Senior Programmes Officer - Open to job share, flexible working
Since August 2019 the Adult Education Budget (AEB), which delivers education and training to adults aged 19+, has been delegated to the Mayor. With unemployment surging in the capital, ensuring that Londoners have the right skills to find employment and progress in work is critical in supporting London’s economic recovery from the coronavirus crisis. This is an exciting professional opportunity to be at the heart of supporting London’s economic recovery through efficient management of the AEB.
The Funding Policy and Systems team is responsible for ensuring that the £318 million annual budget funds provision that improves Londoners’ lives and drives the economy forward. This is particularly important now in the context of Covid-19, Brexit and the poor economic outlook.
Within the Funding Policy and Systems team, we are looking to recruit a Senior Programmes Officer to work on technical funding systems and data, including management of system development or business improvement projects, AEB programme performance reporting and scripting. This role will ensure that systems handle AEB programme data efficiently and securely, and that data and performance reporting required to manage the AEB programme is available to a range of stakeholders.
Key skills and experience required to be successful in this role include:
- Excellent computer literacy, especially Excel and presentation software – Excel skill level to include creation of pivot tables, use of VLOOKUPs, ability to create rankings
- Excellent quantitative analysis skills, including an ability to
- create performance monitoring reports, including current and projected performance vs targets and profiles
- analyse data and interpret results to highlight trends or areas requiring focus
- Track record in project management and implementation, ideally in an Agile system development and business process improvement context
- Strong experience of Python programming language, to enable analysis of datasets that are too large to be handled in Excel, and scripting to streamline data handling processes (excellent R or SQL skills will be considered)
- example scripting skills: use python pandas to subset data based on logical rules, create new fields based on values in a combination of columns, aggregate data into new tables using group by functions, use python xlsxwriter to export formatted excel workbooks
The team expects applicants from a range of backgrounds, including but not limited to programme delivery, data system operations, project management of business process and systems development, or data analysis and performance reporting. We would especially welcome applications from those currently working with AEB or ESF funding or MI, including those from Colleges or other providers, or with experience working with Individualised Learner Record (ILR) or other education-related data. This role will require strong quantitative and analytical skills.
In addition to knowledge of skills and employment policy in London, knowledge of DfE and Education and Skills Funding Agency funding policy and programmes would be beneficial.
We are committed to being an inclusive employer and we are happy to consider flexible working arrangements and welcome applications from candidates seeking part time work as this role is open to job share.
London's diversity is its biggest asset and we strive to ensure our workforce reflects London's diversity at all levels. We welcome applications from everyone regardless of age, gender, ethnicity, sexual orientation, faith or disability.
In addition to a good salary package, we offer an attractive range of benefits including 30 days’ annual leave, interest free season ticket loan, interest free bicycle loan, childcare voucher scheme and a career average pension scheme.
Application closing date: Sunday 14 March 2021 at 23:59 at 23:59
Interviews will take place at: Remotely via Microsoft Teams on Tuesday 30 & Wednesday 31 March 2021
Please note we do not accept CV’s for this role. All applications for this vacancy must be submitted via our online recruitment system. To apply and to view a copy of the Job Description and Person specification, please click the "Apply Now" button below.