Assistant Engineer, Open to flexible working
2 x Full time
3x FTC / Secondment
This position will support on a 24/7 rotation (BAN5) or 24/5 Rotation (BAN6) which is, of course, subject to change dependent on the needs of the business.
There are two permanent positions currently available for Assistant Engineers in the Steriles Business Unit (Syringes area) at GSK Barnard Castle. The role will involve standard site engineering duties, but also enhanced responsibilities as a senior member of the team. This will include responsibility for ensuring the engineering service provided to your business area is comprehensive and able to meet the business and regulatory needs of the department. You will be involved in project coordination, maintenance shutdowns, line improvements, quality, safety and continuous improvement actions, and will ensure all technical work is carried out to GMP standards and in compliance with company standards, as well as external regulatory guidelines.
The SBU is a core area of investment for the site and a key priority for the business. As such, you will have the opportunity to work on/support the latest device assembly technology as well as being heavily involved with a wide range of existing equipment/processes.
Key Responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
- Stand In/Support for the Engineering Team Manager
- Hands on technical cover for holidays and sickness or where there is insufficient technical knowledge in the Engineering team
- Management & supervision of the Engineering team to meet production and maintenance
- Management & supervision of contractors
- Engineering customer for small-scale project activities
- Implementation of EHS policy & improvement activities
- Implementation of Quality policy & improvement activities
- Planning & implementation of maintenance strategy.
- Preparation & review of Planned Preventative Maintenance (PPM) schedules & associated reports via MERPS
- Plan and implement the Annual shutdown for the Department
- Delivery of Continuous Improvements to drive increased performance in line with departmental objectives and KPI's
- ECC initiation, completion and sign off. Control of area database for ECC's
- Support of New Product Introduction within the department
- Completing PM and Quality Deviation Reports within the required timeframe
- Managing actions arising from Deviations, Audits, Inspections, etc
- Compliance - Managing "Live Files" and software control to ensure that department records relating to equipment and facility history, archived protocols and various document systems are updated
- Writing plant/equipment specific SOPs
- Manage the Data Change process from End to End
As an Assistant Engineer, you will be expected to take on additional responsibilities above the Engineering Technician role. These will require more adept communication and stakeholder management skills, as you will be one of the key facilitators and contact points between the engineering function and the wider cross functional team. You will need to balance multiple tasks, so being highly organised is critical as is the ability to identify key priorities and to respond accordingly. The Assistant Engineers are often also viewed as Subject Matter Experts and will be looked to not only for guidance on wider business process and admin but also as a technical leader - you must be comfortable with this additional responsibility and have the associated technical knowledge to support your colleagues where required.
CLOSING DATE April 12th 2021
Please take a copy of the Job Description, as this will not be available post closure of the advert.
When applying for this role, please use the 'cover letter' of the online application or your CV to describe how you meet the competencies for this role, as outlined in the job requirements above. The information that you have provided in your cover letter and CV will be used to assess your application.
Required Qualifications and experience:
- An Industry recognized Engineering apprenticeship
- Minimum of a HNC level qualification in an Engineering discipline
- Significant post-apprenticeship industry experience
- Hands on experience of GSK processes and procedures
- Demonstrable experience working with cross functional teams in a complex organisation
- Demonstrable experience in a leadership, training or team support function
- Experience working as a subject matter expect.
- Hands on experience of engineering project management
At GSK, we're a company with a special purpose, to help people do more feel better and live longer. Realising our purpose starts with us. When we feel at our best, we perform at our best.
When you set out on your adventure at GSK, we make a deal. You commit to living GSK's values and expectations and performing against our Innovation, Performance and Trust priorities. And in return, GSK commits to providing the right environment for you to thrive. Put simply, it's about you being motivated to do your best work, in a place where you can be you, feel good and keep growing.
Together we build an environment where we can all thrive and focus on what matters most to each of us. It is only through the energy, dedication, drive and passion of all of us that we can be the very best for GSK, and importantly, for our patients and consumers
As a company driven by our values of Patient focus, Transparency, Respect and Integrity, we know inclusion and diversity are essential for us to be able to succeed. We want all our colleagues to thrive at GSK bringing their unique experiences, ensuring they feel good and to keep growing their careers. As a candidate for a role, we want you to feel the same way.
As an Equal Opportunity Employer, we are open to all talent. In the US, we also adhere to Affirmative Action principles. This ensures that all qualified applicants will receive equal consideration for employment without regard to race/ethnicity, colour, national origin, religion, gender, pregnancy, marital status, sexual orientation, gender identity/expression, age, disability, genetic information, military service, covered/protected veteran status or any other federal, state or local protected class*(*US only).
We believe in an agile working culture for all our roles. If flexibility is important to you, we encourage you to explore with our hiring team what the opportunities are.
As you apply, we will ask you to share some personal information which is entirely voluntary. We want to have an opportunity to consider a diverse pool of qualified candidates and this information will assist us in meeting that objective and in understanding how well we are doing against our inclusion and diversity ambitions. We would really appreciate it if you could take a few moments to complete it. Rest assured, Hiring Managers do not have access to this information and we will treat your information confidentially.
Important notice to Employment businesses/ Agencies
GSK does not accept referrals from employment businesses and/or employment agencies in respect of the vacancies posted on this site. All employment businesses/agencies are required to contact GSK's commercial and general procurement/human resources department to obtain prior written authorization before referring any candidates to GSK. The obtaining of prior written authorization is a condition precedent to any agreement (verbal or written) between the employment business/ agency and GSK. In the absence of such written authorization being obtained any actions undertaken by the employment business/agency shall be deemed to have been performed without the consent or contractual agreement of GSK. GSK shall therefore not be liable for any fees arising from such actions or any fees arising from any referrals by employment businesses/agencies in respect of the vacancies posted on this site.