Device & Packaging Technology Head, Open to flexible working
The Global Manufacturing Science and Technology (MSAT) organization is a network-focused function which provides strategic direction and technical and operational support to ensure that GSK Pharma Supply Chain network and site goals and objectives are achieved, and determined strategy executed. MSAT is the keeper of the body of manufacturing process knowledge, creates the instruction set and ensures manufacturing operations stay aligned with the registered process. MSAT's primary functions are to lead technology transfers, implement control strategies, provide technical process support, provide process support across the product lifecycle, while implementing new products and new modalities for commercial products and product-related programs within the GSK PCS perimeter.
As the Device and Packaging Technology Head, you will be responsible for all device and primary packaging strategies across the whole GSK Pharma Supply Chain (PSC) product portfolio, delivering continuous improvement and lifecycle management of all components, devices and primary pack standards. You'll define these standards, ensuring capability across the business and our external supply partners through collaboration across PSC and R&D, covering both biopharma and small molecules. This role formally leads a multi-disciplinary team of device, materials and packaging specialists located at a range of sites.
The opportunity here allows you to impact a significant element of GSK's manufacturing, crafting and implementing far reaching strategies and future-proofing the business. You'll build a fantastic network across technical, engineering, quality and third parties, and capitalise on this to deliver results through both formal leadership and highly effective matrix management and influencing.
Key Responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
- Leading the Device & Primary Packaging team, ensuring Technical capabilities is maintained.
- Ensuring effective and efficient, fit for purpose capability and processes are in place to support the development of new platforms, continuous improvement of our existing platforms, adoption of new technologies and platform lifecycle management in conjunction with our 3rd party supply base partners.
- Establishing and leading a defined performance management structure to drive successful improvement project execution as well as product and technology lifecycle management.
- Leading and supporting the modernisation of strategic innovation programmes and franchise priority projects, working seamlessly with R&D and PSC organisations.
- Partnering with R&D to define first intent platforms that support acceleration and intensification of the biopharmaceutical portfolio for both parenteral device and biopharma cold chain transportation.
- Supporting and driving rapid resolution of device and packaging technical issues in support of sites or 3rd party partners.
- Maintaining an active technical talent management and succession programme for your team.
- Works with Global and Regional / Local Regulatory to understand, translate and apply appropriate regulations, being conversant with statutory obligations and GSK procedures for all regulatory requirements in device and pack areas; ensure GSK corporate governance is upheld.
We are looking for a true leader for this position - not only to lead a large team, but also to successfully build a trusting and engaged network which enables delivery of a wide variety of sophisticated projects involving many cooperating, multi-functional parties. As such, we need someone who is very credible in this space, and able to clearly communicate their knowledge and expertise at an audience-appropriate level. You will influence internally and externally, using strong communication skills to build partnerships at all levels of the business, and with some external teams. You will need really strong projects leadership skills, and must be comfortable working globally.
CLOSING DATE for applications: Friday 10th April (COB)
Please take a copy of the Job Description, as this will not be available post closure of the advert.
Required Qualifications and experience:
- Relevant higher-level qualification (MS, Meng, PhD etc.)
- Significant proven experience in a technical subject area related to packaging and devices
- In depth knowledge of scale-up, technical transfer and process change
- Hands on experience of multiple drug product dosage forms, and multiple devices and packaging types
- Conversant with GMP and US/EU/ROW Regulations
- Extensive experience in troubleshooting, RCA, Capas, etc.
- Track record of success in a management or leadership role
Preferred Qualifications and experience:
- Additional qualifications/education beneficial
- Experience leading a large international team
- Prior experience in a global change or strategy role
At GSK, we're a company with a special purpose, to help people do more feel better and live longer. Realising our purpose starts with us. When we feel at our best, we perform at our best.
When you set out on your adventure at GSK, we make a deal. You commit to living GSK's values and expectations and performing against our Innovation, Performance and Trust priorities. And in return, GSK commits to providing the right environment for you to thrive. Put simply, it's about you being motivated to do your best work, in a place where you can be you, feel good and keep growing.
Together we build an environment where we can all thrive and focus on what matters most to each of us. It is only through the energy, dedication, drive and passion of all of us that we can be the very best for GSK, and importantly, for our patients and consumers.
When applying for this role, please use the 'cover letter' of the online application or your CV to describe how you meet the competencies for this role, as outlined in the job requirements above. The information that you have provided in your cover letter and CV will be used to assess your application.
During the course of your application you will be requested to complete voluntary information which will be used in monitoring the effectiveness of our equality and diversity policies. Your information will be treated as confidential and will not be used in any part of the selection process. If you require a reasonable adjustment to the application / selection process to enable you to demonstrate your ability to perform the job requirements please contact 0808 234 4391. This will help us to understand any modifications we may need to make to support you throughout our selection process.
As a company driven by our values of Patient focus, Transparency, Respect and Integrity, we know inclusion and diversity are essential for us to be able to succeed. We want all our colleagues to thrive at GSK bringing their unique experiences, ensuring they feel good and to keep growing their careers. As a candidate for a role, we want you to feel the same way.
As an Equal Opportunity Employer, we are open to all talent. In the US, we also adhere to Affirmative Action principles. This ensures that all qualified applicants will receive equal consideration for employment without regard to race/ethnicity, colour, national origin, religion, gender, pregnancy, marital status, sexual orientation, gender identity/expression, age, disability, genetic information, military service, covered/protected veteran status or any other federal, state or local protected class*(*US only).
We believe in an agile working culture for all our roles. If flexibility is important to you, we encourage you to explore with our hiring team what the opportunities are.
As you apply, we will ask you to share some personal information which is entirely voluntary. We want to have an opportunity to consider a diverse pool of qualified candidates and this information will assist us in meeting that objective and in understanding how well we are doing against our inclusion and diversity ambitions. We would really appreciate it if you could take a few moments to complete it. Rest assured, Hiring Managers do not have access to this information and we will treat your information confidentially.
Important notice to Employment businesses/ Agencies
GSK does not accept referrals from employment businesses and/or employment agencies in respect of the vacancies posted on this site. All employment businesses/agencies are required to contact GSK's commercial and general procurement/human resources department to obtain prior written authorization before referring any candidates to GSK. The obtaining of prior written authorization is a condition precedent to any agreement (verbal or written) between the employment business/ agency and GSK. In the absence of such written authorization being obtained any actions undertaken by the employment business/agency shall be deemed to have been performed without the consent or contractual agreement of GSK. GSK shall therefore not be liable for any fees arising from such actions or any fees arising from any referrals by employment businesses/agencies in respect of the vacancies posted on this site.