UK Oncology Field Medical Director, Open to flexible working
5 days left
- Contract Type
We are currently recruiting a high performing National Field Medical Director for Oncology.
This highly sought-after and dynamic leadership role will manage our women's cancers and haematology Medical Scientific Liaison (MSL) professionals and be part of the growing oncology team at GSK.
The leadership role, reporting to the UK Medical Head of Oncology would help drive field medical excellence and peer to peer scientific exchange and be a critical part of the UKs ambition to be a centre of excellence for oncology medical affairs at GSK. The role would cover our extensive women's cancer synthetic lethality, immuno-oncology and haematology pipeline, in particular niraparib and dostarlimab in women's cancers and our new first in class BCMA targeted antibody drug conjugate in multiple myeloma, belantamab mafodotin.
As a member of the field medical team you will lead a growing team of MSL professionals and build strong scientific partnerships with external experts and provide non-promotional, medical and scientific support to:
- Continue to grow the UKs position as a global centre of medical affairs excellence and have a pivotal role in redefining the MSL ways of working and the critical role of medical at GSK Oncology.
- Be an innovative dynamic leader to drive medical projects and take MSL performance to the next level locally and share these strategies and wins globally
- Enable the communication of your team's deep knowledge arounds GSK products and educate HCPs to ensure the safe effective use of our medicines, whilst gathering valuable insights for internal stakeholders to support the better understanding of patient needs and current evidence gaps.
- Provide cross functional leadership and matrix support for clinical development and HO medical affairs colleagues to deliver with excellence on the extensive trial portfolio. This will include; trial feasibility, site identification and selection along with ongoing support to investigators conducting GSK clinical trials.
- Empower your team to identify and support potential research opportunities consistent with medical and business strategies including investigator sponsored studies and real-world evidence (RWE) projects.
- Empower your team to establish high level collaborative agreements with centres of oncology excellence across the UK
Key Responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
- Engaging in scientific dialogue with external experts around GSK's Oncology medicines, in particular the multiple myeloma community and belantamab mafodotin, to build strong scientific partnerships and deliver peer to peer level medical education enabling them to confidently discuss our medicines with patients and the wider medical community.
- Acting as an expert speaker at scientific events to disseminate information to larger groups of healthcare providers while stimulating clinical dialogue to gain different views and perspectives.
- Responding to unsolicited requests for Medical Information from healthcare providers in a fair, factual, balanced, and scientifically rigorous manner via the appropriate and preferred channel.
- Acting as the interface between the professional healthcare community and the internal GSK medical team and its affiliates to bring in value-added insights that inform GSK Medical, Commercial, and Research & Development activities.
- Fostering a collaborative working relationship with Medical Representatives and Commercial colleagues.
- Partner with matrix colleagues (e.g. sales, marketing, market access, etc.) to ensure strategies and business plans are both patient and business focused, and adding value to the external expert
- Disseminating important safety information to healthcare professionals as and when this emerges.
- Supporting clinical development activities in their assigned therapy area by participating in trial feasibility, site identification and assessment, addressing subject retention and other scientific issues in partnership with the study management team.
- Identifying and support potential research opportunities consistent with medical and business strategies including investigator sponsored studies (ISSs) and RWE projects.
- Providing scientific education training for business partners such as the Medical Representatives by being the local scientific expert in a therapy area.
- Maintaining a level of expertise in the evolving scientific / therapeutic area and in competitor medicines and vaccines.
- Attending scientific meetings and congresses to keep abreast of the evolving science in a therapy area.
- Fully understand and comply with GSK standards and policies and with local codes of practice, guidelines and laws to ensure the strictest requirements are met.
We are looking for professionals with these required skills to achieve our goals:
- Higher degree in life sciences: PhD, MSc or equivalent AND/OR A significant amount of pharmaceutical industry experience in a role successfully engaging in scientific exchange with external experts.
- MSL Management and oncology medical affairs experience
- Effective communication skills and ability to tailor information to different audiences appropriately.
- Ability to translates complex science into simple messages.
- Ability to communicate through multiple channels e.g. webinars.
- Solid grounding in clinical, medical and pharmaceutical science with the ability to rapidly assimilate specific and detailed knowledge in these areas.
- An understanding of clinical development, and statistical design and analysis.
- Effective networking and collaboration skills to achieve business results.
- Strong business mindset and ability to balance cross-functional objectives.
- If you have the following characteristics, it would be a plus:
- Medical Degree (MD, MBBS, MPharm, PharmD)
- Expertise in the specific oncology area of the advertised role
- Strong academic background having participated in, or led research projects and authored publications
- A sense of curiosity and a passion for continuous learning and development.
Our values and expectations are at the heart of everything we do and form an important part of our culture
These include Patient focus, Transparency, Respect, Integrity along with Courage, Accountability, Development, and Teamwork. As GSK focuses on our values and expectations and a culture of innovation, performance, and trust, the successful candidate will demonstrate the following capabilities:
- Operating at pace and agile decision-making - using evidence and applying judgement to balance pace, rigour and risk.
- Committed to delivering high quality results, overcoming challenges, focusing on what matters, execution.
- Continuously looking for opportunities to learn, build skills and share learning.
- Sustaining energy and well-being
- Building strong relationships and collaboration, honest and open conversations.
- Budgeting and cost-consciousness
As a company driven by our values of Patient focus, Transparency, Respect and Integrity, we know inclusion and diversity are essential for us to be able to succeed. We want all our colleagues to thrive at GSK bringing their unique experiences, ensuring they feel good and to keep growing their careers. As a candidate for a role, we want you to feel the same way.
As an Equal Opportunity Employer, we are open to all talent. In the US, we also adhere to Affirmative Action principles. This ensures that all qualified applicants will receive equal consideration for employment without regard to race/ethnicity, colour, national origin, religion, gender, pregnancy, marital status, sexual orientation, gender identity/expression, age, disability, genetic information, military service, covered/protected veteran status or any other federal, state or local protected class*(*US only).
We believe in an agile working culture for all our roles. If flexibility is important to you, we encourage you to explore with our hiring team what the opportunities are.
As you apply, we will ask you to share some personal information which is entirely voluntary. We want to have an opportunity to consider a diverse pool of qualified candidates and this information will assist us in meeting that objective and in understanding how well we are doing against our inclusion and diversity ambitions. We would really appreciate it if you could take a few moments to complete it. Rest assured, Hiring Managers do not have access to this information and we will treat your information confidentially.
Important notice to Employment businesses/ Agencies
GSK does not accept referrals from employment businesses and/or employment agencies in respect of the vacancies posted on this site. All employment businesses/agencies are required to contact GSK's commercial and general procurement/human resources department to obtain prior written authorization before referring any candidates to GSK. The obtaining of prior written authorization is a condition precedent to any agreement (verbal or written) between the employment business/ agency and GSK. In the absence of such written authorization being obtained any actions undertaken by the employment business/agency shall be deemed to have been performed without the consent or contractual agreement of GSK. GSK shall therefore not be liable for any fees arising from such actions or any fees arising from any referrals by employment businesses/agencies in respect of the vacancies posted on this site.