Investigations Counsel - EMEA, Open to flexible working
To lead and conduct attorney-client privileged internal investigations, with primary focus in Europe, the Middle East, and Africa; will have responsibility for individual investigations in other regions as the need arises. These internal investigations relate to potential breaches of company policy or law where the company needs legal advice. This role helps drive peak operational performance through effective management of these investigations; provision of legal advice into the timely deterrence, detection, prevention, investigation, and reporting of misconduct; and cost containment.
- Lead attorney-client privileged internal investigations in the EMEA region or other LOCs and regions outside EMEA as needs arise. These investigations will be run in partnership with members of the company's Corporate Investigations team and, at times, will involve outside counsel and/or forensic firms.
- Make strategic and tactical decisions relating to each ACP investigation in the region; work with the team to develop and execute an appropriately tailored investigation plan for each matter; drive completion of the work and issuance of a report in a timely manner, while remaining flexible throughout the course of the investigation; provide legal advice during and at the conclusion of each matter, including as to recommended remediation, culpability of parties involved, and potential company exposure to government investigations and litigation.
- Engage in stakeholder management regarding difficult and sophisticated matters in culturally diverse markets, including delivering oral and written reports on developments and findings in investigations to senior leaders across business units, up to and including the company's General Counsel and Chief Compliance Officer
- Advise the business on recommended corrective and preventative action plans and disciplinary decisions coming out of ACP investigations
- Support Legal and Compliance colleagues across the region in advising the business on risks, trends, and solutions in high risk areas, primarily in the field of Anti-Bribery and Anti-Corruption
- Prepare and deliver presentations to other teams on issues such as privilege, the investigations process, and lessons learned coming out of investigations.
- Work closely with the DRP Investigations Team and the Corporate Investigations Team, Compliance, and HR on continuous improvements to the end-to-end investigation process overall.
- Deliver financial value to the company by leading investigations as efficiently as possible and handling costs, including working with GELRT to negotiate favourable alternative fee arrangements with outside counsel and other vendors.
- Lead market specific ABAC due diligence in acquisitions and divestitures.
- Assist in other litigation matters from time-to-time, depending on the needs and workload of the DRP team overall.
Previous Experience Required
- Demonstrated ability practicing in a law firm or corporate in-house team.
- Must have a proven track record to approach investigations objectively, with legal analytical skills, good judgment, and cultural sensitivity. Ability to communicate clearly and handle all levels of stakeholders efficiently across business units in critical and difficult matters required.
- Must be able to travel internationally and have flexibility in personal schedule to accommodate working across time zones.
- Hands-on experience leading or being part of a team leading attorney-client privileged investigations in a corporate setting as well as working on government investigations -- either as an attorney in a law firm and/or an in-house attorney -- preferred. Experience with Ant-Bribery Anti-Corruption laws required. Government experience a plus.
As a company driven by our values of Patient focus, Transparency, Respect and Integrity, we know inclusion and diversity are essential for us to be able to succeed. We want all our colleagues to thrive at GSK bringing their unique experiences, ensuring they feel good and to keep growing their careers. As a candidate for a role, we want you to feel the same way.
As an Equal Opportunity Employer, we are open to all talent. In the US, we also adhere to Affirmative Action principles. This ensures that all qualified applicants will receive equal consideration for employment without regard to race/ethnicity, colour, national origin, religion, gender, pregnancy, marital status, sexual orientation, gender identity/expression, age, disability, genetic information, military service, covered/protected veteran status or any other federal, state or local protected class*(*US only).
We believe in an agile working culture for all our roles. If flexibility is important to you, we encourage you to explore with our hiring team what the opportunities are.
As you apply, we will ask you to share some personal information which is entirely voluntary. We want to have an opportunity to consider a diverse pool of qualified candidates and this information will assist us in meeting that objective and in understanding how well we are doing against our inclusion and diversity ambitions. We would really appreciate it if you could take a few moments to complete it. Rest assured, Hiring Managers do not have access to this information and we will treat your information confidentially.
Important notice to Employment businesses/ Agencies
GSK does not accept referrals from employment businesses and/or employment agencies in respect of the vacancies posted on this site. All employment businesses/agencies are required to contact GSK's commercial and general procurement/human resources department to obtain prior written authorization before referring any candidates to GSK. The obtaining of prior written authorization is a condition precedent to any agreement (verbal or written) between the employment business/ agency and GSK. In the absence of such written authorization being obtained any actions undertaken by the employment business/agency shall be deemed to have been performed without the consent or contractual agreement of GSK. GSK shall therefore not be liable for any fees arising from such actions or any fees arising from any referrals by employment businesses/agencies in respect of the vacancies posted on this site.