.
- Extensive network in venture ecosystem.
Your service line: Enabling Functions
At Deloitte, we’re all about making an impact that matters, together. And nowhere is this more apparent than among our 2,000 strong Enabling Functions teams. With our combined specialist skills and business partnering expertise, we provide all the essential strategy, support and advice our client-facing colleagues need, right across the firm. This enables them to focus all of their efforts on delivering the best service possible to their clients. So not only will you be providing world-class support to our internal clients, you’ll be making an impact for all the hugely influential organisations Deloitte works with too. Covering all our distinct areas: Human Resources, Clients & Industries, Finance & Legal, Central Business Services, National Quality & Risk Management, Technology & Digital Services, and Real Estate, the opportunities here are vast. And what’s more, you can grow your career in whatever direction you choose. We’ll support you all the way.
Deloitte Ventures co-creates and co-invests with leading corporations to build new partnerships, platforms and products. The team pairs disruptive technologies and emerging start-ups with Deloitte's advisory heritage to solve pressing problems and achieve commercial success at scale.
Regulation and controls are standard practice in our industry and Deloitte is no exception. These controls provide important legal protection for both you and the firm. We are subject to a number of audit regulations, one of which requires that certain colleagues abide by specific personal independence constraints. This can mean that you and your "Immediate Family Members" are not permitted to hold certain financial interests (shares, funds, bonds etc.) with audit clients of the firm. The recruitment team will provide further detail as you progress through the recruitment process.
Our Purpose & Strategy
To make an impact that matters for our clients, our people and society - defines who we are and what we stand for. Our purpose provides the foundation for our strategy and our aspiration to be the undisputed leader in professional services: this is not about size, it's about being the first choice. The first choice for the largest and most influential clients, and the first choice for the best talent.
What do we do?
Deloitte offers global integrated professional services that include Audit & Assurance, Consulting, Financial Advisory, Legal, Risk Advisory and Tax Consulting. Our approach combines intellectual leadership, industrial expertise, insight, consulting & problem solving capabilities whatever the role, technology revolutions and innovation from multiple disciplines to help our clients excel anywhere in the world.
Beyond the UK: Deloitte North and South Europe
The UK is part of Deloitte North and South Europe (NSE), the second largest member firm in the Deloitte network. Deloitte NSE combines operations in Belgium, Central Mediterranean (Italy, Greece, Malta), Ireland, the Middle East (Bahrain, Cyprus, Egypt, Iraq, Jordan, Kuwait, Lebanon, Libya, Oman, Palestinian Ruled Territories, Qatar, Saudi Arabia, United Arab Emirates, Yemen), the Netherlands, the Nordics (Denmark, Finland, Iceland, Norway and Sweden), Switzerland and the UK. Deloitte NSE brings together 2,700 partners and over 50,000 people, combining our unmatched breadth and depth of capabilities in audit and assurance, consulting, financial advisory, risk advisory, and tax and legal across the region. Being part of Deloitte NSE supports our aspiration to be the undisputed leader in professional services and will create more opportunity and growth for our people.
What do we value?
What brings us all together at Deloitte? It’s how we approach the thousands of decisions we make every day. How we behave, our beliefs and our attitudes. In other words: our values. Whatever we do, wherever we are in the world, we lead the way, serve with integrity, take care of each other, foster inclusion, and collaborate for maximum impact. These five shared values lead every decision we make and action we take, guiding us to deliver impact how and where it matters most.
Being a Leader at Deloitte
Cultural fit and purpose-led leadership is crucial for Deloitte. Our leaders always set the example and inspire their colleagues. They make quality time for people and take an interest in them. They know what matters to people - both inside and outside work – and value them as individuals; always finding opportunities to develop them while showing respect and appreciation.
We expect colleagues at all levels to embrace and live our purpose and our leadership culture by challenging themselves to identify issues that are most important for our clients, our people, and for society and make an impact that matters. We know leadership comes in all shapes and sizes, but our Leadership Charter helps all of our people understand what we’re looking for:
- We live our purpose: we act as a role model, embracing and living our purpose and values, and recognising others for the impact they make
- We develop talent: we develop high-performing people and teams through challenging and meaningful opportunities
- We drive performance: we deliver exceptional client service; maximise results and drive high performance from people while fostering collaboration across businesses and borders
- We believe positive influence can make an impact that matters: we influence clients, teams, and individuals positively, leading by example and establishing confident relationships with increasingly senior people
- We move, together, towards a strategic direction: we understand key objectives for clients and Deloitte, aligning people to objectives and setting priorities and direction.
Deloitte LLP is a limited liability partnership registered in England and Wales with registered number OC303675 and its registered office at 1 New Street Square, London EC4A 3HQ, United Kingdom.
Deloitte LLP is the United Kingdom affiliate of Deloitte NSE LLP, a member firm of Deloitte Touche Tohmatsu Limited, a UK private company limited by guarantee ("DTTL"). DTTL and each of its member firms are legally separate and independent entities. DTTL and Deloitte NSE LLP do not provide services to clients. Please see www.deloitte.com/about to learn more about our global network of member firms.
© 2020 Deloitte LLP. All rights reserved.
Requisition code: 180399