Associate/Senior Associate Intellectual Property Advisory - open to flexible working and returners
Associate/Senior Associate Intellectual Property Advisory, Financial Advisory
Deloitte IP Advisory is the leading specialist intellectual property service provider supporting clients across the globe with IP Strategy and Transaction Advisory Services.
We help clients develop comprehensive IP strategies, implement effective IP processes, build and strengthen their IP portfolios, asses, value and monetise their IP and seek operational efficiencies. Through our services, clients are able to understand their competitive position, build value, manage risks and unlock additional income streams.
The IP Advisory team includes management consultants, business builders, licensing executives, IP valuation professionals, and technologists with decades of experience working with multinational FTSE and Fortune 100 companies as well as SME’s and academic institutions.
Our clients operate in fast-paced industries, across all industry sectors and we look to recruit people who can keep up with the latest technology trends, operate across industries and technologies, assess future markets and gather and analyse complex data to evaluate the outputs of R&D and innovation activities and develop an understanding of a wide range of intellectual assets types, such as patent portfolios, designs, trade secrets and know-how, trademarks and software and their use in supporting our clients’ business objectives.
People are the heart of our firm. We are a close knit, highly skilled team, well connected and recognised internationally as leading industry professionals. We can offer you a dynamic and challenging work environment, supported by professional training and development and the opportunity to work on challenging and highly significant projects.
Are you looking to return to the workplace after an extended career break?
For this role we can offer coaching and support designed for returners to refresh your knowledge and skills, and help your transition back into the workplace after a career break of 2 years or more. If this is relevant for you, just let your recruiter know when you make your application.
IP Advisory Associates provide support to the consulting activity of the senior team, undertaking IP analysis, technology and market research, and preparing reports on the IP portfolios of clients and companies active in their sector. Our Associates are encouraged to expand their experience by working with the more experienced team members on IP-centric transactions, such as IP divestitures, acquisitions, licensing and certain M&A mandates.
Associates receive on the job training, often rotating across different types of engagement, as well as frequent mentoring from senior team members and the leadership team.
- Undertaking market and technology research to understand the client’s competitive position
- Assisting clients in identifying and documenting their innovation(s) with a view to ensuring it is protected effectively, through the most appropriate IP mechanisms to support the client’s strategy and drive enterprise value
- Searching and analysing patent and non-patent data to find prior art, patents for acquisition or commercialisation opportunities for client’s own patents
- Developing marketing collateral and valuation models for a wide range of IP portfolios, including patents, trademarks, designs, database rights, knowhow and trade-secrets, in support of licensing or sale negotiations or acquisition programs
- Working effectively in diverse teams within an inclusive team culture where people are recognised for their contribution
Your work, your choice
At Deloitte we believe the best impact is the value we add, not the hours we sit at our desk. We carefully consider agile ways of working, both formal and informal, that allow for the best impact for our people and our clients. Please speak to your recruiter about the working pattern that works best for you.
Work pattern: This is a permanent role, on a full time basis.
Your professional experience
Deloitte IP Advisory looks for highly motivated, high achieving individuals with the following qualities:
- A science or engineering background capable of understanding complex technologies
- A degree in Computer Science, Physical Sciences, Software Engineering, Electronic Engineering, Medical Engineering or Mechanical Engineering (2:1 or higher) is highly valued, as well as postgraduate qualifications
- A thorough and methodical approach to research, data analysis and report writing
- A keen interest in innovation, technology and its commercial application
- Independent, motivated and self-driven whilst enjoying teamwork and cooperation
- Strong presentation and communication skills - remote and face to face client interaction is an expectation of the role
- Fluency in written and spoken English
- No prior knowledge or experience in intellectual property is required for entry level, but relevant qualifications (e.g. LLM or PG Certificate in IP), or experience, will be valued. A willingness to learn is essential.
- Candidates with prior experience in the intellectual property field also encouraged to apply
Your service line: Financial Advisory
Advising clients in the moments that define their business takes multiple layers of expertise. Much more than due-diligence, this is about diverse teams of specialists coming together, crossing service lines and international borders to tackle the many, complex issues involved in major transactions. And we have one of the broadest networks in the business. Here, you’ll find fascinating, career-building projects, market leading approaches, cutting-edge resources, huge clients and inspirational colleagues. As well as opportunities to develop a deep industry or product specialism.
