Global Records Manager, Open to flexible working
Diageo is the world’s leading premium drinks company with an outstanding collection of brands, such as Johnnie Walker, Smirnoff, Baileys, Captain Morgan, Tanqueray and Guinness. Our purpose – Celebrating life, every day, everywhere – has an important role in our company, for our people, our diversity, our brands, in how we perform and how we create shared value.
Scotch accounts for more than 30% of Diageo NSV annually. We are leaders of the global Scotch category, and our portfolio of brands is wide. Flagship brand Johnnie Walker is the largest Scotch brand in the world, and delivers approx. 50% of Scotch NSV), local hero brands such as Buchanan’s, Old Parr and J&B, iconic single malts such as Talisker, and a range of more affordably priced Primaries Scotch brands spearheaded by Black & White.
Gin is one of the Diageo success stories over the last few years. Gordon’s Gin has gone from a traditional brand to a vibrant, modern and exciting gin that is growing rapidly and launching into new markets all around the world. Gordon’s Gin is the largest gin brand in the Diageo portfolio.
About the function:
Records Management and Disposal is an important aspect of information governance. Key drivers for strong records retention compliance include the correct execution of Records Retention processes by the markets with assistance and advice from experts in Information Management &Security (IM&S), governance and oversight at a global/market/functional level with clear monitoring and reporting compliance.
The pace of change in IT (cloud, social, mobile, virtual, smart applications) and data protection regulations (such as GDPR, CCPA etc.) results in complexities to information management and to safeguard and protect structured, unstructured and transactional information/data.
Record managers are employed to organise, maintain and protect a company’s information database, in both paper and electronic forms. The aim is to achieve a structured, efficient and user friendly system, resulting in effective and economical management of the company’s information and resources. Effective records management ensures that the information needed is retrievable, authentic, and accurate.
This global, management-level role is required to fill Diageo’s need to upweight its cross-functional information governance and information management requirements. The role owner will engage directly with senior executive stakholders and local records managers in markets and functions to drive implementation and continuous improvement of Diageo’s information governance agenda.
- Global role – direct support of markets and global functions
- Detailed appreciation, in collaboration with global stakeholders, of the implications of current and future legal and regulatory requirements affecting Information Management and Information protection in different jurisdictions.
- Ability to understand quickly Diageo’s data map and its relevance to Diageo’s business
About the role:
- Global subject matter expert with in-depth specialist functional knowledge, skills and abilities covering information lifecycle governance, eDiscovery, information protection, risk management, information retention and disposal.
- Stakeholder engagement with senior leaders in the business who are closely involved with e-Discovery and legal/litigation hold.
- Stakeholder engagement with senior leaders in the business to support ongoing data protection initiatives.
- Provide leadership and drive ongoing monitoring to Diageo application owners to ensure records retention schedules are implemented and followed on their applications.
- Drive cultural change across the company to prioritize records management and raise comfort with information disposal.
- Provide subject matter expertise to all Diageo markets and functions to ensure cost effective and compliant management of information in accordance with industry best practices.
Top 3-5 Accountabilities
- Chair the cross-functional Information Management Working Group to provide proactive leadership to senior business stakeholders on all elements of information management and information governance
- Deliver on the defined Information Management Strategy through supporting Diageo’s markets directly (and the legal function in particular) on implementation of records management best practices
- Ensure that business is conducted in compliance with all relevant information governance legislation and regulation in an efficient and effective way
- Ensure that all appropriate information policies, procedures and assurances are in place that balance legislative requirements and organisational need;
- Support promotion of data protection culture and compliance throughout the organisation.
- Post graduate qualification in Law, Information Management, Records Management, Information Security or similar field
- Relevant professional certifications including some of the following; Certified Records Manager (ICRM), IG Professional (ARMA), Certified Information Privacy Professional (IAPP), Certified eDiscovery Specialist (ACEDS), Certified Information Professional (AIIM)
- 8+ years’ experience in information management or information protection with large multi-national commercial organizations.
- Experience with implementation of Records management models such as IGRM and GARP (ARMA).
- Working knowledge of current legislation regarding data protection (e.g. GDPR)
- In depth expertise in data protections as it relates to global legal, regulatory and compliance issues and industry best practice
- Ability to anticipate changing demands for use of information
- Excellent research and organisational skills
- Capability to work in complex and ambiguous situations
- Demonstration of leadership and relationship skills among internal and external stakeholders
- Demonstration of a broad-based view of issues, events and activities and a perception of their longer term impact or wider implications
- Commitment to professional development
- Curiosity and an eye for detail
- Good negotiation skills
- An analytical mind