Senior Product Manager, Open to flexible working
Do more, feel better, live longer. GlaxoSmithKline's motto, what does that mean to you? We're an equal opportunity employer. We celebrate diversity and are committed to creating an inclusive environment for all employees.
Our open and transparent message to you
We're a new (ish) team of passionate thinkers and makers, 25 strong and 2 years old at the time of writing this, based out of a budding tech hub in Kings Cross. We're embarking on a journey of discovery within the pharmaceutical and healthcare industry and we're here to challenge the status quo within the industry and within GSK itself. There are problems a-plenty and we need passionate, low ego, eager to learn people to make meaningful technology and experiences with us.
About The Role:
We empower our product teams to solve hard problems - customer problems and business problems - in ways that our customers love, yet work for our business. Our product teams are cross-functional and durable, generally comprised of a product manager, a product designer, and several engineers.
We staff our product teams with the skills necessary to come up with effective solutions that are valuable (our customers choose to buy or use), viable (the solution works within the many constraints of the business), usable (the user can figure out how to use) and feasible (our engineers have the skills and technology to implement).
The product manager must contribute to his/her product team a solid knowledge of the various constraints of the business - constraints from marketing, sales, service, finance, legal, and privacy are typical examples. The product manager must also contribute to the product team a deep knowledge of our users and customers, and the data about how our customers engage with our products. Finally, the product manager is expected to track industry trends and the competitive landscape as they pertain to their product.
While each member of the product team may be accountable for a specific risk, we look for product managers that understand that consistent innovation is the result of each member of the product team contributing their passion and their ideas. The product manager must collaborate closely with product designers and engineers to discover effective solutions, and then work together to deliver those solutions to market.
While we empower our product teams to figure out the best solutions to the problems that need to be solved, we also hold those teams accountable to the results. Shipping is necessary, but not sufficient. We look for product managers that are not afraid of signing up for results, even when this means they have to work through others to achieve the necessary results.
This job, as with the other roles on the product team, is an individual contributor role. You will need to be able to influence your teammates, as well as colleagues, stakeholders, and key executives, through your use of data and logic.
We know that innovation thrives on product teams where diverse points of view come together to solve hard problems in ways that are just now possible. As such, we explicitly seek people that bring diverse life experiences, diverse educational backgrounds, diverse cultures, and diverse work experiences. Please be prepared to share with us how your perspective will bring something unique and valuable to our product teams.
Who/what we're looking for...
- Bachelor's degree or equivalent practical experience.
- Subject Matter Expertise & Credibility: experience working on technology-powered products as either a product manager, product designer, engineer, data analyst, data scientist or user researcher. Demonstrated understanding of the techniques and methods of modern product discovery and product delivery.
- Understanding risks and trade offs: Demonstrated ability to figure out solutions to hard problems with many constraints, using sound judgement to assess risks, and to lay out your argument in a well-structured, data-informed, written narrative.
- Intellectually curious: Able to learn quickly, assimilating new information and synthesising viewpoints/hypotheses. Able to become proficient in new areas in weeks, not months. Demonstrated ability to learn multiple functional areas of business - engineering, design, finance, sales, or marketing.
- Emotional Intelligence: High EQ and empathy for both our external customers (i.e., Patients & Healthcare Professionals) and internal customers (senior stakeholders, cross-functional collaborators). Excited to bring people on the journey with them.
- Data-Driven Decision Making: Able to evidence their decisions in sound qualitative and/or quantitative analysis and logic.
- Excellence in Communication: Able to communicate well and articulate the 'why' behind their decision, whether to senior stakeholders or team-mates.
- Bias to Action: Pragmatic, resourceful and acts without waiting to be told what to do. An obsessive problem-solver who isn't afraid to ' get out of the building' and engage with customers to uncover their own insights.
