Principal Programmer, Open to flexible working
GlaxoSmithKline is a world leading research-based pharmaceutical company that combines both individual talent and technical resources to support our mission to improve the quality of human life by enabling people to do more, feel better and live longer.
GlaxoSmithKline is one of the world's foremost pharmaceutical and healthcare companies, with statisticians and programmers working in Research and Development with a global footprint spanning the UK, US, Canada and India. The Biostatistics division includes a Clinical Programming department, covering all phases of clinical drug development and commercialisation in a wide range of therapeutic areas. Programming's deliverables form the core of all regulatory submissions, health authority assessments, safety updates and publications (for peer review journals and scientific meetings).
The Clinical Programming team at GSK has a strong focus on innovative ways of working and we are leading the way to implement these innovations and embracing an evolution for increased data science skills; this is already resulting in the introduction of new programming languages, technology and software. Some of these initiatives include the pathway for adoption of R and Python open source coding into day to day programming tasks, exploring machine learning to drive efficiencies for clinical reporting, developing desktop visualisation capabilities and we even have an annual challenge for Programmers who are rewarded for bringing new innovations into the department. But it's not just about the tech! We also encourage involvement in other initiatives too and we focus on your personal development path, building your project and leadership skills, your inter-departmental liaison and collaboration skills and we provide you with opportunities to get closer to the science and decision making.
You will work within a team of 15 programmers of various seniority and report to our Programming Director Gary Hearfield. The team have a large portfolio of projects which are at various phases in their life-cycle from start-up to post-launch. Your role will be to act as an SME in programming and support on all current projects in the team, this will include being accountable and leading data discussions across the department as well as being the point of contact for regulatory authorities.
- Act as a subject matter expert within own discipline
- Provide technical contribution to complex tasks
- Lead, or make a major contribution to, the planning and execution of multiple programming activities to deliver all required outputs
- Work as a lead within own discipline to investigate new technology as directed
- Ensure the collection of programs/outputs and issues are adequately managed for programming activities to achieve business outcomes
- Apply learning from previous activities to result in quicker and more efficient completion of the current task
- Share learnings with peers and contributes to internal technical discussions/forums
- Active member of external professional/ industry organization
- Initiate new directions and novel strategies to achieve department goals
- Effectively explains technical concepts to non-technical colleagues
- Project manage or lead programming activities, including approval of plans under supervision, to achieve technical or business outcomes within own discipline
- Contribute to and influence the strategic planning and direction of a project
- Automation of data creation, graphs, tables and certain statistical analyses using R scripts Project manage and lead programming activities, including approval of plans under supervision, to achieve technical or business outcomes within own discipline
- Contributes to and influences the strategic planning and direction of a project
Closing Date for Applications: 10th March 2021 (COB)
Please take a copy of the Job Description, as this will not be available post closure of the advert.
When applying for this role, please use the 'cover letter' of the online application or your CV to describe how you meet the competencies for this role, as outlined in the job requirements above. The information that you have provided in your cover letter and CV will be used to assess your application.
During the course of your application you will be requested to complete voluntary information which will be used in monitoring the effectiveness of our equality and diversity policies. Your information will be treated as confidential and will not be used in any part of the selection process. If you require a reasonable adjustment to the application / selection process to enable you to demonstrate your ability to perform the job requirements, please contact 0808 234 4391. This will help us to understand any modifications we may need to make to support you throughout our selection process.
We are looking for professionals with these required skills to achieve our goals:
- BSc (or equivalent) in mathematics, statistics, computer science (or related discipline)
- Experienced with R, SAS programming, and script/macro code development
- Experience with programming language(s)
- Experience leading multiple studies
- Experience with writing and applying Metadata Specifications/Derivations
- Experience with products such as R-Shiny, Python, JMP, SAS/GRAPH, SAS Output Delivery System
If you have the following characteristics, it would be a plus:
- Extensive working knowledge of GxP, ICH requirements, internal processes and external regulations that govern drug development (where applicable)
- Takes responsibility for oversight of others work as assigned by manager
- Demonstrated effectiveness in both oral and written communications, able to express ideas and incorporate feedback to produce a completed quality deliverable
- Able to explain technical approaches to peers and non-technical colleagues/settings
- Deliver presentations with clarity in internal forums and/or external professional industry meetings
- Experience with Tidyverse programming
Our values and expectations are at the heart of everything we do and form an important part of our culture.
These include Patient focus, Transparency, Respect, Integrity along with Courage, Accountability, Development, and Teamwork. As GSK focuses on our values and expectations and a culture of innovation, performance, and trust, the successful candidate will demonstrate the following capabilities:
- Operating at pace and agile decision-making - using evidence and applying judgement to balance pace, rigour and risk.
- Committed to delivering high quality results, overcoming challenges, focusing on what matters, execution.
- Continuously looking for opportunities to learn, build skills and share learning.
- Sustaining energy and well-being.
- Building strong relationships and collaboration, honest and open conversations.
- Budgeting and cost-consciousness.
At GSK, we're a company with a special purpose, to help people do more feel better and live longer. Realising our purpose starts with us. When we feel at our best, we perform at our best.
When you set out on your adventure at GSK, we make a deal. You commit to living GSK's values and expectations and performing against our Innovation, Performance and Trust priorities. And in return, GSK commits to providing the right environment for you to thrive. Put simply, it's about you being motivated to do your best work, in a place where you can be you, feel good and keep growing.
Together we build an environment where we can all thrive and focus on what matters most to each of us. It is only through the energy, dedication, drive and passion of all of us that we can be the very best for GSK, and importantly, for our patients and consumers.
As a company driven by our values of Patient focus, Transparency, Respect and Integrity, we know inclusion and diversity are essential for us to be able to succeed. We want all our colleagues to thrive at GSK bringing their unique experiences, ensuring they feel good and to keep growing their careers. As a candidate for a role, we want you to feel the same way.
As an Equal Opportunity Employer, we are open to all talent. In the US, we also adhere to Affirmative Action principles. This ensures that all qualified applicants will receive equal consideration for employment without regard to race/ethnicity, colour, national origin, religion, gender, pregnancy, marital status, sexual orientation, gender identity/expression, age, disability, genetic information, military service, covered/protected veteran status or any other federal, state or local protected class*(*US only).
We believe in an agile working culture for all our roles. If flexibility is important to you, we encourage you to explore with our hiring team what the opportunities are.
As you apply, we will ask you to share some personal information which is entirely voluntary. We want to have an opportunity to consider a diverse pool of qualified candidates and this information will assist us in meeting that objective and in understanding how well we are doing against our inclusion and diversity ambitions. We would really appreciate it if you could take a few moments to complete it. Rest assured, Hiring Managers do not have access to this information and we will treat your information confidentially.
Important notice to Employment businesses/ Agencies
GSK does not accept referrals from employment businesses and/or employment agencies in respect of the vacancies posted on this site. All employment businesses/agencies are required to contact GSK's commercial and general procurement/human resources department to obtain prior written authorization before referring any candidates to GSK. The obtaining of prior written authorization is a condition precedent to any agreement (verbal or written) between the employment business/ agency and GSK. In the absence of such written authorization being obtained any actions undertaken by the employment business/agency shall be deemed to have been performed without the consent or contractual agreement of GSK. GSK shall therefore not be liable for any fees arising from such actions or any fees arising from any referrals by employment businesses/agencies in respect of the vacancies posted on this site.