Manager, Pension Investments, Open to flexible working
5 days left
- Contract Type
This role sits within the Pension Investments team, which oversees the investment and financial risk management strategy for GSK's global Defined Benefit pension assets (c.£19 billion at 31 December 2020), in accordance with Company policies.
The team focuses on Defined Benefit pension arrangements in the UK, US and the largest Rest of World markets (comprising around ten different regions). The role holder will report to the Director of Global Pension Investments.
In this role you will lead on a number of different projects and will be expected to be proactive in liaising with various stakeholders in order to develop and implement various investment and risk management work streams.
Internal clients will include the Director of Global Pension Investments, the Group Treasurer, the CFO, the GSK Pension and Risk Committee, Trustees and Investment Committees. This role is market facing and external relationships include banks, fund managers and advisors (investment consultants, actuaries, lawyers).
Key responsibilities and work streams will include:
- Help to set and manage Company objectives on investment strategy and liability risk management working closely with Trustees and their advisors
- Develop and support Company objectives and negotiations on pension plan funding
- Identify areas of pension investment and risk management for further research / analysis and help to develop tractable solutions.
- Play an integral role in one-off projects, including large and complex transactions and sophisticated approaches to pension investment and liability risk management, including derivative strategies
- Assist with the implementation of Company / Trustee decisions on pension investment strategy and risk management, including reviewing legal documentation and supporting the transition of assets between different fund managers / asset classes
- Maintain legal documentation with external parties, including fee negotiation and agreeing fund manager objectives, guidelines and restrictions (with legal / investment advice)
Monitoring and Governance
- Prepare and present high-quality papers and strategic reporting to GSK's senior management and investment committees
- Monitor pension investment risks alongside GSK's strategic targets
- Review data, analysis and advice provided by external parties to GSK
- Review and monitor the performance and fees charged by investment fund managers
- Monitor capital market and regulatory developments and their potential impact on the pension schemes
- Keep abreast of regulatory developments, such as around ESG initiatives
- Maintain governance documents (e.g. investment policies, business plans, procedures) and ensure timely and robust decision-making processes are in place
- Ensure compliance with relevant regulations and develop, apply and maintain internal controls and risk management processes
- Partner closely with GSK staff in different areas of the business, such as Accounting, Tax and Benefits. Support GSK Accounting in relation to the production of corporate and pension plan accounting statements
- University graduate with relevant work experience in investment or pensions
- Financial or pensions related qualification (e.g. Actuarial, CFA).
- A good understanding of liability risk management strategies and the use of derivatives
- Comfortable taking on projects outside BAU workload
- Computer skills to include MS Word and Excel. Familiarity with Bloomberg helpful
- Excellent numeracy, strong attention to detail and an ability to analyse and dissect complex financial data
- Interest in legal documentation management and fee negotiation
- Strong oral and written skills and the ability to communicate complicated issues effectively
- Confident at liaising with, approaching and presenting to senior stakeholders
- Adaptable and comfortable with inherent uncertainty and ambiguity in certain decision making processes
- Able to develop suitable and proportionate solutions to fit scenarios where an existing approach does not exist
- Results focused, consistently delivering high quality work and meeting deadlines
- Proactive and positive approach, able to work well on large transactions and under pressure
- Strong time management and project management experience, including effective delegation to junior staff
- Collaborative approach and able to forge strong relationships with other teams and external contacts to build trust
As a company driven by our values of Patient focus, Transparency, Respect and Integrity, we know inclusion and diversity are essential for us to be able to succeed. We want all our colleagues to thrive at GSK bringing their unique experiences, ensuring they feel good and to keep growing their careers. As a candidate for a role, we want you to feel the same way.
As an Equal Opportunity Employer, we are open to all talent. In the US, we also adhere to Affirmative Action principles. This ensures that all qualified applicants will receive equal consideration for employment without regard to race/ethnicity, colour, national origin, religion, gender, pregnancy, marital status, sexual orientation, gender identity/expression, age, disability, genetic information, military service, covered/protected veteran status or any other federal, state or local protected class*(*US only).
We believe in an agile working culture for all our roles. If flexibility is important to you, we encourage you to explore with our hiring team what the opportunities are.
As you apply, we will ask you to share some personal information which is entirely voluntary. We want to have an opportunity to consider a diverse pool of qualified candidates and this information will assist us in meeting that objective and in understanding how well we are doing against our inclusion and diversity ambitions. We would really appreciate it if you could take a few moments to complete it. Rest assured, Hiring Managers do not have access to this information and we will treat your information confidentially.
Important notice to Employment businesses/ Agencies
GSK does not accept referrals from employment businesses and/or employment agencies in respect of the vacancies posted on this site. All employment businesses/agencies are required to contact GSK's commercial and general procurement/human resources department to obtain prior written authorization before referring any candidates to GSK. The obtaining of prior written authorization is a condition precedent to any agreement (verbal or written) between the employment business/ agency and GSK. In the absence of such written authorization being obtained any actions undertaken by the employment business/agency shall be deemed to have been performed without the consent or contractual agreement of GSK. GSK shall therefore not be liable for any fees arising from such actions or any fees arising from any referrals by employment businesses/agencies in respect of the vacancies posted on this site.