- Humility & Courage: Someone with low-ego and high-humility who isn't afraid to defend people and ideas that they believe to be right, and to challenge one's that aren't. Someone who understands that: ' people don't compete with people, ideas compete with ideas.'
- Culture Contributor: Enthusiastic contributor to the cultural fabric of our team, lives to see the team succeed together and proactively brings new ideas to the table. Proven ability to engage with engineers, designers, and company leaders in a constructive and collaborative relationship.
About the role
- Responsible for our Product culture in your individual squad(s), working with the Director, helping to create clear and cohesive visions for our digital solutions.
- Drive successful delivery of a digital accompaniment for our new drug launches. From conception to adoption, you'll use data-informed metrics to determine how people experience this product.
- Build relationships with the wider GSK business, collaborating closely with researchers and subject matter experts to build your own domain knowledge.
- Partner effectively with our other cross-functional teams and spearhead the teams to guide products from conception to launch by connecting the technical and business worlds.
- Break down complex problems into steps that drive product development and bring your stakeholders/team along the journey.
- Help to craft prioritised opportunity roadmaps - linked to problems to be solved and in turn business outcomes.
- Help your team create hypotheses, you'll delight in experimentation. Testing assumptions and validating solutions through a mix of lean design sprints, workshops and dual track agile.
- Work very closely with your Engineering Lead counterpart, overseeing autonomous cross-functional squads, helping to define and independently ship functionality to tackle user problems.
Interested in Joining the Team?
Please apply via our online portal providing your CV and Cover Letter.
Please ensure you apply before the 30th January 2021 to ensure you're in the running!
(Please take a personal copy of the Job Description, as this will not be available online post closure of the advert)
As a company driven by our values of Patient focus, Transparency, Respect and Integrity, we know inclusion and diversity are essential for us to be able to succeed. We want all our colleagues to thrive at GSK bringing their unique experiences, ensuring they feel good and to keep growing their careers. As a candidate for a role, we want you to feel the same way.
As an Equal Opportunity Employer, we are open to all talent. In the US, we also adhere to Affirmative Action principles. This ensures that all qualified applicants will receive equal consideration for employment without regard to race/ethnicity, colour, national origin, religion, gender, pregnancy, marital status, sexual orientation, gender identity/expression, age, disability, genetic information, military service, covered/protected veteran status or any other federal, state or local protected class*(*US only).
We believe in an agile working culture for all our roles. If flexibility is important to you, we encourage you to explore with our hiring team what the opportunities are.
Please don't hesitate to contact us if you'd like to discuss any adjustments to our process which might help you demonstrate your strengths and capabilities.
As you apply, we will ask you to share some personal information which is entirely voluntary. We want to have an opportunity to consider a diverse pool of qualified candidates and this information will assist us in meeting that objective and in understanding how well we are doing against our inclusion and diversity ambitions. We would really appreciate it if you could take a few moments to complete it. Rest assured, Hiring Managers do not have access to this information and we will treat your information confidentially.
Important notice to Employment businesses/ Agencies
GSK does not accept referrals from employment businesses and/or employment agencies in respect of the vacancies posted on this site. All employment businesses/agencies are required to contact GSK's commercial and general procurement/human resources department to obtain prior written authorization before referring any candidates to GSK. The obtaining of prior written authorization is a condition precedent to any agreement (verbal or written) between the employment business/ agency and GSK. In the absence of such written authorization being obtained any actions undertaken by the employment business/agency shall be deemed to have been performed without the consent or contractual agreement of GSK. GSK shall therefore not be liable for any fees arising from such actions or any fees arising from any referrals by employment businesses/agencies in respect of the vacancies posted on this site.
Please note that if you are a US Licensed Healthcare Professional or Healthcare Professional as defined by the laws of the state issuing your license, GSK may be required to capture and report expenses GSK incurs, on your behalf, in the event you are afforded an interview for employment. This capture of applicable transfers of value is necessary to ensure GSK's compliance to all federal and state US Transparency requirements.