Director, CMC Statistics, Open to flexible working
Do you want to work for one of the world's leading pharmaceutical and healthcare companies, applying your statistical skills and innovative statistical methodology to make key contributions to the development of new medicines?
We have an exciting opportunity for an experienced applied statistician to join our global Chemistry, Manufacturing and Controls (CMC) group, dedicated to supporting the development of manufacturing and associated processes required to bring a physical medicinal product to market.
As a senior leader within CMC Statistics, you will help the Head set strategy and direction for the global team and will manage, mentor and coach more junior colleagues.
The role will require collaborating with scientists, often in multidisciplinary teams, providing statistical leadership to project teams, developing the active pharmaceutical ingredient, and formulating it into medicines for many diseases.
This role will suit a driven self-motivated and experienced Statistician. You will have a strong technical knowledge in statistics and will also be proficient in the use of statistical software. You will have a strong track-record of solving complex problems and developing solutions, be resilient and calm under pressure, with strong people skills and a proven ability to influence.
Our vision is to create a single global high performing team of statisticians, who ensure statistical thinking is an integral part of decision making and knowledge gathering in Research and Development.
- Contribute to the strategic leadership of the CMC Statistics group
- Manage, coach and mentor more junior colleagues within CMC Statistics
- Provide statistical input to the design, analysis, reporting and interpretation of CMC studies
- Apply a wide range of methodologies including linear and non-linear modelling, design of experiments and analysis, equivalence testing, multivariate methods and modelling based on the Bayesian paradigm
- Promote statistical approaches and communicate with other statisticians and scientific colleagues to ensure appropriate inference is used as decisions are made
- Contribute to regulatory submissions required to register our medicines on the market
- Assist with the coaching, mentoring and training of non-statisticians as required on the appropriate use of statistical methodologies for their business processes
- Operate across the entire range of drug development activities, from early development, to registration and marketed product support.
- Actively participate in the wider statistics network and help ensure that best practices are incorporated into local ways of working
- Maintain and develop technical knowledge and skills appropriate for the role of professional statistician
- MSc in statistics or a related discipline
- Practical understanding of statistical modelling and its application to real world problems
- Track record of strong academic performance
- Able to adapt to changing business needs
- Demonstrated experience working effectively in a team setting
- Strong time management and prioritization skills
- PhD in statistics or a related discipline with demonstrable experience as a statistician in a pharmaceutical, fast moving consumer goods, agrochemical or academic setting
- Expertise in multiple statistical methodologies as well as demonstrated experience leveraging their practical application
- Experience of managing statisticians or quantitative scientists
- Proven capability of applying innovative statistical thinking
- Experience with Bayesian methods
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills, with capability in building and maintaining strong working relationships
- Demonstrated ability to explain novel and standard methods to scientific colleagues
- Experience as a consultant statistician who has taken a leadership role in a multi-disciplinary team
- Proficient in the use of Statistical software (e.g. R, SAS, Statistica, DesignExpert)
As a company driven by our values of Patient focus, Transparency, Respect and Integrity, we know inclusion and diversity are essential for us to be able to succeed. We want all our colleagues to thrive at GSK bringing their unique experiences, ensuring they feel good and to keep growing their careers. As a candidate for a role, we want you to feel the same way.
As an Equal Opportunity Employer, we are open to all talent. In the US, we also adhere to Affirmative Action principles. This ensures that all qualified applicants will receive equal consideration for employment without regard to race/ethnicity, colour, national origin, religion, gender, pregnancy, marital status, sexual orientation, gender identity/expression, age, disability, genetic information, military service, covered/protected veteran status or any other federal, state or local protected class*(*US only).
We believe in an agile working culture for all our roles. If flexibility is important to you, we encourage you to explore with our hiring team what the opportunities are.
As you apply, we will ask you to share some personal information which is entirely voluntary. We want to have an opportunity to consider a diverse pool of qualified candidates and this information will assist us in meeting that objective and in understanding how well we are doing against our inclusion and diversity ambitions. We would really appreciate it if you could take a few moments to complete it. Rest assured, Hiring Managers do not have access to this information and we will treat your information confidentially.
Important notice to Employment businesses/ Agencies
GSK does not accept referrals from employment businesses and/or employment agencies in respect of the vacancies posted on this site. All employment businesses/agencies are required to contact GSK's commercial and general procurement/human resources department to obtain prior written authorization before referring any candidates to GSK. The obtaining of prior written authorization is a condition precedent to any agreement (verbal or written) between the employment business/ agency and GSK. In the absence of such written authorization being obtained any actions undertaken by the employment business/agency shall be deemed to have been performed without the consent or contractual agreement of GSK. GSK shall therefore not be liable for any fees arising from such actions or any fees arising from any referrals by employment businesses/agencies in respect of the vacancies posted on this site.