Marketing and PR, Part time 25 hours per week, homeworking
Up to 25 hours per week spread evenly across Monday to Friday - contract
Flexible working hours, home working
Although this role is predominantly home-based, we are looking to recruit somebody in the Greater London area who can attend monthly meetings in central London.
Start date: as soon as possible
The Biometrics Institute is a not-for-profit membership organisation operating in one of the most exciting and fastest growing segments of the technology market.
Biometrics is the identification of individuals based on distinctive physiological characteristics, including fingerprints, facial recognition, voice and iris.
The Biometrics Institute's mission is to promote the responsible use of biometrics as an independent and impartial international forum for biometric users and other interested parties. It has offices in London and Sydney. It has 240 member organisations from around the world including governments, airports, academics and technology suppliers.
The institute aims to connect, inform and increasingly lead the debate on the responsible and ethical use of biometrics.
This is an exciting opportunity for a marketing communications advisor to join our small, friendly team in a varied and flexible role. You will be solely in charge of our communications efforts to our members and other stakeholders, working closely with our chief executive and other team members. You will be proactive, enthusiastic and highly organised, with experience in marketing, PR, communications or journalism and have excellent writing skills. You’ll be digitally savvy, proactive at spotting opportunities and managing your own workload, and collaborative in your approach.
The team is entirely home-based, so it is essential that you can manage your time and workload effectively in a remote environment. Occasional flexibility in hours is required to support the Australian team and expert group meetings in different time zones.
If you’ve got a way with words, like the sound of promoting our work to our global membership and new audiences, and enjoy a challenge, we’d love to hear from you.
We’re looking for someone to start as soon as possible.
This role reports to the chief executive who is based in London. The main role objectives and tasks include:
- Update, maintain and take forward the marketing and communications strategy that reflects and supports the Biometrics Institute’s corporate strategy to connect, inform and position the institute as a thought leader on the responsible use of biometrics
- Understand key audiences and come up with ways to tailor key messaging by audience segments to maximise impact and relevance of communications
- Assess, monitor and adjust accordingly what communications should be produced, how often and via which channel, and implement and manage this plan
- Develop and own communications budgets and make the best use of limited resources
Thought leadership and content development
- Work with the chief executive to create and maximise member engagement with thought leadership and good practice content generated from the institute’s expert groups and other sources
- Take ownership and responsibility for identifying, creating and maximising member engagement with communications content from the institute’s activities, including events, member meetings and other initiatives
- Proactively promote and share the institute’s work, both internally across the global membership and externally through effective social media, public relations and media liaison
- Draft and execute communications materials, as identified in the communications strategy
- Manage the full end-to-end process for institute publications, as and when these are required, including the annual report
- Update the website with new posts and pages as required
- Manage, monitor and grow the institute’s social media presence (predominantly LinkedIn and Twitter), being mindful of protecting the institute’s reputation while doing so
Branding and corporate communication
- Write, edit and proofread copy for house style and consistency on behalf of the team
- Manage the institute’s brand, logo and visual identity
- Manage any media or external speaking engagements with the CEO to raise awareness of the institute’s role and brand
Review and monitor
- Evaluate communications activities to drive ongoing learning and improvement
- Keep abreast of competitor activity and communications, and updates across the biometrics industry
- Explore and mitigate communications risks, including reputational and data protection/security risks
Required skills and experience
To be successful in this role, you will have:
- A minimum of 5 years' experience in communications and marketing
- Excellent writing skills
- Strong verbal communication skills and content research skills
- Exceptional attention to detail and thoroughness
- Social media experience in particular Twitter and LinkedIn
- Strong organisational and time management skills, including the ability to coordinate and prioritise multiple projects in a fast-moving environment
- Self-starter with the initiative and ability to own and drive projects in close collaboration with the CEO
- The ability to work proactively and identify opportunities for adding value through communications
- The ability to motivate yourself and manage your time productively in a remote working environment
- Confidence and efficiency with technology including Twitter, LinkedIn, Mailchimp, Microsoft Office and analytics tools such as Google Analytics
Knowledge of, or interest and ability to learn:
- Claris FileMaker Pro database programme
- Adobe Creative Suite – particularly InDesign
Experience in a membership or not-for-profit environment would be useful, but is not essential.
To apply, please send a covering letter and your CV via the application method below. Please tell us how your experience and skills meet the requirements of the role.
We look forward to hearing from you.
Apply for Marketing and PR, Part time 25 hours per week, homeworking
Already uploaded your CV? Sign in to apply instantly