Internal Communications Senior Manager, Open to flexibility
Internal Communications Senior Manager, Open to flexibility
At KPMG, our values define who we are and the way we do business. As a leading professional services firm, we know that our strength and capability come from our people – their different perspectives, experiences and backgrounds. From our inclusive leadership strategy to our diversity and inclusion targets – we’re making bold changes to who we are and what we do. Be part of it.
This important role reports into the head of internal communications and will focus on cultivating the strategic relationships with the Executive Committee members within our newly formed leadership team. The role will require you to help further establish the internal communication team as trusted advisors and ensure consistent messaging on the delivery of the 2020 Strategy and ‘KPMG Story’ communications cascades. You will find ways to source content and examples from teams across the firm that demonstrate our strategy and Story in action and standardise our approach to communications planning.
This role requires you to work with our Head of people to develop a firm wide communications strategy that engages and embeds the people strategy to all colleagues. In addition, you will work closely with the people leadership team to develop an engagement plan for the function to bring people together and Responsible for influencing senior stakeholders on best practice communication approaches and tactics, the role holder will equip and deliver tools to support programme specific engagement activities, as well as ‘business as usual’ communications.
We are trusted advisors and experts who speak truth to power, to connect people through conversations. We enable our people to do their job more effectively in order to accelerate our journey to be the clear choice. In the end, we will have made a difference where our people are trusted, engaged and informed, and are proud to work for KPMG.
- Be accountable for the development and delivery of internal communications strategies and plans to support the requirements of the Head of People. Audiences include partners, people leaders and all colleagues, as well as function-specific communities.
- Accountable for the successful implementation and rollout of plans, including creating key messaging, drafting and designing communications, identifying audiences and effective use of channels including digital and social.
- Design and put into place an effective communications infrastructure of tools and channels that enables communication of the people strategy in line with the firm’s strategy, as well as engagement of key functional audiences
- Develop standardised tools and guidance to help build business partnering capabilities across the IC team
- Introduce innovative and creative approaches to ensuring impactful messaging
- Educate and influence senior stakeholders (often at an ExCo level) about best practice communication approaches
- Work with the internal communications team to keep them informed of what’s happening to ensure alignment of messaging and channels
- Line manage our very confident and incredibly smart assistant manager
The role requires a self motivated individual who is both strategically minded and delivery focused and who has a proven track record of delivering both internal and change communications. The ability to both develop strategic approaches and operationalise them is required. The right person for this role will be able to work with all levels of the organisation, from our ExCo to our assistant managers. It’s important that you can demonstrate leadership skills as this role will be part of the internal communications leadership team, which will include being influential on the direction of the team, the decisions we make and coaching and mentoring team members.
It would be advantageous to have a deep understanding of the way a partnership business is conducted and the way a big four professional services firm operates. Demonstrable experience of working in communications for a number of years – in house, consultancy or agency - is essential, along with experience dealing with complex, sensitive and challenging senior stakeholders. Experience working within a professional services firm and knowledge of a matrix operating model is desirable. Membership of a professional body and / or relevant qualifications would be an advantage.
- Proactive ability to combine strategic thinking with a demonstrable track record in successful delivery and implementation of communication plans
- Credible in stakeholder management, relationship building and ability to manage demanding and challenging clients, without losing sight of the bigger business strategy picture
- High quality written and verbal communication skills in fluent English
- Very strong project management skills, with the ability to self-manage, prioritising a wide number and variety of tasks to deliver overall objectives
- A sound understanding of KPMG’s business and wider industry issues - experience of professional services would be advantageous. Big four experience would be an asset.
- Background knowledge of tax, audit and advisory is also advantageous essential
- A good understanding of and interest in technology, social media and the impact developing technology is having on communications and collaboration
- The ability to understand how internal communication project activities need to integrate with all other communication and corporate activities
- The ability to influence stakeholders about the value of good internal communication and act as an ambassador for Internal Communications/ Corporate Affairs
- A strong team player with a collaborative approach is essential
- The ability to work under pressure and to tight deadlines
- A sense of humour and an ability to get their hands dirty when required
KPMG is one of the ‘big four’ professional services firms. These firms lead the world in audit, tax advice and advising on finance and business issues. It has some 15,000 employees and over 600 partners in 23 offices across the UK.
We recognise that as individuals, we each have particular needs and that one size doesn’t fit all, when it comes to how, when and where you work. That’s why we’re proud to offer our colleagues agile working options. We believe in putting you at the centre of your career – KPMG will offer the training, development and stimulating work environment to help you get to where your career ambitions are. That’s why we introduced ‘Our Deal’ – it’s our way of saying ‘thank you’ for bringing your best to work. As part of ‘Our Deal’, you’ll benefit from a range of rewards from secondment opportunities and preferential banking services to a day off on your birthday and have open, honest conversations about your career development.