Finance Manager, Home-based
Finance Manager, Home-based
Report to: CEO
Location: Home working with meetings at YMI office in London
Rate: £220 - £250 per day inclusive of VAT and expenses. The rate negotiated will be dependent on your experience and VAT status.
Start date: October 2017
Length: Ongoing freelance
You Make It is a registered charity. Established as a short pilot in 2011, our programmes seek to empower unemployed young women to succeed in the social, cultural and economic life of the cities in which they live by brokering access to people, ideas, knowledge, places and experiences that inspire the desire and focus to make it in life.
See www.you-make-it.org to get a sense of the kinds of people and places behind our work – they are all passionate about making exciting and long term change happen in the lives’ of diverse young women.
YMI is looking for an exceptional Finance Manager with experience of charity accounting to oversee our finance function. We are looking for an experienced accountant with strong communication skills, to work closely with our staff team and Treasurer to ensure that our financial controls, records, budgets and reports are clear, accurate and well presented
Working mostly remotely but with regular office visits, we would expect you to tailor reports to the relevant stakeholders’ needs and meet all relevant deadlines set by staff, funder and trustees. You will also run the payroll for our small staff team, including auto-enrolment pension filings, and prepare the annual accounts for independent examination.
This is likely to be a freelance role which will sit alongside your other clients or commitments.
YMI is a charitable incorporated organisation working to a 31 March year end. Income is derived from public sources, Trusts, Foundations, individual and corporate donors, through a combination of restricted and unrestricted funding.
Accounting records are maintained on Quickbooks Online (QBO) with the majority of the day to day bookkeeping carried out by YMI’s Co-ordinator. Payments are also made by the staff team.
Annual budgets, once approved, are also held on QBO, to aid reporting and monitoring, and QBO classes are used to maintain analysis of costs against restricted funds. Payroll is currently run on Moneysoft and the pension provider is People’s Pension.
Reporting is currently on a receipts and payments basis but the charity is likely to outgrow this in the coming years.
KEY TASKS AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Review the monthly book-keeping carried out by the Co-ordinator and liaise over any inaccuracies or queries
- Complete the month end processing, including payroll journals, bank reconciliations and funds analysis
- Process monthly payroll (including staff expenses) onto accredited software and provide appropriate payslips and reports for staff. Process monthly pension reports to The People’s Pension
- Ensure sufficient funds are kept in the main current accounts, liaising with the CEO and Treasurer as necessary over funds transfers
- Ensure adequate budget vs actual reports are available on QBO for staff at all times
- Keep a close eye on spending against restricted funds, and raise any potential issues you identify with the CEO and Treasurer
- Ensure that QBO is well maintained, liaising with the Treasurer over any structural changes proposed
- Adhere to financial controls and ensure they remain fit for purpose, making recommendations to the CEO and Treasurer as appropriate.
- Prepare financial reports for submission to funders, in liaison with the staff team
- Prepare any additional forecasts, workings and reports required by the staff team or Treasurer
- Prepare quarterly Management Accounts against budget for the staff, Trustees and other stakeholders. Deadlines will be dictated by board meeting dates and funder reporting. This includes working with the staff team on latest full year forecasts against the original budget.
- Work with the staff team and Treasurer to produce the annual budget
- Prepare the annual accounts for independent examination; provide information for and liaise with the examiner, keeping the Treasurer and CEO updated on progress
- Professional accountancy qualification – AAT, ACCA, CIMA, ACA or similar or demonstrable equivalent work experience
- Previous experience of finance management role within a charity
- Experience using accounting software, preferably Quickbooks
- Experience of running payroll
- Strong Excel skills, for budgeting and other reporting
- Excellent attention to detail
- Positive, friendly and approachable
- Excellent communication skills; able to present and explain procedures, transactions, budgets and reports to non-finance professionals
- Ability to work in a small team
- Act always in the best interests of YMI
- Able to flex availability across the months to handle busier and quieter reporting periods
- A keen interest in YMI’s work
Please send a cover letter and CV to be considered for this role by close Monday 18 September 2017. Interviews will take place w/c Monday 25 September.