Senior Consultant - Apache Kafka, Integration Services, Systems Engineering - flexible working
Want to lead from the front in the exciting world of business transformation, enabled by Integration technologies?
Deloitte Integration Services focuses on enabling clients to overcome complex systems integration challenges when delivering business driven, technology – enabled change across their organisation. Our specialists help clients in designing and implementing fully integrated solutions across an organisation and with its external partners, suppliers, and customers. Our end-to-end solutions encompass business process, people, technology and data; and focus on customers, quality, governance and control. We cover all aspects of systems integration including digital solutions, package integration, custom development and infrastructure.
Want to work with the latest technologies, as part of a team helping international organisations transform their core business capabilities? Whether you’re working with on-premise systems, Cloud technology, or custom-developed solutions (to name just a few), your expertise will help clients deliver continuous improvement and innovation, from initial design right through to implementation and optimization.
As Apache Kafka Engineer, you will have broad remit of responsibilities, working with customers to deliver innovative integration solutions. Deloitte delivery leads have a highly collaborative and client-facing role, covering the delivery lifecycle and working closely with agile delivery teams to ensure services provided meet the needs of the clients. You will apply your understanding of event based architectures, messaging and stream processing solutions, cloud solutions and wider integration architectures to produce solutions and improved ways of working for clients, who are wishing to harness the power of Integration technologies to solve complex business problems across one or more of the following industries:
- Financial Services
- Private Sector
- Public Sector
- Consumer Business
- Energy and Utilities
- Healthcare and Life Sciences
- Telecoms, Media & Technology (TMT)
As Apache Kafka Engineer, you will be responsible for:
- Developing messaging and stream processing solutions that meet business requirements
- Working effectively in diverse teams within an inclusive team culture where people are recognised for their contribution
- Working closely with multiple stakeholders across the project lifecycle, including:
- Liaising with Business Analysts to understand business requirements and with Solution Architects on functional and technical designs
- Supporting the Delivery Lead / Project Manager with scoping and estimation of development efforts
- Working collaboratively with test teams during the Product test and UAT phases to fix assigned bugs
- Articulating best practices to optimize the Kafka ecosystem based on use-case and workload
- Designing, developing, configuring, administering and troubleshooting Kafka APIs to build producer and consumer applications
- Developing KSQL queries and leveraging best practices of using KSQL vs streams
- Working independently with limited support, while aligned to weekly and daily agile governance (Kanban, sprints, ceremonies, reporting)
- Coaching, motivating and mentoring internal teams
Your work, your choice
At Deloitte we believe the best impact is the value we add, not the hours we sit at our desk. We carefully consider agile ways of working, both formal and informal, that allow for the best impact for our people and our clients. Please speak to your recruiter about the working pattern that works best for you.
You will be based in a Deloitte London office, however travel will be required for client based projects. Whilst some clients are London based, we do spend time on site with regional and international clients. We specify full mobility for our consulting roles but we make arrangements respectfully, there may be some opportunity for working from home depending on client demands.
This is a Permanent full-time contract opportunity.
Your professional experience
- Considerable experience with messaging and stream processing on Kafka
- Considerable experience in Kafka architecture and internals of how it works, along with the interplay of architectural components brokers, Zookeeper, producersconsumers, Kafka Connect, Kafka Streams
- Practical experience with how to scale Kafka, KStreams, and Connector infrastructures
- Understanding of Kafka administration, configuration, and troubleshooting
- Experience in working with event based architectures
- Working knowledge in multiple Integration and cloud technologies (Mulesoft, Dell boomi, Amazon web services, Microsoft Azure etc.)
- Experience in leading technical workshops with the client
- Good Understanding of broad set of market leading technologies
- Good understanding of the different Integration vendors and technologies, and key differences between these
The following will be an added advantage:
- Consultancy experience
- A relevant Kafka certification (Confluent Certified Developer for Apache Kafka (CCDAK))
- A relevant cloud AWS, Azure or GCP certification
- Experience in DevOps
- Experience in Agile delivery and agile techniques, such as Scrum and Kanban.
Additionally, we expect that you possess the following core consulting skills:
- Comfortable leading technical conversations with clients at all levels, ideally including C-suite
- A strong focus on team working within diverse and remotely located teams
- A "can do" attitude - Hands-on & flexible approach to emerging requirements and a real willingness to learn and participate
- Excellent communication and stakeholder management skills, with the ability to articulate complex ideas to different audiences within an organisation, and effectively engage with stakeholders ranging from subject matter experts to senior functional leads
- Strong documentation ability and excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Able to proactively identify risks and issues and provide mitigation approaches
- Enthusiasm and passion for the delivery of market leading solutions that make a difference
- Professional working proficiency in the English language
- Understanding and awareness of the commercial and reputational risks Deloitte may encounter and the appropriate mitigations
Your service line: Consulting
Our people and the way we work are the two things that set us apart in the consulting universe. For us, collaboration is fundamental to success, along with an unrivalled depth and breadth of expertise. We work closely with our clients and each other, at every stage of every project, solving our clients’ trickiest problems with a mix of knowledge, creativity and intellectual rigour. A hugely diverse range of clients rely on us to deliver the kind of change that adds genuine, lasting value to their business.