Regulation and controls are standard practice in our industry and Deloitte is no exception. These controls provide important legal protection for both you and the firm. We are subject to a number of audit regulations, one of which requires that certain colleagues abide by specific personal independence constraints. This can mean that you and your "Immediate Family Members" are not permitted to hold certain financial interests (shares, funds, bonds etc.) with audit clients of the firm. The recruitment team will provide further detail as you progress through the recruitment process.
Our Purpose & Strategy
To make an impact that matters for our clients, our people and society - defines who we are and what we stand for. Our purpose provides the foundation for our strategy and our aspiration to be the undisputed leader in professional services: this is not about size, it's about being the first choice. The first choice for the largest and most influential clients, and the first choice for the best talent.
What do we do?
Deloitte offers global integrated professional services that include Audit & Assurance, Consulting, Financial Advisory, Legal, Risk Advisory and Tax Consulting. Our approach combines intellectual leadership, industrial expertise, insight, consulting & problem solving capabilities whatever the role, technology revolutions and innovation from multiple disciplines to help our clients excel anywhere in the world.
Beyond the UK: Deloitte North and South Europe
The UK is part of Deloitte North and South Europe (NSE), the second largest member firm in the Deloitte network. Deloitte NSE combines operations in Belgium, Central Mediterranean (Italy, Greece, Malta), Ireland, the Middle East (Bahrain, Cyprus, Egypt, Iraq, Jordan, Kuwait, Lebanon, Libya, Oman, Palestinian Ruled Territories, Qatar, Saudi Arabia, United Arab Emirates, Yemen), the Netherlands, the Nordics (Denmark, Finland, Iceland, Norway and Sweden), Switzerland and the UK. Deloitte NSE brings together 2,700 partners and over 50,000 people, combining our unmatched breadth and depth of capabilities in audit and assurance, consulting, financial advisory, risk advisory, and tax and legal across the region. Being part of Deloitte NSE supports our aspiration to be the undisputed leader in professional services and will create more opportunity and growth for our people.
What do we value?
What brings us all together at Deloitte? It’s how we approach the thousands of decisions we make every day. How we behave, our beliefs and our attitudes. In other words: our values. Whatever we do, wherever we are in the world, we lead the way, serve with integrity, take care of each other, foster inclusion, and collaborate for maximum impact. These five shared values lead every decision we make and action we take, guiding us to deliver impact how and where it matters most.
Being a Leader at Deloitte
Cultural fit and purpose-led leadership is crucial for Deloitte. Our leaders always set the example and inspire their colleagues. They make quality time for people and take an interest in them. They know what matters to people - both inside and outside work – and value them as individuals; always finding opportunities to develop them while showing respect and appreciation.
We expect colleagues at all levels to embrace and live our purpose and our leadership culture by challenging themselves to identify issues that are most important for our clients, our people, and for society and make an impact that matters. We know leadership comes in all shapes and sizes, but our Leadership Charter helps all of our people understand what we’re looking for:
- We live our purpose: we act as a role model, embracing and living our purpose and values, and recognising others for the impact they make
- We develop talent: we develop high-performing people and teams through challenging and meaningful opportunities
- We drive performance: we deliver exceptional client service; maximise results and drive high performance from people while fostering collaboration across businesses and borders
- We believe positive influence can make an impact that matters: we influence clients, teams, and individuals positively, leading by example and establishing confident relationships with increasingly senior people
- We move, together, towards a strategic direction: we understand key objectives for clients and Deloitte, aligning people to objectives and setting priorities and direction.
Deloitte LLP is a limited liability partnership registered in England and Wales with registered number OC303675 and its registered office at 1 New Street Square, London EC4A 3HQ, United Kingdom.
Deloitte LLP is the United Kingdom affiliate of Deloitte NSE LLP, a member firm of Deloitte Touche Tohmatsu Limited, a UK private company limited by guarantee ("DTTL"). DTTL and each of its member firms are legally separate and independent entities. DTTL and Deloitte NSE LLP do not provide services to clients. Please see www.deloitte.com/about to learn more about our global network of member firms.