Director, Head of Biology, Cell & Gene Therapy - Oncology, Open to flexible working
This is a senior scientific leadership role, responsible for leading a research team focused on cell therapy target progression towards early clinical evaluation. You will develop the teams and their capabilities, enabling the unit to prosecute novel cell therapies and to integrate novel technologies, accelerating and enabling entry into clinical trials. You will lead, execute and deliver key research programmes, matrix managing large teams to ensure success.
In the position, you will directly manage a diverse pool of employees who are based mainly in the UK. This will require clear and consistent communication, messaging and leadership to ensure this is a cohesive, and high performing team. This group supports many of the activities around cell therapies, such as the CMC and clinical teams, meaning significant collaboration and influencing skills will be essential, in order to build and to influence a fantastic network of senior, internal and external stakeholders.
Key Responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
- Operating as a key member of the Oncology Cell Therapy Unit Leadership team to support the strategic planning, and effective running of the research unit.
- Developing and specifying objectives for the team that are aligned with the research unit and the oncology therapy area.
- Leading and driving internal teams of up to 20 (including sub-teams) scientists in the progression of targets and technologies to enhance efficacy of engineered cell products as well as technologies to simplify and accelerate manufacturing of cell therapies
- Programme leadership of critical internal or collaboration programmes, requiring matrix leadership, planning and stakeholder management.
- Identifying and evaluating partnering opportunities in line with the strategy and playing a key role in the due diligence analysis.
- Developing and managing a high performing team with outstanding talent.
- Accountable for role modelling and embedding GSK values and Oncology Cell Therapy RU strategy.
This is a true leadership role, with manages a significant team at multiple locations. As such, significant leadership skill is essential. This will include the ability to nurture talent, and to upskill a group, empowering scientific development and capability growth. You will need to be comfortable with accountability, able to represent your team at a senior level. This will include during collaborations with other teams, so communication and relationship building skills are vital. Managing a wide network of internal and external collaborators is a critical element of the role, so you must be able to create an environment which ensures the exchange of ideas, information and support across the business. With these various teams, you will also need to be able to persuade and to influence, winning commitment and trust and deftly managing expectations. To truly excel, you will also need a passion for science and will be driven by delivering successful results which ultimately benefit our patients.
CLOSING DATE for applications: Sunday 11th April (COB)
Please take a copy of the Job Description, as this will not be available post closure of the advert.
Required Qualifications and experience:
- Qualified to PhD or Post Doc level in Pharmaceutical Science
- Significant post-doctoral research experience
- Significant hands on experience in Drug Discovery
- Experience in the area of cell therapy research
- Proven leader, with experience managing multi-disciplinary teams
- Project and programme leadership experience
- Oncology research and leadership (e.g., having held leadership roles on Oncology therapeutic matrix teams)
- Clear evidence of effective communication skills
Preferred Qualifications and experience:
- Inclusion & Diversity advocacy/mentorship
- Data Integrity oversight
- Active participation in/membership with scientific organizations (e.g., AACR, ASCO)
- Translational or clinical research exposure/expertise
- Due diligence participation or leadership for 3rd party partnership pursuits
- Success in identifying & implanting cutting-edge technologies for therapeutic research
At GSK, we're a company with a special purpose, to help people do more feel better and live longer. Realising our purpose starts with us. When we feel at our best, we perform at our best.
When you set out on your adventure at GSK, we make a deal. You commit to living GSK's values and expectations and performing against our Innovation, Performance and Trust priorities. And in return, GSK commits to providing the right environment for you to thrive. Put simply, it's about you being motivated to do your best work, in a place where you can be you, feel good and keep growing.
Together we build an environment where we can all thrive and focus on what matters most to each of us. It is only through the energy, dedication, drive and passion of all of us that we can be the very best for GSK, and importantly, for our patients and consumers.
When applying for this role, please use the 'cover letter' of the online application or your CV to describe how you meet the competencies for this role, as outlined in the job requirements above. The information that you have provided in your cover letter and CV will be used to assess your application.
During the course of your application you will be requested to complete voluntary information which will be used in monitoring the effectiveness of our equality and diversity policies. Your information will be treated as confidential and will not be used in any part of the selection process. If you require a reasonable adjustment to the application / selection process to enable you to demonstrate your ability to perform the job requirements please contact 0808 234 4391. This will help us to understand any modifications we may need to make to support you throughout our selection process.
As a company driven by our values of Patient focus, Transparency, Respect and Integrity, we know inclusion and diversity are essential for us to be able to succeed. We want all our colleagues to thrive at GSK bringing their unique experiences, ensuring they feel good and to keep growing their careers. As a candidate for a role, we want you to feel the same way.
As an Equal Opportunity Employer, we are open to all talent. In the US, we also adhere to Affirmative Action principles. This ensures that all qualified applicants will receive equal consideration for employment without regard to race/ethnicity, colour, national origin, religion, gender, pregnancy, marital status, sexual orientation, gender identity/expression, age, disability, genetic information, military service, covered/protected veteran status or any other federal, state or local protected class*(*US only).
We believe in an agile working culture for all our roles. If flexibility is important to you, we encourage you to explore with our hiring team what the opportunities are.
As you apply, we will ask you to share some personal information which is entirely voluntary. We want to have an opportunity to consider a diverse pool of qualified candidates and this information will assist us in meeting that objective and in understanding how well we are doing against our inclusion and diversity ambitions. We would really appreciate it if you could take a few moments to complete it. Rest assured, Hiring Managers do not have access to this information and we will treat your information confidentially.
Important notice to Employment businesses/ Agencies
GSK does not accept referrals from employment businesses and/or employment agencies in respect of the vacancies posted on this site. All employment businesses/agencies are required to contact GSK's commercial and general procurement/human resources department to obtain prior written authorization before referring any candidates to GSK. The obtaining of prior written authorization is a condition precedent to any agreement (verbal or written) between the employment business/ agency and GSK. In the absence of such written authorization being obtained any actions undertaken by the employment business/agency shall be deemed to have been performed without the consent or contractual agreement of GSK. GSK shall therefore not be liable for any fees arising from such actions or any fees arising from any referrals by employment businesses/agencies in respect of the vacancies posted on this site.