Global Demographic and Diversity Lead, Open to flexible working
Significant health disparities persist across different demographic groups evidence by worse incidence rates or outcomes in many chronic or communicable diseases. In this context, we also see the proportion of women, elderly, pediatric and racial/ethnic minorities included in industry-sponsored trials not reflective of the prevalence of disease in the underlying population. Despite an increased focus on opportunities in this area, industry still fails in highlighting differences in drug metabolism, variability in responses and safety amongst different clinical trial subpopulations. Ignoring diversity in a population is a missed scientific opportunity to fully understand the factors that lead to disease, health and differential treatment responses.
As the Global Demographic & Diversity Lead supported by the matrix team, you will leverage existing internal resources, programs and partnerships to shape, drive forward and execute the clinical recruitment strategy for improving the diversity of patients included in clinical trials.
Key attributes include demonstrated ability to input to and influence studies/projects through operational expertise and demonstrated excellence in stakeholder management. This job requires strategic thinking, solution-finding, and agility as evidenced by flexibility, adaptability to change, curiosity, and ability to lead and drive change.
Essential behaviours valued include: Continuous improvement and learning, effectiveness at building networks of partners and stakeholders, and ability to lead and inspire others. A track record of applying experience and judgement towards project decision-making, effective peer review, and shared learning is essential.
This position may contribute to individual studies in addition to project level activities, as appropriate, including contribution for feasibility and enrolment of multiple studies, programs, or groups of programs from multiple therapy areas.
Key responsibilities include:
- Identify public data, licensed systems for population insights, disease distribution based on demographics
- Integrate analytic capabilities to drive informed, sharpened site selection
- Develop clinical trial recruitment and diversity forecasts for the assigned therapeutic areas, based upon sound assumptions and present recommendations to stakeholders within the R&D organization. Global forecasting may also be required.
- Proactively and continuously assess the relevant data and its dynamics. Provide unbiased perspective on likely performance
- Conduct ongoing analysis of secondary data sources to derive insights
- Develop research strategies to ensure internal understanding and adaptation of generated insights.
- Develop and implement research and analytic plans in collaboration with internal cross-functional teams
- Manage all aspects of I&A across Global Demographic & Diversity and gain deep understanding of insights across R&D portfolio
- Develop analytical tools, and work across boundaries with internal and external vendors
- Holdall 3rd party vendors accountable to deliver strategic business insights and most importantly, work in a compliant manner.
- Seek alternative and creative ways of meeting an information need, considering new techniques to address business challenges.
We are looking for professionals with these required skills to achieve our goals:
- Advanced Degree- Masters in Health or Business
- 15 years of experience within the pharmaceutical industry in data analytics
If you have the following characteristics, it would be a plus:
- Ph.D. in health or business
- Broad understanding of the pharmaceutical industry and the clinical development process.
- In depth knowledge of either study management or data management and knowledge of essential regulatory guidelines worldwide and GSK company policies.
- Ability to establish and build internal and external relationships at all levels in a highly dynamic and matrixed environment.
Highly developed communication skills appropriate to the target audience, promoting effective decision-making where necessary
- Excellent influencing and negotiation skills.
- Genuine interest, understanding and motivation to address the multifaceted challenge of Clinical Trial Diversity
- Proven inspirational and entrepreneurial leadership in a matrix environment.
- Empathic and credible leader with strategic thinking and excellent communication skills • Influencing and networking skills with the ability to navigate complex enterprises and manage multiple senior stakeholders
- Direct experience working with external diversity focused organizations and working groups such as patient organizations, academic institutions, regulatory working groups, consortia will be valued.
- Experience with patient and community based organizations
- Knowledge of outreach strategy
- Experience with study teams
- Experience in real world data and claims databases
- Ability to showcase communication skills, negotiation and influencing skills
Our values and expectations are at the heart of everything we do and form an important part of our culture.
These include Patient focus, Transparency, Respect, Integrity along with Courage, Accountability, Development, and Teamwork. As GSK focuses on our values and expectations and a culture of innovation, performance, and trust, the successful candidate will demonstrate the following capabilities:
- Agile and distributed decision-making - using evidence and applying judgement to balance pace, rigors and risk, governance and control, managing ambiguity and paradox.
- Managing individual performance.
- Creating a performance culture and driving results, prioritization, execution, delivering performance.
- Setting strategic direction and leading on-going organizational transformation.
- Building a resilient organization.
- Building strong relationships and collaboration in service of common goals, engaging the organization and building trusted external networks for mutual benefit.
- Managing P&L and capital allocation.
GSK is an Equal Opportunity Employer and, in the US, we adhere to Affirmative Action principles. This ensures that all qualified applicants will receive equal consideration for employment without regard to race, colour, national origin, religion, sex, pregnancy, marital status, sexual orientation, gender identity/expression, age, disability, genetic information, military service, covered/protected veteran status or any other federal, state or local protected class.
Important notice to Employment businesses/ Agencies
GSK does not accept referrals from employment businesses and/or employment agencies in respect of the vacancies posted on this site. All employment businesses/agencies are required to contact GSK's commercial and general procurement/human resources department to obtain prior written authorization before referring any candidates to GSK. The obtaining of prior written authorization is a condition precedent to any agreement (verbal or written) between the employment business/ agency and GSK. In the absence of such written authorization being obtained any actions undertaken by the employment business/agency shall be deemed to have been performed without the consent or contractual agreement of GSK. GSK shall therefore not be liable for any fees arising from such actions or any fees arising from any referrals by employment businesses/agencies in respect of the vacancies posted on this site.