Regulation and controls are standard practice in our industry and Deloitte is no exception. These controls provide important legal protection for both you and the firm. We are subject to a number of audit regulations, one of which requires that certain colleagues abide by specific personal independence constraints. This can mean that you and your "Immediate Family Members" are not permitted to hold certain financial interests (shares, funds, bonds etc.) with audit clients of the firm. The recruitment team will provide further detail as you progress through the recruitment process.
Our Purpose & Strategy
To make an impact that matters for our clients, our people and society - defines who we are and what we stand for. Our purpose provides the foundation for our strategy and our aspiration to be the undisputed leader in professional services: this is not about size, it's about being the first choice. The first choice for the most influential clients, and the first choice for the best talent.
What do we do?
Deloitte offers global integrated professional services that include Audit & Assurance, Consulting, Financial Advisory, Legal, Risk Advisory and Tax Consulting. Our approach combines intellectual leadership, industrial expertise, insight, consulting & problem solving capabilities whatever the role, technology revolutions and innovation from multiple disciplines to help our clients excel anywhere in the world.
Beyond the UK: Deloitte North and South Europe
The UK is part of Deloitte North and South Europe (NSE), the second largest member firm in the Deloitte network. Deloitte NSE combines operations in Belgium, Central Mediterranean (Italy, Greece, Malta), Ireland, the Middle East (Bahrain, Cyprus, Egypt, Iraq, Jordan, Kuwait, Lebanon, Libya, Oman, Palestinian Ruled Territories, Qatar, Saudi Arabia, United Arab Emirates, Yemen), the Netherlands, the Nordics (Denmark, Finland, Iceland, Norway and Sweden), Switzerland and the UK. Deloitte NSE brings together 2,700 partners and over 50,000 people, combining our unmatched breadth and depth of capabilities in audit and assurance, consulting, financial advisory, risk advisory, and tax and legal across the region. Being part of Deloitte NSE supports our aspiration to be the undisputed leader in professional services and will create more opportunity and growth for our people.
What do we value?
What brings us all together at Deloitte? It’s how we approach the thousands of decisions we make every day. How we behave, our beliefs and our attitudes. In other words: our values. Whatever we do, wherever we are in the world, we lead the way, serve with integrity, take care of each other, foster inclusion, and collaborate for maximum impact. These five shared values lead every decision we make and action we take, guiding us to deliver impact how and where it matters most.
Being a Leader at Deloitte
Cultural fit and purpose-led leadership is crucial for Deloitte. Our leaders always set the example and inspire their colleagues. They make quality time for people and take an interest in them. They know what matters to people - both inside and outside work – and value them as individuals; always finding opportunities to develop them while showing respect and appreciation.
We expect colleagues at all levels to embrace and live our purpose and our leadership culture by challenging themselves to identify issues that are most important for our clients, our people, and for society and make an impact that matters. We know leadership comes in all shapes and sizes, but our Leadership Charter helps all of our people understand what we’re looking for:
- We live our purpose: we act as a role model, embracing and living our purpose and values, and recognising others for the impact they make
- We develop talent: we develop high-performing people and teams through challenging and meaningful opportunities
- We drive performance: we deliver exceptional client service; maximise results and drive high performance from people while fostering collaboration across businesses and borders
- We believe positive influence can make an impact that matters: we influence clients, teams, and individuals positively, leading by example and establishing confident relationships with increasingly senior people
- We move, together, towards a strategic direction: we understand key objectives for clients and Deloitte, aligning people to objectives and setting priorities and direction.
Deloitte LLP is a limited liability partnership registered in England and Wales with registered number OC303675 and its registered office at 1 New Street Square, London EC4A 3HQ, United Kingdom.
Deloitte LLP is the United Kingdom affiliate of Deloitte NSE LLP, a member firm of Deloitte Touche Tohmatsu Limited, a UK private company limited by guarantee ("DTTL"). DTTL and each of its member firms are legally separate and independent entities. DTTL and Deloitte NSE LLP do not provide services to clients. Please see www.deloitte.com/about to learn more about our global network of member firms.
© 2020 Deloitte LLP. All rights reserved.
Requisition code: 180434