Payroll Associate, Open to flexible working
We believe we’re best positioned to make a meaningful impact on the economy. Every day, we provide a diverse range of organisations with the kind of business and financial advice it takes to do this. Our ideas and insights empower our clients to make big decisions about the future and unlock sustainable growth. With a relentless focus on quality and integrity, we help businesses, communities and our people to flourish.
Let’s talk about the job
If you enjoy working on a wide-reaching range of projects that will help businesses and communities flourish, you’ll fit right in. Here are some things you can expect from this Payroll Associate role.
- Making quality second nature. This means doing what’s right even when no one’s looking. The work that you will do has a major impact on our clients and our firm. We pride ourselves on the high-level standards we have for the work that we do.
- Own your own work. You will ensure your portfolio of client payrolls and electronic bank payments are processed accurately and on time. You will have solid payroll technical knowledge allowing you to proactively prepare payrolls from start to finish.
- Be a part of a team. You will be working with a team of 14 likeminded payroll professionals. As part of the Payroll team you will ensure all client work is carried out accurately, profitably and on a timely basis in accordance with the firm's professional standards and to the satisfaction of clients and engagement partners.
- Take responsibility. You will have a busy and varied role. The key elements of the role will include:
- Prepare approx. 35 medium to high complexity monthly payrolls ranging from 1 to 700 employees from start to finish to a high level of accuracy and meeting strict client deadlines
- Always provide a high level of client service
- Keep up to date with payroll technical knowledge
- Responsible for maintaining strong, approachable relationships with clients.
- Proactively responding to client and internal enquiries
- Assist peers with processing payrolls as and when required
- Knowledge of employer costs and journal postings
- Have an understanding of year end process and deadlines
- Ability to assist with Real Time Information submission and electronic payments
- Onboarding new clients including take on, Letters of Engagement and general compliance
- Assisting with on-going projects
- Ensuring client invoices are raised in a timely manner
- Build your brand. You will actively seek opportunities to attend training courses to develop technical and personal skills to enhance your own personal brand. You will be working effectively with all members of the team, building the confidence and respect of peers and subordinates.
The minimum criteria
- Experience of working in a payroll team with a demonstrable understanding of the end to end process and legislation
Skills to set you apart
Here are a few more skills we are looking for:
- Experience of outsourced payroll in a bureau environment
- Good payroll technical knowledge
- Intermediate level excel skills
- Ability to work to tight deadlines and flexible in approach
- Excellent communication skills (verbal and written)
- Strong problem solving skills
- Wants to be part of a growing service line within Grant Thornton
- High attention to details
- CIPP qualification or equivalent (desirable but not essential)
Do you care about the same things we do?
We have six values we work by. When we meet, we’ll want you to show us how they’re important to you, too.
Collaboration: We work together, share ideas and always make time to help each other out.
Leadership: Everyone has the chance to lead their own projects.
Excellence: Quality is central to our purpose. We love what we do, and it shows. We sweat the details. We see things through, no matter how tricky.
Agility: The world moves quickly. To keep up, we stay flexible – changing approaches, changing projects, working offline, online, together and alone to get things done.
Respect: A given, of course: we value each other and our clients. We listen, we understand, we care.
Responsibility: The decisions we make and advice we give affects people’s lives and livelihoods. We take that seriously and always do well by doing what’s right.
Share ideas and profits
Unlike most firms, we’re also a shared enterprise. So when the firm does well, everyone does well by taking home a share of the profits. Of course, to get those profits, we need to share ideas and share responsibility for our work, too.
Bring your whole self
Now you’ve seen our values, it shouldn’t be a surprise that we’re creating a respectful, open, diverse place to work. Building an inclusive culture, where we value difference and respect our colleagues, is not just the right thing to do, it helps our people to perform at the best of their ability and realise their potential.
“We are committed to making sure that the opportunities within our firm are equally accessible for everyone – regardless of background or gender.” Dave Dunckley, CEO
There’s more to life than work
Families, children, sports, night classes…the things you do and the people you’re with outside work matter. They can inspire, motivate and energise you. Inside the office and out. So if you’d like to work flexibly, let us know. We’re happy to look at flexible working options for all our roles, and we’ll always do our best to keep your work and life in balance.
For further information and to submit your application please click 'Apply'.